Worst nightmare came true: PD confiscated my ParaMilitary..

:sigh, resumed carrying today (ZDP Delica, no clip, pivot locked down as tight as possible, but still flicks open in reverse grip)..and ended up needing it to help a buddy open something in a blisterpack..

Sounds like an expensive knife to lose. Consider getting a neck rig for concealability? a slipjoint, friction folder or locking SAK? I would but i don't follow my own advice. Good luck with your court date. i'd get a letter from a boss / supervisor instead of a coworker.

In the uk we can only legally cary a penknife, any fixed blade or even lockknife are only legal on private property, the penknife is 3.5ins max and must be in a bag. This is nonsense but covers our police for confiscating any knife at anytime, incidently, the penkinfe is illegal anywhere in a backpack if you enter any populated area, such as a pub or football ground. If you want to stay safe with the judge follow the advice of the collectors here(fantastic support!) and take a print out of this thread with you!
good luck

Any well designed or at the very least almost all well designed folders will fail that test.

From MOD to CRKT, well made blades can be flipped with centrifugal force.

Actually "flicking" a knife open isn't technically a result of centrifugal force or gravity. It is a result of inertia. In order for something to be a gravity knife, the blade must deploy simply according to the position it is in in an unlocked position. That is, the blade slides out when held downward and the lock is released. To open a knife with centrifugal force, you would have to hold the knife and spin around until it flies open. Anybody's knives pass that test?

Don't take a lawyer into court, take a physicist! Actually a high school physics teacher would do.

NC doesn't have a blade length restriction, though people often think we do because folks import that whole idea from other places. I'm not sure if any of our cities have restrictions, but I've never heard of any. You can carry most knives as long as they are NOT concealed, unless some one wants to label it a "dirk, dagger or bowie knife". The funny thing is, even if you have a concealed carry permit for a gun you still can't carry any knife other than a "normal pocketknife" concealed. !!!??? The definitions of the things in quotes above are all contingent on case law, and I still think they have to prove intent.

I for one am glad that the wise and wonderful laws of NYC saved us from the mass murder that surely was inevitable should GarageBoy have been allowed to retain his knife.

Incidentally, does anyone know the history of these laws? Are they old, an artifact of the 19th century disarmament of the proles, just as Jim Crow anti-gun laws were aimed at disarming blacks?

I for one am glad that the wise and wonderful laws of NYC saved us from the mass murder that surely was inevitable should GarageBoy have been allowed to retain his knife.

Incidentally, does anyone know the history of these laws? Are they old, an artifact of the 19th century disarmament of the proles, just as Jim Crow anti-gun laws were aimed at disarming blacks?

The NYC concealment requirement was put into the administrative code in the 1970's.

mp510, it was a bit later in the mid 1980s that HIZZZHONOR Koch passed the law. As for the Gravity knife law, try 1958 in NY.

did you ever get your knife back, I would go nuts if a $100 knife was stolen from me/. I would do $100 worth of damage to govt or city owned property

So a cop walks up to you and grabs your knife? Hmmm... It must have been out in the open where he and everybody else could see it. Sounds to me like that's definitely the wrong profile to display in good old NYC. Why?

Really think that's a good solution to the situation??????????

what else would you suggest, I would never get over it. I would do it for $5. I am really strict when it comes to money as I and my family is pretty poor, so when we loose something its a big hit.

what else would you suggest, I would never get over it. I would do it for $5. I am really strict when it comes to money as I and my family is pretty poor, so when we loose something its a big hit.

Being really strict when it comes to money is fine in my book.

I think though that we're starting to drift from the thread topic, so I'll leave it at that.

I dont mean to sound like a ass, but cmon, if something is confiscated, there should not even be a question that the owner should get it back.

So, lets say hypothetically that you have a sawn off shotgun that the police find at your house and confiscate. You think they should just give it right back? It's the same concept, not saying I agree with the initial confiscation at all but technically it was an illegal knife.

confiscated = illegal = not returnable by NY Law....I know this great nation of ours has many different laws on waepons, but I am willing to say that if a weapon is confiscated due to being illegal by its design that it would not be returned anywhere in the good old USA.....Also the knife was not in any way "stolen", it was taken into the custody of the state of NY with the proper paper work used.....I am a knife nut like the rest of you, but disrespect for the law and calling LEOs thiefs and recommending destroying property belonging to the state are all really immature and uneducated statements.

I can't accept that mindset.

Such laws shouldn't exist in the first place. The fact that it's "legal" for the cops to steal a guy's knife under the auspices of a bad law doesn't make it right. "Legal" is now always "right" or "good," and "Illegal" is not always wrong/bad.

Back