WS 1020 not dishwasher or idiot safe

Scotch bright. We use it.to.polish stainless. Can weld pipe grind,sand and finish with Scotch bright. And you won't even know where it was welded.

Scotch bright. We use it.to.polish stainless. Can weld pipe grind,sand and finish with Scotch bright. And you won't even know where it was welded.

But it will scratch the hell out of whatever you use it on. The green ones do anyway. I’ve never used the blue for rust removal.

Fine steel wool works great and doesn’t scratch - just takes off rust and patina.

But it will scratch the hell out of whatever you use it on. The green ones do anyway. I’ve never used the blue for rust removal.

Fine steel wool works great and doesn’t scratch - just takes off rust and patina.
Because your not using the right grit. We polish stainless finish with as a final. You can leave a natural grain or make it smooth. I just did 100ft of stainless hand rail returns welded ,ground,and finished smooth. Do it for a living. Kinda like a professional so I know what I'm talking about. I would show pictures but usually the stainless jobs are usually in no camera zones...for me.

Yeahhhh, I don’t think that’s all that common. All I’ve ever seen is green and blue. I’ve used the green to refinish blades, but it definitely scratches in the direction you’re rubbing it. Never had any experience with the blue.

I stand by the steel wool. It’s cheap, readily available, doesn’t scratch, and it works.

Marroons pretty common up north here.. but as stated earlier. 0000 grit steel wool is way cheaper and works great also.

Ouch! Pics???

I agree with the steel wool recommendation. I have a ton of the maroon ScotchBrite, it is a pretty fine grit, but will definitely leave a scratch pattern.

I wanna say it's only the white scotch brite that won't scratch. As I remember it, it's 0000 with some kinda Talc as a polishing compound impregnated.

I tried, but it wouldn't photograph with my crappy phone camera. I already fixed the edge damage, mostly.

Glad you got it fixed up though. Cant wait for mine ..hope i havnt become too accustomed to the abuse the mega warden can take and do the same ..

I gotta give it credit, I did not love it gently.
I pounded that thing through a pretty good sized knot.
Don't do what I did and you should be fine.

I found some time and finally got it cleaned up today with a polishing wheel. I started with steel wool and knocked of the rust. Then I got the compound out and loaded up a wheel and worked it over a good 15mins. The steel still has pits all through out where the rust was. The wheel gave the blade a near mirror finish. it is shined up nicely. The edge still needs some reworking. I will get the Ken onion sharp marker out tomorrow. What angle do you guys think this edge is at? Here’s some pics of the before and after.

Attachments

• 52C5D259-6E13-4004-B440-7C033B6C08E6.jpeg
    52C5D259-6E13-4004-B440-7C033B6C08E6.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 66
  • FA670246-3CB2-49F8-A4B0-9DDC137350F7.jpeg
    FA670246-3CB2-49F8-A4B0-9DDC137350F7.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 9E1CA27B-2EC4-4132-95EF-8A01CBF5C500.jpeg
    9E1CA27B-2EC4-4132-95EF-8A01CBF5C500.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 44012F9D-BDFC-476C-B21B-A6C873318285.jpeg
    44012F9D-BDFC-476C-B21B-A6C873318285.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 66
I found some time and finally got it cleaned up today with a polishing wheel.

Nice - looks good - now give it back to your daughter with a steel mallet and some knotty firewood to split and let her finish it off. (Haha - jk - don’t let her touch it!!).

... I’d guess the edge on mine is about 25-30 degrees per side but I’ll eventually narrow it to just under 20 degrees per side as I sharpen - unless you actually plan to beat on your WS it should hold that angle just fine imo...

Man, I think I'm really glad I got the coated for my brother. I am very fearful of what it looks like under your handle. Nice job cleaning it up.

I'm tempted to say above 25 degrees per side. I took mine down to 20 dps. Tempted to go 17 dps. It doesn't take long to reprofile these as they are thin.

Toothpaste works well to polish out rust spots. Use the white stuff, not the gel. It's got a super fine grit in it and is essentially a minty buffing compound.

Back