1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Your "impulse" threshold versus "ultimate" threshold?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TRfromMT, Feb 15, 2019.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I posted this in another thread:

"I've realized that impulsive buys below a certain price threshold are fun to try new knives, and if they don't work out, who cares. Impulsive buys above that price point are a lot more painful because I fret about the loss on a resale. So, if it feels impulsive above (for me, about $150), then I need to do more research before buying."

I have a few knives in the $400 - $800 range, and carry a Shiro (top end of that range) daily. I recently bought a Medford on impulse - what a stupid decision! That one really irritated me because I realized when I bought it that this impulse was going to be as bad as all others combined.

What is your "impulse" threshold? There a good number of threads out there about your upper threshold, but at what point do you start to think more?

2. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I'll say under $100. Just bought a Manly Patriot on impulse because I liked the handle color, the price was right (10% off Valentine's Day offer) and it was below the threshold. I do make sure I know enough about the knife before hitting the buy button, but it was definitely an impulse buy and something I didn't really need or even ever thought about buying.

I think this threshold you mention is probably a pretty good measure of your comfort level for knife buying in general. As of lately I'v spent more than $200 for couple of knife purchases, whereas before that was the absolute limit on my spending. Maybe my impulse threshold will go up accordingly;).

3. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    I used to have a modest impulse threshold but I recently impulse-bought a long lusted-after elmax Shiro Neon Ultralite, which upped my impulse threshold by a wide margin.
    I’m presently very seriously reconsidering my impulse buying threshold and the entire concept of impulse buying itself.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I refer to this as my "Neato" meter. The higher the "Neato" factor for me, the more I'm willing to pay for it. Very logical,huh?--KV

5. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    For me it's about $100, but I don't buy much. Maybe twice a year. I'll go higher if I think I can get my money back out of it if I don't like it or end up using it. If I do make an impulse buy, it usually dries up all buying for at least six months, as I don't make hobby purchases without cash to cover it.

6. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I'm going to adopt this!

If you divide the Neato factor by the dollars, you get neatos per dollar. You could then set a number (like 50 = BUY!).

7. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    Then you have to also adopt the OMG factor which un plugs your brain and does the buying for you.

madcap_magician likes this.
  8. orangejoe35

orangejoe35 Former McDonald's Employee Platinum Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I have a Kershaw Link in M390. It was $80. I believe that knife is of better value than any of my others. If I spend more than $80, it has to have something special. I'll look up reviews and comb through specs.

9. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    For me impulse buying is what ever it takes to hit that free shipping minimum w/o going over by more then roughly what shipping would be so "Free Shipping Minimum" + $10 is my impulse number. Usually it is adding on when I have an inexpensive knife or a knife just under that free shipping minimum that I already plan to buy.

10. MaxRichards

MaxRichards Knife Collector Platinum Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Definitely higher than it should be. Impulse is probably <$500 IF it's an unusual knife, or a unique piece. Ultimate requires at least a week of thinking about it per an agreement with my better half! :D

11. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't impulse buy ever. As a result I miss out on many decent deals. Heck, in the past week I hummed and hawed mulling over several on the exchange and someone bought out from under me. It's all good though.
    As for the other I am mulling one over $500 that's so against every rule I have (size, weight, etc etc) but for some reason I want the damn thing. Just trying to talk myself into it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  12. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Good question. Mine would depend on the knife. Still, it is probably very low as I have so many now.

13. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    In the earlier days of my knife hobby, I tended to have the same mindset as the OP: I would buy inexpensive knives without much thinking/researching. Gradually I have abandoned that habit because in terms of % of financial loss, it could be just as bad as or even worse than impulse purchases of more expensive knives.

14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    My impulse threshold in terms of price is the same as any other knife buys. I have seldom really been wrong with my impulses as long as it fits within my preferred size range. Re-sale is not even a consideration with a knife buy. It is money spent and gone. No going back.

The dominant impulse buys I have showed restraint with are with GEC slip joints. I pretty much love most of them. But I know from the moderate pile of unused GEC knives that I own, that it will likely be just another unused knife. I am definitely a creature of habit, and my EDC's reflect that in terms of how long I carry the same knife (frequently years) before being willing to move to something else.

15. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    My impulse limit is around $150. If I find a good deal on a knife around that price its hard to pass up. I got a 0450 and Southard recently for $140, probably wouldn't have bought them full price.

16. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    At this point in the hobby, take away the impulse buys and there isn't much left. I need another knife like a "hole in the head".

DocJD, AntDog, colin.p and 2 others like this.
  17. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    my 'impulse buy' limit is based on what I can sneak past my wife safely (depends on her mood)

that said, I have regretted several impulse buys... end up selling or gifting them (out of sight out of mind)

however I am a sucker for Spyderco/Zero Tolerance limited editions!

18. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Lol, done that. Better to give it to someone that will appreciate it than having it sit around collecting dust.

19. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Also continually seeing the 'bad decision' makes me feel stupid

20. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    The out of sight thing happened to me with an old Colt Woodsman. I was new to collecting and saw this nice one..... the bluing looked too good. Impulse buy. Took it home, and looked carefully at it.... Reblue. I should have inspected it more closely BEFORE I bought it. Don't need a shooter. Only interested in collector pieces. Sold it at a loss at the next show as I simply didn't want to be reminded of my mistakes.

I have purchased many guns on impulse at shows. It was part of why I enjoyed gun shows so much. Yes, I buy on impulse at knife shows.

Early on, like 10 years ago, I have regretted some knife purchases. But you get over it.