Your EDC approach...

What is your EDC approach?

I carry a HD fixed blade with a plain edge in 1095 (BK-14) and a serrated, thin, stainless folder (Spyderco Salt 2 in H1).

Its a variation on the bushcraft approach of "big blade, small blade".

I can foresee some liking a traditional + modern approach - that's pretty cool! Best of both worlds.

Fixed and folder...

Carbon and stainless...

As big as you can get away with + something more dainty for use in mixed company...

High-end + beater....

What you're most likely to need for the day...

Minimalist (as little as you can get away with - SA Classic, Gerber EAB, etc)...

Etc....

What's your approach?

I’ve carried a Buck 110 everyday for the last 35+ years. A couple of years ago I started Carrying the little SAK in my watch pocket. Amazing how useful that knife is. The scissors especially.

About a year ago I started carrying more fixed blades so the 110 gets displaced off of my belt when I’m not working.

Still a 110 everyday to work.

If everybody was honest, I bet there would be a high percentage of answers saying “a large folder to look at and play with, and an SAK to do all the actual work”. :/

ETA - I completely stopped carrying my SAK so I wouldn’t use it to the exclusion of my other knife.

I tried EDCing various knives, but it was more trouble than it was worth. Now I only carry a knife when I know I’m likely to need one: hiking, working in the yard, etc. and function dictates form in those cases.

Vic Rambler on the keychain, used almost every day though rarely for the blade.

rambler_mod_1.jpg

Modded Vic Spartan on the belt, used every day mainly for the blades.

sakedcnew.jpg

Modded LM Charge AL in the bag used almost every day for loads of different things.

chargemod.jpg

The above is 'true EDC', I rarely swap anything out of the above carry. For suit wear I have a single small traditional but for the working day it's the above. If I'm out in the countryside I can easily make do with just a Vic Farmer. I don't really need the rest of the tools. The only time I want a fixie is if I'm really out in the woods but unfortunately that happens all too rarely. :(

farmer.jpg

Forgot to add at night when I take off my pants and switch to something like gym shorts I put on a neck knife. I’m never without a knife unless I’m in the shower.

I used to be super into the whole "EDC" thing. I carried a daybag that contained at least three knives, FAK, a flashlight, a backup flashlight, a giant key-ring of garbage little "tools", a pry-bar, means of lighting a fire, all this other stuff, CC firearm, etc. That damn bag had to weigh at least ten lbs, and of course it was a Maxpedition, because heh, of course it was. Nothing like carrying a big sign saying "ROB AND/OR SHOOT ME FIRST".

Then I realized that it was absolutely and utterly overkill and worse, was just me buying into a fad. I'm on Instagram and I see how silly and ridiculous EDC can get for some folks (no hypocrisy, I take pics of pretty things I'm not actually carrying around all day just like most of 'em). It's just not my thing anymore. Therefore, most days I am carrying a single knife, a fountain pen, and a handkerchief and I leave the daybag at home. I work in a, let's call it "non-permissive environment", so the aforementioned carry works for me. I made the switch something like three or four years ago, and haven't looked back. Not once in all that time have I had a moment where I have needed something I would have carried previously. I work in a lab all day, so the only time I use the knife I'm carrying is when none of my coworkers are around. We aren't technically supposed to have them, though I adhered to that rule for all of a week. Just to clarify, when I say I'm carrying a single knife, it's usually an Olamic, an Emerson, or one of my high end knives. On the absolutely rare occasion where I need to cut something, I see no need to do it with something I don't take pleasure from using. This setup works for me.

Usually I carry a bigger one and a smaller one. To be honest the bigger one is more for fidgeting and the smaller one is to use when there are sheeple about. My day to day cutting can be handled by pretty much any size of knife. I don’t let anyone use my knives so carrying one for loaner potential is not a consideration. I also just like having a backup. You know the saying, “Two is one, one is none”

I'm toying around with the idea of a small belt knife in crossdraw fashion. I've liked it so far with certain shirts as I don't like to draw attention to myself having a knife since I work in an urban environment in an office building.

I carry a 2-bladed traditional in the pocket, a GEC bull moose or my new lionsteel bestman, and then a modern folder clipped on the pocket. I use the modern folder for the dirty stuff like opening boxes as I always end up with tape residue on the blade after a while of using it this way. If I'm dressing up for customers or clients coming in, or similar, I'll stick with just the traditional in the pocket. I have a little pocket organizer that carries a light and a pen with the knife in the center. I've really liked this little thing.

Y9il5FWl.jpg

Fixed blades would get me in all kinds of trouble where I live if not completely exposed. If I am doing yardwork or puttering in my shop I use a BK-21 (I think...it's disco'ed, the uncoated Eskabar) in a dangler rig or a TOPS Little Bugger that I just clip through a carpenter loop on my pants. Normally I carry folders, usually a larger and a smaller. The larger is usually a Yojimbo, PM2, modded Holdout 2, or something similar. The smaller is usually a Boker Wharcom, Tuff Lite, or Delica with a Kahr nose cut into it. I seem to carry the knives I have changed to suit me more than I carry stock blades. Today the big knife is a Tiger Claw with that ridiculous ring cut off, the blade scooped under the thumb plate so it actually waves, and a grip cut into the handle.

The big knife must be long enough to cut a sandwich without getting gunk in the pivot, the small knife is for pretty much anything else. That's pretty much my criteria.

In summer I usually carry a single folder, be it a traditional or modern. During winter or when I’m in jeans/pants I started carrying a small traditional and a modern. I really don’t like a lot of excess stuff in my pockets or on my belt, and one knife has been just fine for my uses.

These are the main two I carried last winter, and they both see a lot of pocket time nowadays too, just not together.

TVhbXmk.jpg

I do keep a fixed blade in the Baja just incase I needed it, but I usually don’t carry one unless I’m going into the forest or mountains.

Last edited:
I think you got me figured out. I carry a modern folder as my main knife. 3.5in is the sweet spot for that. Recently, it is mostly my ZT 393, but I do switch it up. And I carry a traditional slipjoint on my belt in a side draw. usually a Case Trapper or maybe something more modern like a Benchmade Proper. The slipjoint is quite useful because often it is inappropriate to pull out my main folder in crowds. Already see plenty of mothers pull their children away at the sight of my slipjoint.

I approach where I keep my 3" CS folder, pick it up, and clip it to my pocket. Next day I do the same thing, and so on and so on. Also have a Vic Classic SD on my keyring.

Big folder and a small folder.
I usually care more about the small folder and use it strictly for cutting things that won't chip the edge up real bad.
The larger I use for larger things, naturally, but most of the larger things I cut tend to screw an edge up and are generally abusive to the knife.
Lately I've been pairing a small Sebenza with a larger knife I don't mind beating on like my Manix 2 or CQC 7.

My edc approach is to carry too many knives. Obnoxiously so.

4 folders and 2 or 3 fixed blades should just about do it....

I typically have a square nosed shovel, a "combat throwing shovel" a long machete and polled tomahawk in my rig too.

I cut maybe 1 apple a day, but like to carry a few traditional slipjoints, a matched pair of custom Kwaiken from Ben Tendick, and a modern folder or two. I usually have a finger hole neck knife from Jared Todd as well. A hunter from Phillip Patton makes rotations as well....

VeaCeVK.jpg

I have to add, I work in a suit and tie every day, and carry an over the shoulder bag with a large iPad pro, or laptop in it. All the knives go in my desk upon arriving at work. I'm in and our of court and the jail daily, so no weapons.

The handgun stays in the safe in my vehicle until work is over.

Last edited:
At work : LM Surge + SAK Explorer

When not at work : Surge + folder or Explorer + folder. I rotate folders depending on mood, feelings, alignment of stars, etc.

I tend to have 2 blades on me at all times.

I always carry : NiteCore AA flashlight + cell phone + RFID minimalist wallet + gum + Casio G shock

I keep a Get Home bag in my vehicle. That is another story ...

my EDC is simple - i carry one knife, every day. right now, and for the last year and half, its been a spyderco domino.

for about a year before that I was in a transition state trying out a few, to find my new EDC.

for about 10 years before that, it was a buck mayo cutback - but it needed retiring at that time

My approach is just to carry whichever of my traditionals is speaking to me at the time, I usually try to pick a weeks carry and get my users rotated through as regularly as possible but I do tend to stick with a new addition for a while to evaluate it.
Most of them are smaller folders less than 3.5", with a decent handful over that length including a handful of fixed blades I carry with the largest being the Buck 119.
When I carry a larger 3.5"+ knife I've always got a little guy along with it.

The small knives are enjoyed most of all, there's just something about carrying a little knife knowing it'll handle just about everything I could throw at it and then some.
Love the big ones too but am fully aware each time I use them that they're overkill which is a bit of a buzz-kill , not a deal breaker at all just something I'm aware of.

Back