• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

WSSI, thieves or just plain bad business

Palmetto1155

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Last July,(2018), I boxed up a variety of 1x1.5x5 blocks and shipped them to WSSI. I filled out the order as requested, etc with a note for them to give me a call to finalize payment once they knew the weight of the shipment back to me. 2 months went by and I didn't hear from them so I sent an email. Another month, sent another email, no response, so I called, got a message their voice mail was "full" (I bet with people bitching about loosing their products), Any way, every month since then I've tried making contact, either via phone or email, nothing, nada, zip zilch, you get the pic.....NO response from them at all since July 2018. In that box I had birds maple, koa, mango, walnut and as a trial, some Texas mesquite. An entire med USPS flat rate box packed as full as I could get it.............gone!!!
I know it was delivered because I got delivery confirmation.

Just saying guys and gals, don't trust them at all!!

Dang, I'm glad you said something. I had some burls I wanted to send them but I'm definitely not now.

Dang, I'm glad you said something. I had some burls I wanted to send them but I'm definitely not now.

Man, I hated to write this up, but it's gone on too long. I now consider all of my money obtaining the wood as well as cutting and sanding it to be stabilized , is gone. If I can keep one person from being ripped off, its worth the post. It's my understanding K & G does good stabilizing. I'm going to give them a try, as soon as I can restock the wood I lost.

Sorry to hear that, definitely sounds like you lost some good material. The material I have was collected myself but I still wouldn't want to lose it.

K & G is the best place to have wood stabilized. They do an excellent job and are easy to work with.

Hate to say this .... but WSSI sounded familiar. Sure enough, there was a thread about a problem with WSSI in 2017. Not identical to this situation, but serious enough of a problem to generate a GBU thread.

Hate to say this .... but WSSI sounded familiar. Sure enough, there was a thread about a problem with WSSI in 2017. Not identical to this situation, but serious enough of a problem to generate a GBU thread.

Unfortunately I found that thread AFTER I sent the wood in, wish I would have made a search on BF BEFORE I sent the package . Hopefully my experience will help keep someone else from getting hammered by them.

Interesting that in the other thread, which d.r.h. linked, this guy had been contacted and was going to come here to address it, but that's where the thread ends and he never did post. Wonder what that "other side of the story" was all about.

Im the guy that was ripped off from WSSI. I didn't want to post it but Mike made no attempt to fix the problem. I posted hoping that it wouldn't happen to anyone else. I'm sorry to hear about your wood and I hope your outcome turns out better than mine.
I was also checking this thread everyday after hearing Mike was going to come on and explain his side of the story. I'd love to hear what he tells the public.
I highly recommend not sending wood to WSSI for stabilizing they have a track record of peoples wood going missing.
Jim

I from about 2005-2014 I sent several batches to mike at WSSI and never had a problem...

I haven't talked with him since, so I cant help anyone. He must of fallen on bad times. He was always a straight forward and helpful family man in my dealings? I hope he gets things sorted out for the OP and Boat Builder.

I heard he did good work and their website is really straight forward. That, along with how straightforward everyone I’ve dealt with so far, is why I just boxed my wood and shipped it. Wish I wouldn’t have, I spent lots of money buying the wood. My orig post wasn’t an all inclusive as far as types. Falling on bad times doesn’t justify stealing, that’s what this is from my perspective. If he is doing this on a regular basis, even stealing partial shipments for processing, he needs jail time, not more victims.

Has anyone else been ripped off from WSSI? Its been a while since I've was ripped off from Mike but it still really burns. Just like the public to know that its risky sending product to WSSI.

Back