Would you buy a bladeless SAK?

I keep the Wenger Swiss Clipper AT in my carry on bag while flying. I recently bought a Victorinox Jetsetter to go with it to keep on my keychain when I travel.

I wouldn't. I might be in the minority, but I don't like to carry multiple knives. I always carry a knife of some sort, but when I carry a SAK, it is the only knife I have on me. If I were to carry a bladeless SAK, then I would have to carry another knife to compensate, and that would add an additional item to my pockets.

Since I'm currently spending a week on a business trip and couldn't bring mine since I flew, it sounds very appealing right now.

Yeah, I would take a bladeless sak but it sure wouldn't feel the same.
It would help if there be a slotted tool blade which allows the removal or attachment for xacto blades
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a7uvXRPMzQA
or scalpels
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cB2SsoZEVCs

And while such a tool can never hope to take the place of the existing sak's large main blade tool,
I certainly believe that it would make any such feature an attractive and marketable future product...

It would be tempting, even if only to desensitize the TSA goon/thieves to pocket tools. I've always thought the post 9-11 knife bans were kinda like buying 'Lo-Jack" after the car has already been stolen.

I'd prefer to be able to carry my normal Manager, Small Tinker, and Nail Clip 580, but they're not allowed through security anymore. I'd rather have the bladeless models than no SAK while traveling.

Yup. Rarely use the blade as I always have another knife on me, but the tools frequently come in handy.

Wonder if a small gut hook could be useful enough to do a lot of knife stuff?and would the TSA still consider it a knife?-It would be kind of interesting ,I would buy one rather than have nothing at all

Yep. For sure. I carry a knife, a multi-tool, and two SAKs with me every day at work. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've used the blade on the SAKs. The other Tools? Pretty much invaluable.

Surprised how many people here actually use the SAK blade. I always have a separate pocket knife so the SAK blade(s) are redundant. I wish there was a better selection of bladeless multi tools. Not to appease the TSA weenies, but just because I'd rather have a smaller, thinner, lighter tool (or more tools in the same size), than carry around 1-3 blades that will NEVER be used.

Use my SAK blades every day, usually multiple times. Use other tools too just not as much as my blades.

Its funny but the blades on my Electrician are what I use the most . I've used the bottle opener a couple of times , but to be honest I can open a bottle with just about anything so that isn't really a must have tool .
When I carry a SAK its mainly because they for some reason seem to be the most widely acceptable pocket knife that the general unknowing uneducated public don't seem to have a problem with . They are not considered dangerous and deadly .
For me they are a way of still carrying a Blade in some situations when my normal EDC knives would be considered inappropriate .
If I want and need to carry pocket tools , then my Leatherman is what gets carried , the pliers are the most used feature followed by the screw driver bits .

Ken

In watching one of the OEM vids, the CEO makes note of the impact of 9/11. That's why they've diversified into SA-branded luggage, apparel, watches etc.
But, if you're like me, I get more, if not MOST use out of my SAK for the other tools. I've always got other knives with me, and frankly, I'll grab my stockmen for blade use for almost all reasons.

I use my magnifyer, reamer(backspring awl), scissors the most. I've also used the pack-hook and CS, LOL. I'd love to see SAK introduce a few models themselves to test the waters..The TSA-Series.

Would you buy one, assuming the proper compliment of your faves?

YES! I already do this with my Dremmel cut-off tool.

Like you, I don't rely on a multi-function knife/tool for a knife blade. I have XL gloved sized hands and EDC an Opinel #9 99% of the time. I augment this with a Leatherman Micra (which replaced a long line of Victorinox Classics for me).

EDC Pair by Pinnah, on Flickr

Like you, I use the tools on the Micra a lot, but rarely use the pen blade. That's a bit of an overstatement and I'll come back to that in a second. But generally, when I need to cut something, I just use my Opinel.

You will note that my Micra still has it's pen blade. When I need to fly, I carry a Micra that I cut the blade off of. It goes through TSA just fine. It's the red one here:

image by Pinnah, on Flickr

Another place where I prefer a knifeless tool is my luggable full-sized multi-tools. I carry one in my daypack all the time for EDC and honestly, the knife blade is worse than useless. I already have my Opinel and all the knife blade does is force me to leave the MT behind when I need to visit places that don't allow knife blades. It's extra weight and causes problems. I have 2 MTs that will soon loose their blades for this reason.

Getting back to the pen blade on the Micra... I've started to whittle a bit in the past few years and the Micra's short blade is very useful for that. The Micra can be opened full length and makes a comfortable whittler. And it's nice to have a blade I can hand people who ask, "Can I borrow your knife." But honestly, other than giving up the whittling, I don't rely on that blade.

Lastly, I wouldn't label the line the TSA line. I'd call it the "Companion" line. Tools for people who already carry a knife.

I would get it if it would be allowed on planes, etc. however if it had scissors and other "dangerous" tools they might not let it through security anyways!

Back