Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at Canadian Tire today and I saw four models that I've never seen until today. I think they are a Canadian exclusive.

TAH, how do you sharpen the chop sticks and how do you tweeze grains of rice with American buck knife blade tips?

Good question, Haebbie. I use my American made Buck knife to sharpen the tips of the Chinese made chopsticks and simply stab each grain of rice with the sharpened chopstick tip. I would not recommend this method to anyone with a lack of patience. :D

I got a Buck Toothpick. China. Looks and feels ok, but never again and I would not buy another 110 or 112 unless American Made.

I was just at Canadian Tire today and I saw four models that I've never seen until today. I think they are a Canadian exclusive.

I bought a Steel Ridge combo pack from CT back in January. They are not listed on the Buck site, nor will Google bring anything up but only on the CT site. I paid $25 (reg price $69). The smaller of the two tanto bladed knives is a little too small and I can't really operate it one handed (the detent is really stiff), so I gave it to my daughter. The larger knife is ok and quite smooth (nylon washers) but the clip is really tight and it takes two hands to clip it in my pocket, so it now resides in my glove box.

The second combo pack is the Nobleman/Colleague pack that also retailed for $69 and got it on clear out for $17. The nobleman is not a bad knife (looks kinda like a Spyderco) but the detent is almost non existent and it won't flick open without a lot of arm flailing but other than that not too bad, however, that was the last "cheap Chinese made" Buck I will buy.

The Colleague knife, on the other hand, is pretty well useless so it stays in the "cookie tin" it came in.

I am reminded of the fashion industry,
Where there would be labelings stating
"Design in xxx, manufactured in zzz"
Or simply a very visible designers name
and an obscure placing with very minute fine print
Of the place of origin.
Thing is most folks buy for the styling
And not because they are in desperate need
Of the object desired.
Chances are it's not gonna be their first buy ever either.
They can choose where or with whom
They wish to patronise from.
If they are smart, the obvious choice
Is based upon the quality for the price, above all.
So, unless one is hyper sensitive about
Other particular matters that they personally feel
Is highly important to weigh in
Before any said purchase,
I would be looking more at what better alternatives
There are for the money to be spent at hand.
Or just try and wait it out for the longest time possible
To see if things would actually get the better of me.

I am reminded of the fashion industry,
Where there would be labelings stating
"Design in xxx, manufactured in zzz"
Or simply a very visible designers name
and an obscure placing with very minute fine print
Of the place of origin.
Thing is most folks buy for the styling
And not because they are in desperate need
Of the object desired.
Chances are it's not gonna be their first buy ever either.
They can choose where or with whom
They wish to patronise from.
If they are smart, the obvious choice
Is based upon the quality for the price, above all.
So, unless one is hyper sensitive about
Other particular matters that they personally feel
Is highly important to weigh in
Before any said purchase,
I would be looking more at what better alternatives
There are for the money to be spent at hand.
Or just try and wait it out for the longest time possible
To see if things would actually get the better of me.
I THINK I know whag you mean.....

I bought a Steel Ridge combo pack from CT back in January. They are not listed on the Buck site, nor will Google bring anything up but only on the CT site. I paid $25 (reg price $69). The smaller of the two tanto bladed knives is a little too small and I can't really operate it one handed (the detent is really stiff), so I gave it to my daughter. The larger knife is ok and quite smooth (nylon washers) but the clip is really tight and it takes two hands to clip it in my pocket, so it now resides in my glove box.

The second combo pack is the Nobleman/Colleague pack that also retailed for $69 and got it on clear out for $17. The nobleman is not a bad knife (looks kinda like a Spyderco) but the detent is almost non existent and it won't flick open without a lot of arm flailing but other than that not too bad, however, that was the last "cheap Chinese made" Buck I will buy.

The Colleague knife, on the other hand, is pretty well useless so it stays in the "cookie tin" it came in.
I swear I saw some made in China fixed blades that I've never seen before. I couldn't get the model # because every clamshell had it sharpied out.

Ha. I just finished reading a rather lengthy thread about Kershaw on the general sub-forum that has many complaining about the lack of U.S. production, and the proliferation of "over-seas" production. It seems to be a disease that is spreading.

I swear I saw some made in China fixed blades that I've never seen before. I couldn't get the model # because every clamshell had it sharpied out.
I just had an interesting thought. As DM said that Buck is bringing a lot of production back to the States, maybe Buck is getting retailers (such as Canadian Tire, Walmart et al) to blow out some of the overseas stock at a low price?

Slip joints are legal there?
According to a friend who moved his yacht manufacturing/modification/remodeling and repair company from Tampa, Florida to China several years ago, it is illegal to carry any knife, even a peanut pattern or a SAK in China, except as noted in my post above.

I bought a 373 Chinese-made medium stockman rather than the USA-made 303 because the 373 had wood covers rather than black Delrin. I was prepared not to like it much, but it has become my favorite EDC slipjoint. The fit & finish is excellent, heat treatment on the blades seems up to par; just a solid well-made pocket knife. I truly want Buck to stay in business. I trust their QC. I would have no problem buying another Chinese Buck. Actually, probably going to buy a Selkirk pretty soon.

It's not just Buck. Many cutlery companies are doing it. Buck is one of the few that are bringing theirs back to U.S. made. It is more in vogue now as American made pride is returning. DM

being in the hvac industry i get to tour american factories all over the country and canada. lots of visa foreign workers doing the actual work on the lines. these arent assumptions i asked upper management who are touring with us. their answer of why was cant get americans to do a lot of the work. now there are older workers americans who have always been there. granted this isnt the knife industry, that could be far different?

that aside......now if we could just get american workers to take pride in their work again.....guess im asking for too much:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back