Your Favorite OBSCURE Spyder?

OK just to clear the air on the title of "OBSCURE Spyder" I'll start by saying that many of Spyderco's great models are almost household names in the knife community. Names like the Delica, Endura, POLICE, Military and RESCUE are all iconic, popular models that have really put Spyderco on the map so to speak.

But for years I've been fascinated with many of Spyderco's more obscure models. Models that few of the newer knife fans are even aware of. Models like the D'Alton Holder TOAD model, The SPOT model and the extremely unique MADDOX model.

But Spyderco's obscure models come out of several different eras in their climb to the popularity that they enjoy today. Some of my personal favorite obscure models are the SPUR, The ZOWADA, and the SPYKER. There are many others I could name but I want to know which OBSCURE Spyderco models you all like the best? Also which of the OBSCURE models do you all think would make excellent Sprint Runs.

OK let's talk about OBSCURE SPYDERS>>Your Favorites and ones you would like to see return?

Already got one of the Orange Dodos and a serrated g10 harpy but I would love to see a plain edge g10 harpy in a super steel

Already got one of the Orange Dodos and a serrated g10 harpy but I would love to see a plain edge g10 harpy in a super steel

I too very much loved the G-10 Harpy. As far as I know the only blade steel they ever made it in was ATS-55>> I was also told by one of the guys at SFO that they never made the G-10 Harpy in plain edge. With the recent talk about people wanting to see the G-10 Harpy return in a Sprint Run or just totally return in the main line up>> if they do either one I hope that they make it available in SE & PE both. With different handle colors for the different edge types.

Yeah the G-10 Harpy was definitely one of the more obscure Spyders and one of the better ones too I might add. And the orange Dodo is a great one as well. I love Spyderco's Hawkbill and Reverse S blades.

Some of their Recurves like the SPYKER & ULIZE were both obscure Spyders with a dedicated following.

They made a carbon fibre for a minute but the feel of the G-10 is just better...throw some s90v on that...sweet!

I don't know if it counts as obscure but I enjoy the little Balance.
You could almost wear a chain around your neck with it on the chain and people wouldn't know it was a knife.
To me anyway, when closed, it looks like a little flying saucer. If you don't know about it check out the youtube by the designer.

and we need more knife presentations like this one . . . IMO . . .

Ramco Laguoile hands down for me.
The bee on the spine makes it.
Oh yeah! I'd love to find one of those, been looking for a while (hence the WTB in my signature, lol).

I was going off the obscure spydies that I currently own.

~Chip

Oh yeah! I'd love to find one of those, been looking for a while (hence the WTB in my signature, lol).

I was going off the obscure spydies that I currently own.

~Chip
Ah, just noticed your sig line.
I've got a user version but am looking for a collector piece as well.
Seems I have some competiton. ;)

Ah, just noticed your sig line.
I've got a user version but am looking for a collector piece as well.
Seems I have some competiton. ;)

You've got one and didn't post pics:(

I'm looking for a user if you come across one (or get tired of yours;)).

~Chip

You've got one and didn't post pics:(

I'm looking for a user if you come across one (or get tired of yours;)).

~Chip
It's a pita to post pictures from my phone now that tapatalk isn't in play here.
I'll kickstart the desktop up sometime and catch up on all of the photo ops...

My vote goes to the Poliwog. It's one of my EDCs and I love carrying it. It's so mechanical looking and odd. It also gives me a full grip on a small knife. Awesome. I don't think it is a great candidate for a sprint run as I never liked the G10 version of the knife. It looks better to me in all steel. Obligatory pics.

4vxlRBb.jpg

OB0aZYf.jpg

D33bSqy.jpg

I liked the Junior, but never carried it, so it moved on.
I also like the look of the Roc, but would probably not carry it either.
I guess I'm not very adventurous.

Back