XM-18 pivot screw tool question

I just placed an order for one and I don't even own an XM. I plan on attending the Plaza show in October so hopefully I get lucky in the lottery.

Mitch, good luck at the plaza show! I'll send some positive vibes from the far east(just please send me back some SD weather this summer)

I was going to wait to get a ti tool, but my recent 3.5's are a bit fidgity compared to the 3inchers, so it seems i may be placing an order for a stainless tool soon :p

김원진;12186028 said:
Mitch, good luck at the plaza show! I'll send some positive vibes from the far east(just please send me back some SD weather this summer)

I was going to wait to get a ti tool, but my recent 3.5's are a bit fidgity compared to the 3inchers, so it seems i may be placing an order for a stainless tool soon :p

Thanks for the good vibes! I'll see what I can do about the weather...right now its 87 degrees and we expect the low to get to 61 tonight. Life is cruel here in San Diego ;). If you ever make it down to my neck of the woods again I'd be happy to let you borrow my tool...it's basically going to collect dust until I can get my hands on an XM lol.

BTW: THis is what happened to my Finger (very painful) because I didn't wait until I got Home to get - The "Right Tool". Just Happy it was my Finger and not a Long nasty gouge down my Ti Scale.

WRONG Tools and the Outcome:

The CORRECT Tool doesn't Slip:

Get and Use the Correct Tool.

Last edited:
Before i got the tool i just used to flathead screwdrivers and the crk allen wrench. It was messy, i clamped the knife between my legs while lossening the pivit screw. Frankly, you're better of buying the tool. I put it on my keys so i can adjust the pivot at all times

Before i got the tool i just used to flathead screwdrivers and the crk allen wrench. It was messy, i clamped the knife between my legs while lossening the pivit screw. Frankly, you're better of buying the tool. I put it on my keys so i can adjust the pivot at all times

Well, "Clamped between my legs" I'd hate to think what pic I would have been posting after the flat blade slip....
I'll stick with the Armorers Tool, Thanks.

saving his money...Have had my XM for about a month now and love it! Now I see what all the fuss is about. My brother has a couple of these knives (a production and a custom he picked up at the show in Phoenix) and he turned me on to them. I must have looked at every photo on the photo blog before ordering mine from Rob. At some point I would love to buy the armorer's tool but in the meantime the spanner bit worked fine for me.

Last edited:
Ahhh, the voice of experience.

I hate to burst your bubble but you don't have to have 500 posts on blade forum to know how to turn a screw. I'm sure the man knows that the hinderer tool works well. He was asking for alternatives. Not everyone has or wants to spend $75 on a tool which easily substituted.

I hate to burst your bubble but you don't have to have 500 posts on blade forum to know how to turn a screw. I'm sure the man knows that the hinderer tool works well. He was asking for alternatives. Not everyone has or wants to spend $75 on a tool which easily substituted.

You are "New" to this Forum and can show some respect. Your First Post could have been fine with a statement like
"The #12 spanner fits fine and does the trick" and left it there. Yet you chose to come into the RHK Forum and express what I would call a "Rude" comment about pricing. Sorry if Good Manners are lost on some these days but, it was inappropriate.
Now, I suggest leaving it at that.

This forum is respect first, all else second. This weekend of all weekends to stray so far from the family-friendly vibe is not advised and is offensive.

Please edit your earlier comment to remove profanity.

No one appreciates your vulgarity and rudeness, totally uncalled for and swearing at a moderator! You are taking the shorcut to getting banned.

i really need an armorers tool and they're all gone from the hinderer site, wish i could just buy everything from one vendor and save on shipping :drunk: anyone want to trade one for some kimchi :p OP get the proper hinderer tool and save yourself any possible future headache :thumbup:

Mitch you really should have made it to coronado then you could have played with mine. p.s. i really hate you selfishly enjoying that SD weather (currently sweaty fighting off mosquitos with deet)

Thanks for the good vibes! I'll see what I can do about the weather...right now its 87 degrees and we expect the low to get to 61 tonight. Life is cruel here in San Diego ;). If you ever make it down to my neck of the woods again I'd be happy to let you borrow my tool...it's basically going to collect dust until I can get my hands on an XM lol.

김원진;12233390 said:
i really need an armorers tool and they're all gone from the hinderer site, wish i could just buy everything from one vendor and save on shipping :drunk: anyone want to trade one for some kimchi :p OP get the proper hinderer tool and save yourself any possible future headache :thumbup:

Mitch you really should have made it to coronado then you could have played with mine. p.s. i really hate you selfishly enjoying that SD weather (currently sweaty fighting off mosquitos with deet)

Yeah, I wish I could have made it out there. Look on the bright side...at least you have an excuse to make it back down to San Diego! Seriously though, let me know when you do. Would love to meet up and talk shop.

김원진;12233390 said:

How I miss Real Kimchi, Have not had that since my First Sergeants Wifes used to make it for me (in a jar).
Thank you for rekindling that memory.

Back