year marks- good thing or not?

well ... i some times sit and think .. most times i gets in trouble fer that
but reading a thread i got to thinking on year marks and
in short
i hate them ....well maybe dont hate'em but dont like em very much
buck 110's due to tight quality controls all look alike for many years now
i mean .. is there any way to tell a 86 from a 2006 with out a year mark?
if i took a pot full of 110s and mixed de darn parts could any one tell other then
darn year marks what part was made when ?
the marks used to mean some kind of change.. steel design ect
now they mean nothing ...
lota newbies seem to have year marks on the mind
seems a year mark if used at all might be only used when some thing new happens
so as to mark the first year of it and any there after no year marks at all
as it wont mater then...

so i was a wandering
if any of you'al out there think like me that we could do wityh out year marks?
or if some of ya are really stuck on haveing year marks!!
tho i dont understand why .. so you might explain your answer if you got time

I sort-of agree... when the stamps changed to indicate a design alteration, or a change in the build, they were more relevant. Otherwise, it's only useful for "Oh hey, this one is stamped 1988, which is cool because that's when I got my first car" or something.

I was thinking........

They should add month, day, hour and minute marks.

That way we could tell if they really switch year marks at 0001 hours on 1 January each year.

Somebody could start collecting New Year's Baby Bucks.

To help me convince the stupid seller his "left arrow" 110 isn't an antique?

Seriously, as a collector I love year marks.... I like to think in terms of sets and year sets are a natural.

I don't understand why they bother you, can't see as they do any harm. I think I read somewhere that Buck had reaped an unexpected boon with collector sales when they started year marks.

Count me in as in favor of the year marks. I like being able to pick up, say a 1998 Buck of somekind, and gift it to a certain little lady collector (also born in 1998) I know. I also love the Idaho stamp in particular.

I don't see any downside to marking them with their "birth year".

I also like the year marks! It helps me to find them on the LE list faster;)
jb4570

Yes to the year marks. It's nice to be able to look at a photo (ex. SPS, or the bay) and immediately have an age indicator.

Yep, I like them too. I like to know when my knives were made, instead of wondering, or having to post questions on forums asking for that information.

Some of the marks get complicated by dots and......we can't even find out what they mean.

:eek::eek::eek:

016.jpg

I like taking parts from one year and putting them in knives of a different year! The knives don't seem to mind too much :D

I like year marks... It's like collecting coins... If they didn't have a new year mark every year, why collect them... ITE

What's strange is that Joe Houser can't even say with any certainty what the dots denote when present with a date stamp, except that they are rare.

It's extra strange when you consider that people put the dots there for a reason--to denote some design change or special feature of the blade.

Huh? You slap a unique symbol on something to remind you of something important about something and then forget to record what that symbol meant?

That's Buck Inc. Flying by the seat of their pants and not taking notes.

:D

Didn't Joe say in a post back aways something about data that was lost with a computer change?

I don't recall seeing that, but it's likely that it could account for some of the confusion.

Not all, though......not by a long shot.

:)

Back