YCS Sheath Design thread

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ok, let's hear your best ideas for a custom YCS sheath.

The end result of this thread will be a good design that will allow any regular Joe with limited tools/experience construct a new sheath for a YCS (or similar....could adapt it).

That's really the only criteria - has to be simple and straightforward.

I'd like too see it have either a slide on sheath for the two kardas towards the bottom if it would fit, or sewn on sheaths for them on the main sheath or scabbard if possible.

A simple over the shoulder rig that would simply suspend the YCS at hip level. I'd like to make just such a rig using only Elk or Deer and primitive tools (maybe do a bit of beadwork as well...can you see the blade markings replicated in beads?).

Well, I'm still a big fan of molding PVC pipe and then sheathing it in leather or nylon (painting also works).

Thick leather. Belt loop going no higher than the diamond pattern. Place on the front for the smaller Karda, kind of like you did for Danny's tracker sheath.
Secured in the sheath like the Cold Steel sheath.

For me my objective would be to make it possible to carry it and maybd 1 karda with the least weight possible since the knife itself weighs so much.

Personally, I would love to see a tutorial or how to on an all leather quick draw sheath. I feel this design would best suit the YCS, in that it would keep the sheath leaner than most other designs that accecpt the broad tip. No frog, only a well thought out and placed belt loop that positions the khuk high on the hip. A separate holder for the three tools would be perfect also. I think this is the time I need to break into making my own sheaths. Help would be great! :cool:

edited becaus I can not spell :footinmou

Thanks Nasty, but I got the idea from Terry Sisco's work. When he makes a quick draw rig, he usually makes a nice holder for the carry of the accessory blades/tools. I like his idea for the YCS since the YCS tools are so large and useful all by themselves. They are worthy of carry by themselves. :D

My favorite Sisco rig I've seen so far was the one Yvsa had made. I saved the pics of that and every so often take a look at it. A first class setup.

For carry out in the field with a big knife like a khukuri (even my 15" Ang Khola is still a big knife), especially when you are carrying other gear, I like the strength, comfort, and flexibility of a nylon frog vs a leather one.

Here's a few pics of the frog on my Ang Khola. IMHO, it's a lot more versitile than a leather one with an old fashioned leather belt loop. If you lack a military belt clip, a nylon belt loop that can open up and quick release or quick attach with a 2" fastex buckle would work great too, and such a belt loop would also be easy to quickly attach to the hipbelt of a backpack or other gear like military webbing. In some ways, a nylon belt loop with a fastex buckle might actually work better than a military clip.

pic1.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic16.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic2.jpg

mrostov said:
My favorite Sisco rig I've seen so far was the one Yvsa had made. I saved the pics of that and every so often take a look at it. A first class setup.
If you haven't seen the pix I think you can find them here.;)

How about a hikot style scabbard? They look really neat, and should be fairly easy to put together too..

I don't own an YCS, but need a new scabbard for another khuk.. what do you think? is it a crazy/not practical suggestion or is there any potential?

/karl

You know...a reflex of the esophagus. One guy had the hikots for 17 years straight. Usually a good scare or swallowing a spoon of dry sugar will take care of them.

hikot - like the bolo posted the other day. One-sided wood sheath.

Nasty - you get funny-man points. But you're still an order of magnitude behind Bruise.

I vote for quick-draw style out of heavy leather, with a "traditional" (American style) sewn belt-loop and snap at the top. But the tools are a problem. As good as Terry's separate scabbard solution was, I'd rather have everything in one package.

must have misses the bolo you're speaking of, although I "stalk" this forum a lot but never post..

I got the idea from Tai Goo's bush-series: http://www.taigoo.com/gallery/bush/

to customize it for khukri-carry you could even fit it with a leather frog! Doesn't seem to be all to popular idea.. well, well ...

kalleS said:
to customize it for khukri-carry you could even fit it with a leather frog! Doesn't seem to be all to popular idea.. well, well ...
There would be benefits to using this style scabbard but is probably beyond the means/skill of many here to make.:(
I love Tai Goo's work!!!! Thanks for the link!:D :cool: :D

probably beyond the means/skill of many here to make

compared to other sheaths that require working with wood I think this would be the easiest, for example fitting it, and making it to exact measures is not as cruical as with the standard ones.

well, if I give it a try, I'll let you know..

kalleS said:
well, if I give it a try, I'll let you know..
I would love to see one done for a khukuri!!!! Please do let us know and post pics too!!!!:D :cool: :D

Back