1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Yes, another EDC knife question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FunctionMode, Aug 23, 2010.

1. rainermh12

rainermh12

Jun 20, 2010
    delica 4 FFG or saber grind
    saber grind is a bit stronger due to the slightly thicker spine
    FFG is a more heavy-dutyish slicer

honestly you cant go wrong with both.

2. Blades

Blades

Oct 5, 1998
    Nice low profile clip.

3. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    One factor that we haven't discussed is the reliability and general quality of the knife. SOGs have a so-so reputation here. In terms of personal experience, I once thought of getting the Flash, but after I held it, I felt it was kind of chitzy, kind of light weight plastic.

The Delica, esp, is a stalwart, and has the reputation of being rock solid. It has been in the Spyderco lineup for years, possibly decades--for good reason.

Getting you own feel for the knives, btw, is the smartest thing you could do. I find it amazing how much of a difference liitle differences is size and shape, really do make.

Welcome aboard.

4. FunctionMode

FunctionMode

Jul 25, 2010
    Update: I finally made it down to a knife shop; they had all of the knives I was considering and just about everything else. After holding the Vantage Pro and the Delica 4 side by side it was a pretty easy decision. The Delica is much lighter and much more comfortable. I really like the pocket clip on the buck, but after putting the Delica in my pocket I found that it doesn't stick out too far and the clip is more than secure enough.

Unfortunately the shop wanted over $80 for the Delica 4 FFG so I don't have one yet, but I'll probably be ordering one online sometime today.

Thanks again all who posted in this thread, your suggestions and advice were immensely helpful.

5. cutter17

cutter17

May 16, 2006
    You can get a low-ride clip that will fit the standard 3-hole pattern of the Spyderco from www.usaknifemaker.com for $7.42.:thumbup::)

6. FunctionMode

FunctionMode

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks for the tip. If I decide that I really do want a low-ride pocket clip I'll go there. :thumbup:

7. FunctionMode

FunctionMode

Jul 25, 2010
    Just a quick update. I got my Delica in the mail yesterday and love it so far. I haven't really had much of a chance to use it, but I carried it all day. It came surprisingly sharp; it'll shave hair off my arm and it slices through paper effortlessly.

Here's a picture I took with my phone. That's my Leatherman Juice CS4 propping it up.

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, I really appreciate all of the help. Hopefully as my knowledge grows I'll be able to offer my own help to those on this forum.

8. Splat

Splat

Nov 19, 2006
    Good choice. Good luck with the Delica. FWIW, I was going to recommend a Boker Trance.