1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Yes, another EDC knife question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FunctionMode, Aug 23, 2010.

1. FunctionMode

FunctionMode

Jul 25, 2010
    Hey all, I've been lurking for a while and finally joined a few weeks ago. This is my first post and I hate to be THAT guy, but I need some help on choosing an EDC knife.

Right now I carry a Leatherman Juice CS4 which I really like, although if I were to buy another multitool it'd be something a little smaller. The one thing I don't like is the small knife; it works for quick, simple cutting, but that's about it.

What I want is a more dedicated knife with a solid lock so I can cut without needing to worry about the knife folding on me. A must for me is a good pocket clip that allows for the knife to sit deeply in my pocket.

Naturally, I have gravitated towards SOG's knives because of their pocket clip design. In fact, until a few days ago I was dead-set on getting a Flash 1, but then I started looking into other knives in the same category and basically ended up not knowing what I want.

In essence, what I'm looking for is a light (2oz or so), sub-$50 knife with a blade length around 3", and a deep-sitting pocket clip. I'd prefer assisted open, but that isn't even close to a must have feature. The only reason I am unsure about the Flash 1 is because of the smallish 2.5" blade. Am I wrong in assuming a 3" blade will give me any significant increase in utility over a 2.5"?

Thanks in advance and feel free to throw in any suggestions or advice you may have.

2. BrewCity59

BrewCity59

May 2, 2010
    You might want to take a look at the Spyderco Delica 4 FFG.(2.875" blade and 2.3 oz). There are also a number of Kershaw designs (both AO and non) that would fit your requirements.

3. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    you beat me to it brewcity,

delica sounds perfect, and for your utility tasks, get the FFG version

4. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    ditto to the delica ffg.
    dennis

5. Ronindan

Ronindan

Apr 30, 2010
    Delica FFG or saber grind

6. savagelh

savagelh

Feb 18, 2010
    buck vantage pro should meet your needs nicely

7. xtremepado

xtremepado

Jul 27, 2010
    I have a Delica 4 FFG, a Kershaw Leek, a Buck Vantage Avid, and a Cold Steel Voyager medium and I highly recommend each of them.

8. FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Oct 20, 2004
    This. Sounds like it meets your needs exactly.

9. defuse kit

defuse kit

May 26, 2010
    He asks three times for a knife with a low-riding clip. The only recommendation that fits so far is the Buck Vantage series and the Sogs. The others (Delica, Leek, and Voyager) have normal pocket clips.

If you want, you could also buy a low-riding clip for whatever knife you pick, but that'd probably push you over your $50 limit.

As far as a significant increase in utility between 2.5 and 3, no, there's not really a big difference in utility, but the handle might feel better. Try out and handle different knives before you buy, if you can.

10. Frostyfingers

Frostyfingers

Aug 27, 2008
    +1 for the Buck Vantage series.

11. FunctionMode

FunctionMode

Jul 25, 2010
    After some research I've narrowed it down to the Buck Vantage, the Kershaw Leek, and the Spyderco Delica 4 with the Buck being the favorite thus far. I also haven't ruled out the Flash 1, but unless I can get one in my hands to play with it's the underdog of the group. Maybe I should just buy them all ;)

Ultimately I'm going to have to make it down to a knife dealer and check out these knives in person. Thanks for the suggestions and a bit of direction.

12. jake5775

jake5775

Aug 14, 2010
    delica is normally over 50 bucks. mine i got came out to $54 with tax.

13. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    Another vote for the Spyderco Delica.

14. eccvets

eccvets Banned BANNED

Sep 8, 2008
    the kershaw skyline is super light weight and falls in to your range. make sure to get teh g10 handle version though

15. gundude73

gundude73

Oct 6, 2009
    buck vantage pro, spyderco delica FFG, spyderco persistence would all be good.

16. JGON

JGON

Mar 12, 2010
    Welcome to Bladeforums, the gateway drug to full blown knife collecting addiction!

The suggestions above are spot on, and for what you describe, I think they will work well. If you ever want to try a different route, I EDC a fixed blade every day. There are a ton of options, it's a very simple way to carry a knife, and they won't fail you.

Just a thought!

17. wongKI

wongKI

Jul 9, 2009
    I think I agree with the above, with top spot going to the Buck.

One thing to note is the different steels used.

IIRC SOGs use AUS 8, while Spyderco uses VG10 and Buck Vantage Pro, S30V. All are good steels with slightly different attributes.

The AUS 8 will polish up easily and hold an excellent edge for a goodly amount of time. VG10 is similar, but with better edge holding and can go a little thinner.

S30V is great if you want your knife to work hard, but not so great for light duty as it loses a razor edge a little quicker than VG10. However, for prolonged use there is little better ("Little" meaning "S90V")

18. salmanalk

salmanalk

Aug 28, 2010
    Spyderco....either a delica or a persistance

19. FunctionMode

FunctionMode

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks again everybody, I'm still on my search and have had a hell of time finding anything at the stores around here. There are two knife specialty stores in my area, one about 10 miles away and the other about 20 miles away and I'm probably going to have to visit each of them in my search for these knives.

I did manage to find a Kershaw Leek at the local REI and while comfortable and solid feeling, I am not a fan of the blade shape.

20. TKAZ

TKAZ

Feb 1, 2010
    Yep, I carried the Delica for some time as my EDC and loved every bit of it. Never let me down.