YCS

:
And a Ryobi tool similar too the Dremel beats the Dremel hands down IMO.
smile.gif

I have both an I find the Ryobi much more flexible in its uses than my Dremel.
And the switch for the speed control is a rotary type that your hand doesn't interfere with, and the on/off switch is also located in a better place close to the speed conntrol.
And I don't recall for sure, but I think it may be a tad faster (rpm) as well.
I use the Ryobi for fine detail carving on the fancy Flutes I sometimes make.

I am with Cougar and believe a drill motor would work better if you don't have a buffer. And one of the smaller 1/4" high speed drill motors would be best of all.

BUT YOU STILL WANNA BE CAREFUL!!!!!
The small rotary tools like the Dremel can grab the work stock and pull your hand into the work and if it's the edge of the khukuri, You are Cut!!!
There is no time to holler "DON'T" or "DOH."
smile.gif

------------------

>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

Yvsa,

I agree that the super shiny finish is nice since you can usually just wipe it off. I've got some Flitz which gets out most of the big problems. But there is something psychological about the finish being "so pretty." I've been thinking about the YCS with the same basic "look" as the unfinished blade you did. Hammer dingy finish as you call it and then a dark gun blue. That would look like a tool rather than something to hang on the wall. That goes with the steel mountings. They should be blued as well. I've seen and held your project knife. You have to think that idea applied to a YCS would be a real working tool.

Speaking of Villagers and their finish.... I took two knives out into the yard today (before the rain). One was the Ganga Ram I bought from Terry. I had some good sized trees growing through and in the fence on one side of the yard. Most cutting was on about 4" pieces but some were as big as 6". It went through it all with little effort. Size and weight on that knife make it just right for such big jobs. But when I got down to where pieces were close to the fence, I quit. Then the $49 Villager comes out. I've hit fences, cement blocks, and many rocks with it. We had to dig up some big vines that have huge roots under the ground. We would dig and then chop with the Villager. Most of the time, each chop sent dirt flying. It whipped right through it all and I didn't care about the finish on the knife. Actually I didn't even do anything when I was done except jab it in the sheath. The Gange Ram was carefully wiped down and oiled. I'm not really looking for YCS that I use just like that Villager but I would like something I don't baby.

Gregg

PS - If you don't have a 15" wood handled Villager, you should get one. Or two.

Thanks for good input.

Seems like I've been lugging around a bench grinder most of my life to do various jobs and never owned a Dremel. Too small to do most of the work I need to do.

I'm with Gregg. There are just things you beat the hell out of and don't care a lot and other things you have a hard time bringing yourself to use.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (33,000 + posts)

:
Yeah I agree it's hard to put the really shiny blades to work but since most or all of them except the villagers are coming that way these days, what's a feller to
do?
smile.gif

Uncle Bill mentioned quite a while back that some people were asking for more villagers because the finish on the regular H.I.line is/was getting to pretty to
use.
And also some people were saying the highly finished ones didnt really portray the true khukuri of
Nepal.
smile.gif

I am sure the kamis have already decided that all Americans or at least the H.I.customers are crazy because we can't make up our minds about what we want.
smile.gif

I have the 1st YCS that Gregg saw and it is perfect in every way!!
I had decided to go ahead and use it, but then I got one of those less than perfect and I'm using it instead. I think perhaps the very 1st one should remain as perfect as it was the day I got it.
smile.gif

Some one mentioned using TSP and a steel wool pad or Scotch-Brite on a blade here a while back when we were talking about pretty much the same thing, putting a patina on a
blade?
When I get the YCS-2 and it's like we want them I will search out that thread and fix it up like that and then perhaps blue it as well.

And I agree most heartedly about the villagers with the rougher wood handles. My 17" Steel Mounted Villager I'm so fond of is made that way. It's a Great Knife!!!
I carried it the other day on a walk and to also check it for rust since it had been in the truck for a long while and it was fine on the blade.
The butt cap had a bit of rust, but it came that way and I cleaned it off.
I hadn't thought about blueing it for some reason, but I believe I will do that now.
The blueing would sure help keep it from corroding setting in the very hot and very cold conditions that the truck experiences along with the condensation present as well.
I sanded the handle a bit as it was very rough and there's a beautiful grain under the rough finish, but I didn't completely smooth it up.
I like the adhesive grip it has the way it is and it will smooth up with use anyway.

------------------

Bro, I have seen some old khukuris in Nepal that had to be made by village kamis and the finish was as good as ours. But getting that finish in a village shop takes longer than making the knife but it could be done and can be today if the kami wants to go to the time and trouble. We have the use of several bench grinders at BirGorkha so don't have to spend days to get that mirror finish and we also have the magic stone which seens to be working fine.

------------------

Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

:
Bro I guess I knew that, but didn't think about it.
And it's kinda funny that so many khukuris in the museums in Nepal and England have the high finish or perhaps, had the high finish would be a better way of saying it now,(I imagine they have a patina by now.) were those that made it to the museums.
And I assume that several or perhaps all of those older ones had been used at one time in the far
past.
I guess I shoudn't be amazed at the capabilities of people with patience
and primitive tools to do such beautiful work as our people done the same things with stone but I still am.
And I was all set to use the 1st YCS anyway, but since it was the 1st I think now that it should be kept as pristine as possible,after all only the 1st can be the 1st.
smile.gif

I guess my bottom line is that the khukuris are made to be used and used they should be no matter the finish if that's what they are bought for. But I also know how hard it is sometimes to scar that finish up the 1st and sometimes even the 2nd or 3rd time.
smile.gif

I don't know what the finish will be on a Pronghorn made by Ed Fowler but I have been lusting for one of those for a long time now. Ed does things with 52100 that are amazing and he tests his knive's in the field personally when he changes any of his process to ensure that the knives are what he expects them to be.
But if and when I am able to get a Pronghorn I am sure gonna use it and 52100 stains like crazy.
It is instant patina with that steel.
Another brother brought some turkey wings over one day that were starting to get just a tad ripe and I loaned Charlie my Marble's Woodcraft (52100 steel) to trim the fat off of them prior to drying them in the salts. Charlie no sooner cut into the wing and the blade turned dark grey immediately in the place that was used!!!
I did polish the stain off with Flitz that time, but since then I have let the patina go as it wants to.
smile.gif

I say use the khukuris or other knives unless you buy them to look at.
I wouldn't use a Kothimoda, but I would test it first, but that's only because I have a buffer and can bring it back to as good as it was.
smile.gif

------------------

Bro, it's just like every new car I ever bought. It was new until I used it and then it was downhill all the way. Thing that bothered me the most was the parking lot dings they all took due to careless and uncaring people.

Khukuris are made to be used unless you are looking at some antique or absolutely flawless beauty that you want to keep in the best condition you can. I don't use the logo khukuri anymore because of sentimental value and Ray won't use the Kancha Kami made Sherpa style because of the same reason. But both knives have been used heavily and are definitely users.

I guess we are add a little different in that aspect as we are in other ways, too. Makes the world go round.

------------------

Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

:
Bro I think we're closer to believeing the same thing as I agree with you and Ray both about certain knives not being used because they are pristine or have a sentimenal value.
Those khukuris cannot be replaced.

My only thought is that most all of the khukuris coming from BirGhorka these days are actually too pretty to be used as I think most of them are museum quality.
And that's what I was trying to convey above.

I won't use my old WW II khukuri since I am satisfied it will do the job it was designed to do. I didn't hurt it any in testing it and I think it has earned its rest.

------------------

Back