Yeller Tomcat Forge Tour

I never heard of it I don't think but I looked it up. I'll have to get me a bottle of it and see if it's good as Busch Lite or MGD.

I gotta try that Dos Equix stuff too, the dude what advertises it seems to do well with the chicks and does all sorts of cool stuff, maybe it's the Dos Equix. Can't hurt to try ya know?

I don't think I even want to know what tatties and neeps is or haggis for that matter. I gotta sensitive digestive tract and all.

Tatties: A type of mashed potatoes.
Neeps: Mashed parsnips. Much like mashed potatoes.
Haggis" The national dish of Scotland. Oatmeal, barley, finely chopped up innards of a sheep-sometimes cow. Cooked in a sheep's stomach.

Speaks for itself!
13c6d471cd7be3adf7327e721fe2d6e5

Guinness is basically a beer that drinks like a meal. It is a dark heavy beer that I like OK when eating but I don't think I care for it as a good happy hour type beer.
Taters & Neeps, Bangers and Mash and bubble & squeek All go good with the local's version of brew

Ndog, you need some Guinness poker chips? Guinness is my fav beer over all.

Ndog, you need some Guinness poker chips? Guinness is my fav beer over all.
Mine too! Well I know what to bring next time im up to the corn patch! Poker chips would really be cool! That sign I got while living in the British Virgin Islands. They were not legal for distribution in the US because they "implied" drinking beer is "good for you". Well it was good for me and still is:D
Nothing like Guinness Xtra stout or Guinness on tap. I could watch the bubbles rise in concerted formation for hours...well till the bottom of the glass appears anyway. There used to be a place in Austin TX here called the Medieval Inn where beautiful wenches would bring you Guinness in those tall yard glasses that resemble a long funnel with the bulb bottom. I tell ya it dont get any better than playing darts being served yards of Guinness by beautiful wenches:p:eek::p

Hey btw since im in your forge thread. Im looking for some basic set of blacksmith tongs. If figuring three to five to get started. Tell me if my thinking is on track. Im figuring something to handle flat bar stock (a few sizes), maybe round. and, square stock. Ive seen on auction sites where some smiths make sets of them and spring temper them for very reasonable price. Then there are old antique ones being sold for about the same price as well. They seem to be 10-15 each range. Is there something specifically I should look for in a set? Thanks brother! I figure you could point me in the right direction:thumbup:

Last edited:
Ndog, Not all tongs are created equal. Many have been abused and need TLC. Some that have been repaired and look crappy are just as good as new and on occasion, better than new. Tongs need fitted to the materials that you are going to use and there is more than just one kind of tong for flat stock, round stock, bar stock, half round, and etc. It would probably be best if you sent me an email or message, or give me a call because I can talk all day about them and could recommend many. Had a friend that "invented" a special design of common tongs and I really wish I'd get off my butt and buy several. I need to know if you want new, used, inexpensive, mid-range, or top of the line. After studying sword building in Denmark, I find that there are European/Scandinavian tongs different than what I am familiar with, but have a definite place for some jobs. Large tongs can be made smaller. You can forge your own tongs and repair tongs to make them work for what you need. Get you a set of small duck bills, a single pick up tong (you won't need a set of double pick ups if you're just starting out), a couple of round stock tongs in a couple of sizes, and some larger ones for flat stock over 1/4 inch. Couple of vise grips will work wonders for you, too. I took a pair that had a jaw broken off and made a pair of small box tongs out of them and I simply love them. Box tongs are for flat stock, too. I have some tongs that can be altered, ditto for some crucible tongs, and etc. I bought 92 pair of original 1800s tongs from Maytag before they were bought out by Whirlpool for $25. All made by a German smith they imported to run the shop. Several tongs are 4 foot long or better! Got the 268 pound anvil, it's wooden mounting block and the steel block holder for $15. Blah, blah, blah.......

Great! I knew you would be the man! ill resume offline! Thanks brother! Ive always used vise grips and channel locks for making miscellaneous tools but never really forged a knife of any appreciable size. I have a big pile of charcoal saved up, an anvil, a few hammers I hope will work, and some other misc. stuff. The Temp is finally creeping below 100º so its almost time. It will be primitive forgings for now but will be fun to try. Ill get with ya shortly.

Must really be something to pound on some red hot steel and turn it into something cool.

I'd worry about a piece of red hot steel ending up in my lap though.

Had a cigarette hot box fall off and landed on top of my shoe when I first became a derelict. Didn't notice anything until a slight warm and then very hot sensation and smoke coming out of my foot. Fortunately I was on the front porch and my mom was standing next to me drinking a pepsi. I grabbed the pepsi and poured it on my foot and all was well. Still have them shoes too. Shoes last a very long time for me.

Ndog you should hitch up the wagon and visit Corn Patch, I bet you could learn some stuff you couldn't learn no place else.

Dont think i havent thought about it! Im dang ready for a real vacation! Havent had one since before my house burned. All my vacation time for the last three years was taken to build my house! You know id have to stop by WA and Reno as well. My wife dont like the cold so it would have to be during warmer times.

It's been pretty warm of late here but there is a chill in the morning air, noticed it especially this morning. And my hands just kill me. I'm starting to suffer some old people maladies which don't make sense being just a kid and so gosh durn good looking and all. WA would be a fur piece out of your way on the road to Corn Patch but would be cool.
My wife still thinks we need to stage a big get together someplace in Reno so it would be convenient for Auntie.
I'd like to pull that off sometime, that would be fun. The best part of Reno is Auntie, didn't care much for the rest, the place we stayed was super nice and the care museum was cool, the rodeo was good too, I guess there are a few nice things in Reno.

Im always game for a good car museum! Its supposed to get down to 80º tomorrow....Brrrrrrrr:eek: We used to do the rodeo in Huntsville TX, It was a prison rodeo. You talk about a hoot! Them prisoners are in there for life and such and they did not care if they got gored in the yang or anything else. They had some balls! Kinda like watching a demolition derby but better. You knew there was going to be some fighting and bloodshed. Probably human rights stopped that nowadays even tho it was all volunteers. Dont know if they still do it? I remember they tied a hundred dollar bill on the tip of this bulls horn and about thirty prisoners scrambled to get it! Never was a good outcome but sure was entertaining to see justice served.

Bookie, If someone wanted to get a very small minimalistic forge going. Something that is focused on small knife blades and with the bare minimum equipment can you recommend the basics and some good makers? I am considering making a gas forge something small and easy for me to move as I don't really have a workshop that I can do this in and it would need to be portable. I have found a number of plans on the internet but the one I am considering uses a 5 gallon metal paint bucket lined with 8# density 2300°F Durablanket and fire bricks. That cuts the internal forge dimensions down a bit but still seems to leave enough room for the size I think I need for the types of knives I am interested in starting with. Besides the Forge and an Anvil what other things are the absolute must haves?

Shav, you can make a forge out of something as simple as an empty paint can and a propane torch, no problem!

I made my own refractory cement once using kitty litter, plaster of paris, sand, crushed charcoal in some sort of ratio. Maybe some other stuff. I tested it by making little pies and cooking them in the woodstove. They would get light orange-yellow hot and still hold together. They survived several cycles once I got the mix ratios right. It probably would not be very durable but definitely would have worked for a few knives. I thought of using chicken wire or mesh on the inside of a propane bottle or water heater tank and plastering the inside of it up with my mix. Might work might not? What the hey its cheap! Ive since decided to go more primitive with a pile of rocks and charcoal.

Yep Philllll, that is basically what I am going for, well maybe just a bit upgraded from that, but not a lot. I like the 5gallon metal paint bucket because it allows a little more depth once you fit it with the fireproofing. Then planning on using stacked firebrick to create the front and lining the bottom. I am also planning on the idea of vice grips and a decent hammer. I also have a very large vise that the top of is perfect for a small anvil. I think that appears to be almost all I need for VERY simple (and pretty primative) blades. But just curious if there is anything I am missing that some of you more experienced metal pounders can tell me that might make things a little easier on a noob :D

Semi truck brake drums make good forges and a hair dryer can be used for a blower....

Oh, I saw one like that Bookie, They used some pipes below it made it look like a sink, With the hairdryer off on a sideways T pipe and a trapdoor on the bottom of the T to allow you to clean out the ashes. then a brake drum as the top and they used an upside down lawnmower deck to form an area around the drum to give a little more room around the actual forge area. Looked really nice for a coal type forge. A bit big for what I was thinking of and not quite as portable but nice looking and seemed very effecient.

Back