• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

WTB sheath for Swamprat Chopweiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the title says everyone, I am looking to buy a sheath made for my swamprat chopweiler. Let me know through pm's! Have a great day everyone!

WiskieT-over and out!

You looking for kydex or leather? We have quite a few makers here of both that might have that knife in hand. :)

I have one and its one of my favorite Rats. :D

Thats a good question really....I love this knife so much that I really want to have it last a long time and treat the blade well. I heard bad things about kydex scratching the blade and what not. I dont want scratches on it unless I put it there from chopping down a redwood!! (j/k) But in my mind kydex has some better carry options like putting a piggy back knife on there or using tek-locks with it. So I am kind of torn weather to go leather or kydex.

I would prefer kydex only if i knew it wouldnt scratch my blade all up.

Is your Chopweiler a coated version or the bead blasted variant?

On a coated blade the kydex will rub on the coating a little, unless its relying on handle retention only (Okuden is well known for making outstanding sheaths that use this method.)

On a bead blasted blade it seems anything rubbing on it will make marks, the fine surface texture shows it very easily. I've found on my bead blasted blades that a good rub down with Flitz makes them a bit less resistant to the marking, I guess it takes down some of that texture without making it look different.

If you going to use this knife then I'd say not to worry about marking. When your using it you will make lots of them on your own.

When in search for a kydex maker ask a few questions about method of retention and how close the sheath fits to the knife blade, and if you dont need to send yours in make sure he has a similarly outfitted knife, ie bead blasted or coated.

Buy Brown, Okuden, Mashed Cat Outfitters, etc might even have your knife in stock. There is a sheath maker thread on the Busse sub forum that has a great list of makers and what they have on hand for fitting. I'll see if I can find it and send you link or do a search for sheath makers.

Thanks for all of your help leatherman!!! My knife is the coated one, so it shouldnt be that big of a deal. And yes I will be using it to do some serious camp chores. And yes your right I shouldnt worry about it making marks if its a user, but it still gets me knowing that somethhing other than me is putting marks on it Lol.

I am not trying to go to elaborate on getting a sheath made, but I just want something that works simply well.

Like I said before leatherman thank you so much for your help. I hope to repay the favor one day.

I just wanted to say thank everyone for looking. I found someone to make the sheath and will post it on the forums onces I get it in my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back