Work Sharp Knife Sharpener

Work Sharp here...

This tool was intended for the sharpening challenged, not you guys who have mastered the skill already. There are countless ways to put an edge on a blade, this is ours.

Beginner or advanced, I think this looks like a VERY handy tool to have! Small enough to fit in the corner of a drawer or cupboard, versatile enough to handle just about any sort of edge (even serious recuves,) and with a wee bit of modification (like small squares of plastic taped on the guide) it becomes an adjustable angle sharpener.

Once or twice a year I have to sharpen my machete. While my EdgePro does a great job, it does take some time. It would be worth the bucks to have a powered tool to do it, since it doesn't take up any room to store.

Please let us know a bit more about where to order, how much for replacement belts, etc. I'd love to have one of these in my sharpening collection!

Stitchawl

Yes, the angle limit is discerning.

I imagine it would be pretty easy to mod the angle guide with just a piece of plastic. Using double sided tape, you could have several different angle guides available, giving very consistent edge angles. Certainly more accurate than trying to just eyeball the angle and hold it by hand. THAT takes a lot of skill and experience.

Stitchawl

I've been thinking about this since the other worksharp thread. I don't know where you could go too terribly wrong, a belt sander is a belt sander. 6K grit is very nice, a cork or felt belt that could be loaded with compound would also be great. As long as the construction is good and the belts hold up reasonably well, I may bring one to the 'stan with some extra belts.

I've been thinking about this since the other worksharp thread. I don't know where you could go too terribly wrong, a belt sander is a belt sander. 6K grit is very nice, a cork or felt belt that could be loaded with compound would also be great. As long as the construction is good and the belts hold up reasonably well, I may bring one to the 'stan with some extra belts.

I just like the idea that it's small and compact, can be 'put away' during the months it's not getting used, but only takes opening a drawer and plugging it in to be back in business. Also, you can take IT to the things to be sharpened, rather than having to go out into the garage to sharpen a knife. I usually do my sharpening at the kitchen table while my wife is reading a book. I like the fact that we can both do our own thing and yet still be together.

If you can be happy with a 20° angle on your edge, there isn't any need for modifications. For my smaller folders I prefer closer to 17° so a thin shim of plastic would be all I'd need to make me happy.

Stitchawl

Im wondering with such a small belt if the blade would get hot pretty quick as compared to the bigger 1x30 belts on the bigger machines. The smaller belt wouldnt have as much "cool off" time.

I also heard that the belt is traveling at around 4000 rpm? Seems rather high. I got this information from a vendor selling it online, so Im not sure how accurate it is.

Im wondering with such a small belt if the blade would get hot pretty quick as compared to the bigger 1x30 belts on the bigger machines. The smaller belt wouldnt have as much "cool off" time.

With a total of 10 passes of only two seconds each as the video shows, for a total of twenty seconds with time spent in between each pass to move to the opposite side, that doesn't seem to me to be a real problem. I suppose that if someone were to try to do production work on it, doing dozens of knives at a time, there could be problems. But then, that's not what this device is for, and not how I would want to use it. I don't make my living sharpening other folk's knives. Just my own and friends. This sharpener might get used 4-5 times a year at most in my house. The rest of the time I'd choose an EdgePro and a Sharpmaker.

I also heard that the belt is traveling at around 4000 rpm? Seems rather high. I got this information from a vendor selling it online, so Im not sure how accurate it is.

I wrote directly to the manufacturer for more information. I'd like to purchase one and see what it can do.

Stitchawl

I just noticed that they sell a 12,000 grit belt for this device too... More and more I like the idea of the Work Sharp!! :thumbup:

Stitchawl

I think that the 12,000 ultra fine belt is for the Work Sharp 2000 which is a different model. Not sure that it would work for the tool we are discussing.

I think that the 12,000 ultra fine belt is for the Work Sharp 2000 which is a different model. Not sure that it would work for the tool we are discussing.

I don't think so. The 2000 is a circular flat grinder. These are belts for the knife sharpener. They probably fit both the new dedicated knife sharpener AND the attachment for the 2000. Take a look...
http://www.tylertool.com/wssa0002008.html
However, I'll know for sure when I get mine.

Stitchawl

You might be right, I will call the company later today and see. That would make it much more versatile.

I just got off the phone with the company. No, the 12,000 Ultra Fine is NOT for the WSKTS--that belt is for the Work Sharp 2000 when utilizing the knife sharpening attatchment. It is much too long for the tool we are discussing.

They said they have no plans as of now to make the belts in anything but the three they offer now--80, 220, and 6000

When I looked at it, I was thinking, "Wow, that might be cool with a leather stropping pad on top", and then I realized they had one in the accessories section. :D

I would like one of those with 3 leather disks please. :D

This tool uses 1/2" x 12" abrasive belts from Norton and Micro-Mesh. This is a standard size for these manufacturers. Many industrial supply stores either stock or can get such belts.
We also build custom belt kits for customers, mix and match the belts you want.

Is there a way to adjust the belt speed or adjust the tension? I know it's a lot to ask for a handheld device, but that would add a lot of value to it.

Have you guys tested any Scandi ground knives on it? If not, could you try? I'd be interested to know how that turns out, if it puts a curve on the edge or succeeds in keeping it flat.

One problem I have with the video was suggesting people sharpen their serrated knives by grinding the flat side. That would shorten the life of the blade rather quickly.

??? It's a perfectly good alternative. No need to be snide.

I think he was just commenting on how surprising it was richardj would prefer the paper wheels. lol

Anyway, is we talking about a 20 degree inclusive angle or 20 per side ( 40 inclusive ) ?

What is the belt speed, the rpm is of little consequence until we find out what the drive wheel diameter is. The 1x30 HF turns at 3400 rpm, and I'm pretty sure the drive wheel is bigger.

Good questions guys...

- We have not tested the tool on Scandi knives.
- Our serrated method uses only the 6000 grit belt to hone a very slight micro-bevel on the blade and does not remove very much blade steel at all.
- The belt tension is preset and not adjustable, nor is the motor speed.
- The 20° angle is indeed per bevel (40° inclusive) unless you prefer a 20° single bevel.
- The belt speed is 3600 SFPM. Our testing shows no blade overheating during sharpening and no owners of this tool have mentioned this issue to us.

Back