Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing the world can do for American manufacturing is merciless, unfair, cutthroat competition.

Yes and have in The past... they were a quality knife at a cheep price...
Used to keep en in the tackel box and glove compartment

Well true but then i could not respond to afishhunters #205 and say US Steel is back and we now export more oil than we import!!
Hopefully that is why Buck is retooling to start bringing some Chinese bucks back to the USA!!
Good to hear about the steel manufacturing and oil.

For an EDC yes the quality is good. For my collection i have chosen to only purchase U.S. made.

You hit the nail on the head! I think China knives arent so much for collecting as really at the price who cares if the knife gets abused? I dont abuse knives but if i had a choice it would be a cheaper less/non collectable knife....IJS?

The problem with the Chinese-made Bucks that interest me is the 420J2 blade steel. Tinfoil is nearly as good. It's painful to me to see the Buck name on that crap, especially when the Chinese are fully capable of making a good knife. 8Cr13MoV is a decent steel that they can do well. I wonder if the choice of craptastic steel was to make sure that the Chinese line didn't outperform the US-made line? If so, that seems like a pretty short-sighted decision.

I don't think 420j2 is that bad for the intended purpose and cost point. Not like it has to last thru skinning out an elk without resharpening. Low cost light duty utility knife and easy for average joe to resharpen. No need for name calling, there are other models and steels for every need or want.

Last edited:
The problem with the Chinese-made Bucks that interest me is the 420J2 blade steel. Tinfoil is nearly as good. It's painful to me to see the Buck name on that crap, especially when the Chinese are fully capable of making a good knife. 8Cr13MoV is a decent steel that they can do well. I wonder if the choice of craptastic steel was to make sure that the Chinese line didn't outperform the US-made line? If so, that seems like a pretty short-sighted decision.

420J2 is basically incapable of rusting, is incredibly easy to make sharp, and is easy to touch up after using. I specifically bought a buck mini trapper in 420J2 for my nephew because he was 9 years old and had never owned a knife before. I was a 9 year old once... No point in buying something spendy and nice if it's just going to be used to scrape, pry, stab, and maybe cut and whittle. It's a nice knife for him to learn on without my having to give him a hard time when he eventually loses it. Also, 420J2 is soft... Sharpen it on a diamond steel every once in a while and you'll pretty quickly wear away plenty of blade, allowing you to buy another knife!

Would I like to see a 420HC (or S30V) full sized trapper with sawcut delrin and/or water buffalo manufactured by Buck in the USA? Absolutely, but until then, the 420J2 stuff has it's place. I just wish both were offered at the same time.

Yea the write up i read on 420j2 wasn’t bad at all. Steel snobs may see it differently but as was said intended use its good enough.

... I specifically bought a buck mini trapper in 420J2 for my nephew because he was 9 years old and had never owned a knife before...

OK, you've got me. I can't think of a better user for 420J2. If I were still 9 years old, I'd be thrilled with the stuff. Fifty years later, I want something that can skin out an apple before I need to resharpen it. :)

I like the Chinese made canoes. I carry one daily. just like it. more cause buck doesnt make an american made one currently. also cause it was cheap and works. if they did start making canoes in America, I'd likely switch.

OK, you've got me. I can't think of a better user for 420J2. If I were still 9 years old, I'd be thrilled with the stuff. Fifty years later, I want something that can skin out an apple before I need to resharpen it. :)
I have a silver creek fillet knife and bait knife and they seem to hold the edge fine.

I have a number of them. Overall I’m very pleased. Steel’s not as good, but easy to sharpen. Fit and finish is, in almost every case, as good and sometimes better than sister US made models. The backsprings on my 371’s, for example, are much stiffer than my 301’s. The Nobleman in the first pic is the only disappointment. Gaps between bolsters and scales

I don’t go looking for them. Some were gifts others clearance items or too cheap to pass up trolling the bay

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head! I think China knives arent so much for collecting as really at the price who cares if the knife gets abused? I dont abuse knives but if i had a choice it would be a cheaper less/non collectable knife....IJS?
I didn't say they weren't for collecting just I have chose to keep my purchases USA made. My experience with the quality is good.

I have an old Camillus-made 303 that I got in 1974. I like it far more than the US-made 303s of today, let alone the 373s. Call me an old fart, but they just don't make them like they used to ... If I want a replacement, I'm shopping used, not new.

Not interested in Chinese Buck knives. Now and then I'll buy a CRKT or Kershaw because I'm interested in the design. Made in China expected. After a while I give them away.

I have and will still buy China made bucks. My favorite ever was a 376 Brio. Supposedly an exclusive for a local home builder store called Menards. Man that thing was nice. There’s another I’m eyeing right now at bass pro.

I have a silver creek fillet knife and bait knife and they seem to hold the edge fine.

All depends on your needs and your standards. That application is all cutting on flesh, which is very soft. At a bare minimum, I expect a knife to be able to break down a cardboard box or two and still shave hair. When a knife stops shaving hair, I sharpen it. 420J2 can't be run hard enough to meet my standard. The other side of the coin is heat treat. A decent steel can be badly treated and not perform. A marginal steel like 420HC can be treated well and perform OK. Buck is the only company from whom I'll consider a knife in 420HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back