Off Topic Your Favorite Handgun

What is your favorite handgun that you like enough to carry for the rest of your life:

• Colt 1911 and clones/variants

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • Browning Hi power and clones/variants

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • CZ75 and clones/variants

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Anything H&K

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Beretta 92F and clones/variants

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Sig Sauer other than 1911 line

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Glock

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Smith Wesson Pistols other than 1911

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • All other, FNH, Walther Ruger

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I am a revolver guy

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters
I have a rotation of 3 Glocks and two Walthers. If I had to pick... one gun for the rest of my life?! I’d pack a wheel gun.

Daily carry - Sig 232. Stainless .380 ( can’t own it in Canada)
BBQ gun- S&W 1911 E - series bobtail
I don’t own either..... impossible to carry a gun in Canada..... but what the heck, dreaming is free.....

current fav that I own= Ruger Blackhawk, stainless, 5.5 inch. Barrel, 357/ 9mm.

Daily carry - Sig 232. Stainless .380 ( can’t own it in Canada)
BBQ gun- S&W 1911 E - series bobtail
I don’t own either..... impossible to carry a gun in Canada..... but what the heck, dreaming is free.....

current fav that I own= Ruger Blackhawk, stainless, 5.5 inch. Barrel, 357/ 9mm.
I carried a P232 for years. What a pistol. It pointed itself and just looked beautiful doing as much. I miss it.

I have a rotation of 3 Glocks and two Walthers. If I had to pick... one gun for the rest of my life?! I’d pack a wheel gun.
Reliability all day / every day in all conditions it would be a wheel gun :thumbsup:
The fact that it can be fired from inside a jacket pocket (imagine a scenario) supports the above quote as well ;)

Can’t believe all the high end Busse’s here and no high end guns on the poll!

I personally carry a Wilson Combat EDC X9. A nice double stack 9mm (18 rds with the extended mag). Was tired of plastic guns, and this thing is just perfect for carry (I cArry Appendix). It’s a good shooter and Wilson has some of the best Customer Service in the biz.

They recently released a 5” version of it that I plan on getting for when I carry on my belt (gonna have a flared magwell and milled for a dot) or comps.

I do have an HK VP9 that I like as well, but I’ve been reading that they are having some financial woes, which makes me think I may have to eventually buy a Glock

I voted CZ 75 and variants because of my CZ 75 Compact chambered in 9 Luger. But, my go-to carry pistol is my CZ 83 chambered in .380 Auto. I keep a CZ 82 (9 Makarov) in my glove box, and I just got a Beretta 3032 Tomcat (.32 Auto) for deep concealment.

I carry the 83 because it rides a bit more comfortably than the 75 Compact in a UBG Regulator OWB holster. It conceals easily, even with only an untucked t-shirt. With a spare 13-round magazine I have a loadout of 27 rounds, more than enough for a reasonable worst-case incident. My biggest concern, should the need to use it defensibly arise, is forgetting I have it on me.

My favorite shooting pistol was a Colt DE I rented at a range many years ago. I liked it better than the Gold Cup. It's the reason I picked up a Kimber 10, but I want to de-customize the Kimber to feel more like that Colt. However, I would probably rate my S&W 1006 as a favorite outside of the range, followed by my S&W 66-8, 2.75".

Edit: Missed the carry part of the title. I settled on a CW45 for that role.

I'm in CT, so my carry gun has had to be adjusted due to law changes over the years.

Glock 27 during the federal AWB (10 rounds). Then a Glock 19 when the federal AWB was sunset. I also carried a Kahr PM9 when I needed better concealment. Unfortunately, after Sandy Hook, my choices were once again limited to 10 rounds. So I carried a Glock 43 with +1 baseplate since it was small, thin and light. After shooting the Sig P365, that's most likely going to be my new carry gun in the near future.

My two favs are a vintage Dan Wesson Panther, and a Sig Ultra Compact, both 1911s in 45 ACP. I never really thought I'd like a 1911 until I bought the Dan Wesson. There were so many articles about 1911s I decided to find out what the fuss was all about, so I went to a pawn shop and bought the well used Dan Wesson for $500. I fell in love with it almost immediately. Best $500 bucks I ever spent.

I really like Sigs. My favored carry that isn't a KelTec P3AT was a Sig P239 in .357 SIG, but I recently got a P365 that's easier to carry. Crimson Trace lasers on the KelTec and P239, and the SIG Lima 365 green laser on the P365. 'Cause I have really bad eyes.

This is a really tough question and I would not want to have to make the decision. I own everything in your pick list except CZ's (Dan Wesson excluded) and really like them all for different reasons. I have my favorites to shoot, custom 1911's, custom Sig X-Five Shorty, BHP, Glock, HK, Single Actions, Smith (especially wheel guns).. but they are not good carry choices for a one pistol forever choice.

My summer carry is generally a S&W 320PD because it is unmatched in weight. I carry it a lot in the winter too, but often carry a PC 327 (8 shot .357) in the winter. I like revolvers for concealed carry for a lot of reasons, weight to firepower ratio being one of them.

If I were forced to choose based on your criteria I would go with my Glock 30s (not to be mistaken for the 30sf). It carries great, is reliable, has excellent firepower, is relatively light/compact and plenty accurate.

The p365 is a nice gun in a perfect size for easy concealment.

They don't allow carry around here, but my friend is a LEO and can carry off duty. He's been carrying a Sig 365 for awhile and he recently picked up the manual safety version, P365-MS.

I got to handle it the other day, and it's pretty sweet. The ambi safety levers are very slim and operate with a satisfying click. The 365 has really nice ergonomics too, even for large hands.

So was wondering what everyone in here has for a favorite "carry" handgun. I thought I would throw up a poll as well. Since all of you guys have good taste in knives, I figure it likely transcends into other areas like handguns. So what is the handgun that you would own and carry if you could, or maybe already do. It has to be the one you carry. I have plenty of guns that I own, but won't carry all of them. So for example my favorite is the 1911 of course. But, if I had to carry it 100% of the time, I would likely go with my ugly glock instead. So I am picking the glock.

When it comes to carry it has to be Glock (34 for me) but I am interested to know what your all time favourite pistol is? Which 1911 variant/model?:)

I had a Nighthawk GRP Recon .45 with a surefire light and a .22 conversion kit. My goodness what a beautiful gun and super freakin accurate. Gave it to my brother in exchange for him to come out and work at my farm on Fridays this year. He offered to help for free but I told him I wanted him to feel obligated to be here and to work hard. He's been here every Friday for months now. :)

I'm eyeballing the Wilson EDC X9 Adian mentioned as a potential carry if I ever leave MD and then a nighthawk agent 2 in .45 for fun.

My two favs are a vintage Dan Wesson Panther, and a Sig Ultra Compact, both 1911s in 45 ACP. I never really thought I'd like a 1911 until I bought the Dan Wesson. There were so many articles about 1911s I decided to find out what the fuss was all about, so I went to a pawn shop and bought the well used Dan Wesson for $500. I fell in love with it almost immediately. Best $500 bucks I ever spent.

+1 on the Ultra compact Sign 1911. I've got one in 9mm, it's a fantastic gun! Capable of shooting way better than I'm able. It's fairly concealable, and relatively lightweight.

My second choice is a Springfield XD in 9mm or 45 (for open hip carry), and a Springfield xds in either caliber for concealed carry.

If I'm doing deep concealment, it's a sig 238 in 380- but it's my wife's regular carry gun. It too, is an absolutely fantastic gun.

Back