Your Favorite 38 Special Load

What is your favorite self defense cartridge for this venerable combat round. I will give my top 5, feel free to add yours.

#1 Corbon DPX 110gr +P
#2 Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P Short Barrel
#3 Fed/Rem 158gr +P LSWHP
#4 Federal 125gr Nyclad
#5 Winchester WB 125gr SJHP

All fire to point of aim in either a snub or 4 inch GP100 at (21') meaning that I aim at the Q or bullseye and can get them in that 2 inch circle.

DPX = good barrier penetration, and excellent performance in tissue due to bearing surface.
Gold Dot - Bonded Bullet, good expansion even out of a short barrel.
LSWHP - Solid performer so long as it doesn't have to go through a car door or 4 layers of thick denim. Still tried and true in my book.
Nyclad - soft shooting, soft lead expands well in tissue.
Winchester - also soft shooting, expands well in tissue, inexpensive and passes the walmart test.

I have a 357 GP100, my snub was a 637 38 special +p. Also, 357 up until recently was hard to come by, so I went with the next best thing.

#2 as you listed. I can get them for $25/50rnds at the local gunshow which makes it cheaper than all the rest, while being a modern design with a happy PD that issues it.
So I can actually practice with it now and then.

#2 as you listed. I can get them for $25/50rnds at the local gunshow which makes it cheaper than all the rest, while being a modern design with a happy PD that issues it.
So I can actually practice with it now and then.

I happened upon 50 rd boxes of it from a police contract overrun a few years back. Bought 300rds of it, I shoot it now and again 20 rds at a time - and replace. Good stuff.

I am currently feeding my carry S&W 442 with Speer Gold Dot 125gr +p. No special reason other than that I am a fan of Gold Dots and Golden Sabres. I'm generally happy with any of the major brands in any of the standard loads.

Remington .38spl 158gr +P LSWCHP
Federal .38spl 158gr +P LSWCHP‎
Buffalo Bore .38spl 158 gr. +P LSWCHP

noticed you liked +p rounds for the 38.. why didnt you just go with a .357?

With a .357 snub you'll be tempted to load that with high powered rounds as well. Out of a scandium frame that could be crippling. Your other choice is to go with a steel frame which weighs a ton and requires a good holster.

A modern S&W airweight can handle a limited diet of +P and you can just drop that in your jacket pocket and it doesn't even sag.

I am currently feeding my carry S&W 442 with Speer Gold Dot 125gr +p. No special reason other than that I am a fan of Gold Dots and Golden Sabres. I'm generally happy with any of the major brands in any of the standard loads.

Itoo am a fan of both these choices, either in 38 or 357 as i am shooting them in a GP 100.....

Out of a steel gun 2-4 inch barrel: Speer Gold Dots (135 gr.)

Out of an Airweight: Corbon DPX (110 gr.)

The lighter DPX has less recoil. Less recoil = faster followup shots. Wadcutters ain't bad either.

noticed you liked +p rounds for the 38.. why didnt you just go with a .357?

He's probably like me and likes to take good care of his hands and wrists. They've gotta last a lifetime.

I like the new Hornady Critical Defense rounds in my 642. Even the +P load doesn't kick too bad and there isn't much muzzle flash.

I like the new Hornady Critical Defense rounds in my 642. Even the +P load doesn't kick too bad and there isn't much muzzle flash.

I picked up a couple boxes of these when I got my .38 and found out that this was the ONLY .38 ammo the store had left on the shelf. It had just come out and no-one could tell me anything about it. Has anyone tested these rounds in ballistic gelatin or through barriers and posted the results? Those boxes are currently at the bottom of the ammo can for when I run out of Gold Dot and Golden Saber.

Nyclads. I talked to a couple of Doctors and they mentioned that they really mess things up.

My carry load is Win 38+P 130 Grain PDX1 Hollow point. I have a S&W 442

RickJ

Last edited:
Back