WS 1020 not dishwasher or idiot safe

ARMYOf1

Gold Member
Well I am off to a bad start with my WS 1020. I will start off by saying it came super sharp! Maybe the sharpest edge on a Busse or kin I have received. I have had a bit of a bad run in the first day of owning it. So Immediately after and boxing and cleaning off the corrosion Resistant goop, I stuck the blade into the leather sheath and stabbed the point of blade through the side of the sheath. The sheaths aren’t molded yet to the shape of the blade and it must have bitten into the leather as I pushed it in.
That evening which was thanksgiving we prepared 4 racks of lamb into chops for the smoker, which came out fabulous I might add. I used the WS 1020 and cut through the racks with surgical Percision. I also prepared yams, mixed onions and garlic and did some other meal prep with it. The knife cut and handles beautifully in hand. Edge stayed razor sharp through out meal prep. Well after a big meal and quite a few 12% stout ales, I retired to the living room and left my daughter to clean up the kitchen. She loaded my knife up into the dishwasher and the result was surprising. Now I know that carbon steel knives are not dishwasher safe, so this was entirely self inflicted. The blade came out with bad rust spots and the edge of the the knife was dulled. Let this be a fair warning, don’t put your knives in the dishwasher...What do you guys suggest for getting out the rust spots? I might need to just send it back for a refurbish

Last edited:
Well the worst part is when my wife unloaded the dishwasher and said my new “cheap” knife was all rusty and I should contact the seller on Amazon. I didn’t go in to detail with her or Obviously discuss pricing.

Last edited:
Well I am off to a bad start with my WS 1020. I will start off by saying it came super sharp! Maybe the sharpest edge on a Busse or kin I have received. I have had a bit of a bad run in the first day of owning it. So Immediately after and boxing and cleaning off the corrosion Resistant goop, I stuck the blade into the leather sheath and stabbed the point of blade through the side of the sheath. The sheaths aren’t molded yet to the shape of the blade and it must have bitten into the leather as I pushed it in.
That evening which was thanksgiving we prepared 4 racks of lamb into chops for the smoker, which came out fabulous I might add. I used the WS 1020 and cut through the racks with surgical Percision. I also prepared yams, mixed onions and garlic and did some other meal prep with it. The knife cut and handles beautifully in hand. Edge stayed razor sharp through out meal prep. Well after a big meal and quite a few 12% stout ales, I retired to the living room and left my daughter to clean up the kitchen. She loaded my knife up into the dishwasher and the result was surprising. Now I know that carbon steel knives are dishwasher safe, so this was entirely self inflicted. The blade came out with bad rust spots and the edge of the the knife was dulled. Let this be a fair warning, don’t put your knives in the dishwasher...What do you guys suggest for getting out the rust spots? I might need to just send it back for a refurbish

To remove rust, I rub it with baking soda and a damp paper towel.

Some Flitz or other metal polish, maybe Mothers Milk, might do the trick. Hopefully, the water wasn’t hot enough to mess with the temper.

My condolences on how it happened, but now your knife's got "COVID Thanksgiving character"! It'll be a good story to use to teach your daughter about carbon steel knives! (If she cares)

Fine Steel wool and dish soap will take it right off. And there is no way in hell it got hot enough to mess with the temper. Don’t worry about that. :rolleyes:

Just knock the actual rust off and oil it up.
You’re probably right about the temp. I’m just used to commercial/industrial dishwashers. Those big ‘uns can get pretty hot. I’ve always hand washed at home. *sniffle*

All I heard was delicious smoked lambs, and Many fine Beers (I'm a Stout guy, too)…….
With Loved ones.
Sounded like you had the Best Thanksgiving get together so far, that I heard of. I'm jealous. :D

I use bar keepers friend too, it's awesome stuff for cleaning.

They make things called rust erasers...it's like a rubber/gum eraser with abrasive embedded in the matrix...work pretty well for me but I've never used it on widespread rust just pepper spotting and unwanted patina.

But as others have stated about various polishes and sandpapers, they're all basically abrasive and will scratch the satin finish to a certain degree based on the grit/finish level of your weapon of choice.

On the bright side, it's like getting a dent in a new car...now use the HECK outta your blade and beat her like a rented mule.

Back