World War I Navy Issue Knife

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
It was for WWI that this pattern of knife was made and issued.
Mostly for sailors, it was also issued to members of other military branches.
Mike Silvey, in his "Complete Book of Military Pocket Knives" lists several companies who made them;
Schatt & Morgan, Robeson, Valley Forge, Camillus, Cattaraugus, Union, Imperial, New York and Canton are examples that he has collected. Camillus alone made over 150,000 of them!
I have a penchant for collecting purpose-built knives, and really like this pattern. It is compact and useful, and pleasing to my eye in its simplicity.

Rope%201_zps99wen6og.jpg

Ken Erickson likes this knife's design so much, he agreed to make a pair of them for me!

Rope%202_zps9dbgscjt.jpg

Having the knives made by modern custom knifemakers is a sort of celebration of the great engineering of the time, and a tribute to the simple, straightforward design work from a bygone era!
That is why I have done the same with Harness Jacks, Electricians Knives and Barlows.

Please enjoy these, and post some if you have them!;)

Absolutely beautiful Charlie, congratulations on a fine collection there :thumbup:

They carried a tin cup for their tot of Grog, as far as I know Meako!;)

Thanks for the compliments Jake and Jon!

Those manicure blades probably helped when you broke a nail mending rope (but hopefully not opening your knife!)

I've often wondered if any of these knives created some great Scrimshaw! Probably did!

Neat looking knives, Charlie. I especially like the jigging on the first one and also the design of the main blade, of course. Treasures from the past.

Stunning knives Charlie. Unfortunately I just don't come across these old ones as much as I would like- and you have some outstanding examples.

I am guessing that these knives are for personal grooming and the big blades are razors.? Is there a utilitarian reason for the false edge or swedge on the back of the big blades?

I am guessing that these knives are for personal grooming and the big blades are razors.? Is there a utilitarian reason for the false edge or swedge on the back of the big blades?

They are not razors, MC. You would struggle to shave with that blade. The file/manicure blade kept your nails maintained, and the main blade was designed to cut rope well. The swedge reduces bulk, and eases slicing through deep material.

Back