XHP Recon 1

Why do you assemble them in Taiwan? Would not it be cheaper to assemble them in the USA, rather than shipping them?

I would figure that there will be plain edge versions in all blade styles & DLC made available for 2015.

It wouldn't make any sense for them not to, at this point.

I would figure that there will be plain edge versions in all blade styles & DLC made available for 2015.

It wouldn't make any sense for them not to, at this point.

Thank you for the quick response. I am a Cold Steel guy from way back and sort of fell out of love with them when the 2nd gen Recons moved to Taiwan. I still have NIB backup Gen 1 Recons from Japan sitting in my safe, should I ever need a replacement.

Yes, please make plain edge version of all blade shapes. And also PLEASE lose the DLC coating. XHP is rust-resistant enough that it doesn't need to be hidden under any coating. Put a nice stonewash on there and call it a day.

Yes, please make plain edge version of all blade shapes. And also PLEASE lose the DLC coating. XHP is rust-resistant enough that it doesn't need to be hidden under any coating. Put a nice stonewash on there and call it a day.

I like this thinking!

When they come out with a Lawman in spear point in the XHP I will buy one.

I'd buy a non-serrated XHP Voyager/Recon/Talwar/AK/American Lawman/Tuff Lite any time! Please Cold Steel make this happen, those knives will sell to infinity. Don't get me wrong, your folding knives are so top notch, but with XHP they would be pure insanity ;)

I want one of these in plain edge, it would be an ultimate everyday knife. I'm just not a combo edge fan.

Cold Steel has discontinued some of the part-serrated Recon 1s and all of the serrated Hold Outs too recently.

Last edited:
I'd buy a non-serrated XHP Voyager/Recon/Talwar/AK/American Lawman/Tuff Lite any time! Please Cold Steel make this happen, those knives will sell to infinity. Don't get me wrong, your folding knives are so top notch, but with XHP they would be pure insanity ;)

Amen. As far as strength & steel, these would seriously rival stalwarts like the Hinderer XM-18's and Striders, at a fraction of the price.

A Tuff Lite, maybe with a drop point, in XHP would also be a sick utility blade. No small knife compares in ergos to the Tuffs.

Cold Steel has discontinued some of the part-serrated Recon 1s and all of the Hold Outs too recently.

I had to rush out and buy the Hold Out 1 and 2 in serrated just because of that.

I don't care about the Recons though. Combo edge isn't my thing. Either full plain edge in a utility blade or full serrations in a defensive blade is the way I think.

I might still get both models of the Hold Out 3.

Back