WS 1020 not dishwasher or idiot safe

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by ARMYOf1, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ARMYOf1

ARMYOf1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Well I am off to a bad start with my WS 1020. I will start off by saying it came super sharp! Maybe the sharpest edge on a Busse or kin I have received. I have had a bit of a bad run in the first day of owning it. So Immediately after and boxing and cleaning off the corrosion Resistant goop, I stuck the blade into the leather sheath and stabbed the point of blade through the side of the sheath. The sheaths aren’t molded yet to the shape of the blade and it must have bitten into the leather as I pushed it in.
    That evening which was thanksgiving we prepared 4 racks of lamb into chops for the smoker, which came out fabulous I might add. I used the WS 1020 and cut through the racks with surgical Percision. I also prepared yams, mixed onions and garlic and did some other meal prep with it. The knife cut and handles beautifully in hand. Edge stayed razor sharp through out meal prep. Well after a big meal and quite a few 12% stout ales, I retired to the living room and left my daughter to clean up the kitchen. She loaded my knife up into the dishwasher and the result was surprising. Now I know that carbon steel knives are not dishwasher safe, so this was entirely self inflicted. The blade came out with bad rust spots and the edge of the the knife was dulled. Let this be a fair warning, don’t put your knives in the dishwasher...What do you guys suggest for getting out the rust spots? I might need to just send it back for a refurbish

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Malkav, Twoody and oldmanwilly like this.
  2. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Did it at least dent some pots, breaks some glass or mangle some silverware? Did it go down fighting?

mollett89, jakob.k, evltcat and 4 others like this.
  3. Demon613

Demon613

Oct 13, 2010
    This was a remarkable story and reminded me of a Shakespearean tragedy. Please continue.

ScoMa likes this.
  4. ARMYOf1

ARMYOf1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Well the worst part is when my wife unloaded the dishwasher and said my new “cheap” knife was all rusty and I should contact the seller on Amazon. I didn’t go in to detail with her or Obviously discuss pricing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    954Ink, ipal, evltcat and 6 others like this.
  5. Haldir00

Haldir00 Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2003
    Alas, poor SYKCO! I knew him, Steel Heart: a fellow with sharpness of point, of most razor like edge: he hath mangled my sheath and diced my vegetables; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!

scdub, Icky Thump, evltcat and 6 others like this.
  6. barleywino

barleywino Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 11, 2020
    To remove rust, I rub it with baking soda and a damp paper towel.

WatermanChris and ARMYOf1 like this.
  7. grizzle

grizzle Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2016
    I'd just hit it high grit sand paper, but it'll def scratch the finish.

ARMYOf1 likes this.
  8. Big Ol’ Hauger

Big Ol’ Hauger Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Some Flitz or other metal polish, maybe Mothers Milk, might do the trick. Hopefully, the water wasn’t hot enough to mess with the temper.

ARMYOf1 likes this.
  9. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Fine Steel wool and dish soap will take it right off. And there is no way in hell it got hot enough to mess with the temper. Don’t worry about that. :rolleyes:

Just knock the actual rust off and oil it up.

Hard Knocks, Jaxx, Icky Thump and 5 others like this.
  10. cobrajet

cobrajet Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Hopefully it didn't get under the handle. Dinner sounds delicious though

ARMYOf1 likes this.
  11. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    My condolences on how it happened, but now your knife's got "COVID Thanksgiving character"! It'll be a good story to use to teach your daughter about carbon steel knives! (If she cares)

12. Big Ol’ Hauger

Big Ol’ Hauger Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2019
    You’re probably right about the temp. I’m just used to commercial/industrial dishwashers. Those big ‘uns can get pretty hot. I’ve always hand washed at home. *sniffle*

13. Gravelface

Gravelface Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Man. If my dishwasher ever damaged one of my knives, Lady Gravelface would be in trouble........

WatermanChris, Busto, ARMYOf1 and 3 others like this.
  14. cashville

cashville Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Bar keepers friend is great for eating away at corrosion

15. Crag the Brewer

Crag the Brewer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2018
    All I heard was delicious smoked lambs, and Many fine Beers (I'm a Stout guy, too)…….
    With Loved ones.
    Sounded like you had the Best Thanksgiving get together so far, that I heard of. I'm jealous. :D

I use bar keepers friend too, it's awesome stuff for cleaning.

16. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    Stab the dishwasher. Repeated stabbings will remove the rust and as an added bonus serve retribution on the offending appliance.

Or, just pop on the TV, sit down, and Flitz the blade for a few hours.

ipal, ARMYOf1, ScoMa and 1 other person like this.
  17. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Well played sir, well played! You need to post more often.

WatermanChris, ARMYOf1 and Haldir00 like this.
  18. Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Happy to clean it up for you and take care of the edge - no charge in the spirit of the season. PM me if interested. These scrapyard dogs sometimes need a little tlc and they are known to bite

19. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    They make things called rust erasers...it's like a rubber/gum eraser with abrasive embedded in the matrix...work pretty well for me but I've never used it on widespread rust just pepper spotting and unwanted patina.

But as others have stated about various polishes and sandpapers, they're all basically abrasive and will scratch the satin finish to a certain degree based on the grit/finish level of your weapon of choice.

On the bright side, it's like getting a dent in a new car...now use the HECK outta your blade and beat her like a rented mule.

20. Twoody

Twoody Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 28, 2020
    I just removed a full forced patina on my CS satin r3 with 0000 grit steel wool and mag wheel polish(all i had left on deck) brought back to a shine in a few half ass minutes.. 0 scratches on the sr101

scdub, duramax, AntDog and 1 other person like this.