Yet another, what knife? Question!

Well well well, here we go!

I got thinking the other day, this knife is good for this and that knife is good for that, BUT

If you were told you would be camping in a cold, wet and woody enviroment and could only have ONE folder of no more than FOUR inches, which would you carry?

Oh other rules
1. Must be a production model, no customs.
2. You will have no sharpening stones, thus you will have to sharpen using local stones etc.
3. You will have no tools to adjust or open a knife, no SAK etc
4. You will have a basic survival kit and no cans will be opened.
5. The knife will provide shelter and dress food etc.
6. NO MULTITOOLS! OR FIXED BLADES!

Well I get thinking about this and my top choices were eliminated for the following reasons.

Spyderco Military- great knife flat ground plain edge great steel 2nd choice

BM 750 Great, but reground edge is difficult to maintain WITH proper kit. 4th

BM 710 M2 as above and M2 rust problems?5th

MT LCC, Great all rounder steel puts it at 3rd place

Large plain Sebenza. The best folding fixed blade, great steel, tough as a tank and not as heavy as the LCC. 1st place!

Any other suggestions?
biggrin.gif

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

With no sharpening stones, I'd take a half serrated blade. They cut well, even when partially dulled.

I'd go with a Benchmade pinnacle, half serrated. Built strong, not much to go wrong with the locking mech., and good size.

[This message has been edited by jwv3 (edited 02-27-2001).]

Hmmm, but a serrated edge would be a nightmare to sharpen in the field with no proper tools and the recurve edge would not help a bit! Love this knife though! It is now my daily carry!

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Certified steel snob!

Wow! Now THAT is a knife! Must add that to my must get list... Thanks...
frown.gif

More money needed...
wink.gif

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Certified steel snob!

Spyderco Wegner would be my choice.

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

MY choice would be a Cold Steel Large plain-edge Clip-Point Voyager.

Very SHARP, and easy to re-sharpen.
AUS-8A "Stainless" steel.
Strong lock.
Not too expensive.

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Altough I think it's a small fraction over 4 inches, I would choose the Microtech Socom Elite M/A. I wouldn't take the auto version because I'd be tempted to play around with it and the spring might eventually wear out.

Seems the CS range is very popular!

I suppose in a survival situation a lower carbon steel would be better, easier to sharpen and less rust. Perhaps 8a would make a better steel in this case. Hmmm, perhaps one of the Voyagers aught to be on my list...

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Certified steel snob!

Either an Opinel or Cold Steel Twistmaster. Very tough, holds a good edge, and easy to sharpen.

Paul

Strange you brought that up. Nemo was telling me the other day how REAL special forces soldiers, prefer not the hi-tech that us armchair users (no offence intended, only I doubt many of us have special forces training) but rather good old fashioned 1075 carbon steel! Tough as old boots and cheap enough to bash.

Then another genuine SEAL told me that the seals use whatever works there and then. Whether it is a ATAK or a Stainless steel KA-BAR. They use that.

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Certified steel snob!

General, as Devil's Advocate, I want to know whay would you be in the woods without a multi-tool or a sharpening device. You can have an SAK or mult-tool, a sharpener, some matches or a lighter, a fairly powerful flashlight etc. and have under two pounds of gear. I know I am never without a least a Leatherman Micra and a Victorinox Midnite Minichamp. My choice for a knife would be a Spyderco Chinook, Wegner, or Military.

Ant, the reason is simple. If you are in the woods and will not be opening cans and have enough survival skill and knowledge. A simple folding 4" pocket knife is enough to survive. IF it is a good one.

We are the lucky few who carry all the time.

Well not always...

What really got me thinking was this. The other day while in Uni, I went to a local kitchen shop to get my mum a new kitchen knife. I am tasked with ensuring the good stuff is brought into the house. Well I went for a Global carving knife. Anyway, as I was in Uni all I had on my person was a SAK (Adventurer and Micra). Well the man in the shop had a 5" Buck 110 lookalike on a key chain. Well all I can say is I felt very uncomfortable in this situation, being without my Military and BM 750. Well a local MA group are running a one week training session and camp in the woods. I have been asked to lend my experience in survival and knife use to this group. I was asked to bring a selection of blades from different price ranges and explain why and what they do. I have been specifically asked to bring ONE knife that I would use. The simple fact is, one knife can pass the " is it legal" test when camping in the UK. When you consider that when camping I carry this-

Gerber Sport Axe
D2 Ka-Bar
M2 Nimravious plain edge
BM AFCK M2 Combo edge
BM 750 ATS-34 Plain edge
Leatherman Super Tool
SAK Ranger and Adventurer
Micra
and my soon to be owned Mini AFCK in M2, I am sure you can see the problem here. Overkill! My question is a simple one, one knife to preserve your life, what will it be?

Sometimes we must make do with what we have. I assume the worst and am happy when it is not quite so bad. Well thats all for now.

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Certified steel snob!

No SAKs or multi-tools? Well then I would choose my Schrade Old Timer 97OT (Buzzsaw Trapper). The blade is only 3.25" long and it does'nt lock (not a problem if you're careful) but it's easy to sharpen and very easy to control. The wood-saw would be handy and could save the main blade alot of heavy cutting. The handle is thick and comfortable delrin and even has tweezers in them.

710. If rust is an issue, get the ATS-34 blade, but I've never seen a speck of rust on ym M2 Nimravus, and I stripped the BT2 off with steel wool, and I've often left it wet.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Emerson Commander.

Real tough folder, with the looks to accompany it. ATS-34 blade holds its edge very well, titanium oxide coating prevents corrosion, ergonomic G-10 handle is tough and fits your hand perfectly ...... and the weight/balance feels just right, which will make its use less of a pain. Partially serrated blade would come in useful with the tougher things. I especially like the drop tip and the curved edge - easy to pierce and cut with just a simple thrust and straight pull.

interesting... restrictive criteria. probably one of the early [around '90-91] production cold steel clip point twistmasters. just happen to have a few. when do we leave?
smile.gif

what about a rekat carnivore in talonite? would that not be "production? if so, i'd have to opt for the talonite, hell, you can sharpen talonite on an erection!
biggrin.gif
well, on one of mine anyway.
off to sharpen my talonite...
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by russ (edited 02-28-2001).]

I would have to go with a REKAT Carnivore in the D2 material. I don't currently have one, but from the REKAT knives I do have, I see the quality build(like a TANK). With the D2, it must hold an edge very, very well. Blade length under 4", and good for cutting, slicing, stabbing, piercing, etc.

It has my vote.

------------------
Sean

If you find you must throw something at me, please make it a custom.

Back