1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Your "impulse" threshold versus "ultimate" threshold?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TRfromMT, Feb 15, 2019.

1. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the thoughts.

2. sfknifeguy

sfknifeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    I sure wish I was more uptight, I just impusively bought a ZT 0562 in titanium from the local knife shop :confused:

3. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I stopped impulse buying last year. I’ve finally found what works for me and what I like. I use to impulse buy a few times a month, about $300 being my limit. Now the only Knives I carry daily are my Hinderers and CRK, I guess you get what you pay for :)

4. SherlockT

SherlockT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2019
    Neatos per dollar made me LOL. This is great. :p

5. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I don’t really impulse buy anything, ever. I may jump on a deal quickly sometimes, but I always know exactly what I’m getting and have a pretty good idea I will like it beforehand.

Researching things you think you might never run into comes in handy if one pops up and you have to pull the trigger.

6. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I have a one off folder, a CRK, an Emerson, a couple of Protechs , a 110, an Endura, a Triad, and a couple of fixed blades. There's very little left that is readily available under $600 that I would replace any of these with and I don't impulse that much money.

4mer_FMF and sfknifeguy like this.
  7. sfknifeguy

sfknifeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Nothing wrong with that at all. I do like the buy once, cry once mentality, although that seems to happen more than I'd like to admit! Good on you for that, now you just need a few sweet high end customs! I am also proud to say I got my ZT 0456 TI for $220, so I was pretty happy getting that kind of deal there!

8. E40

E40 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I tend to buy a knife that I will consider as a user - although they all do not end up being used. I try not to go overboard in price, but I do have several $400-$600 knives. I really need to thin the herd, got more users that I will ever use.

9. ArchVV

ArchVV

Sep 8, 2015
    At this point I have a pretty strict criteria for what I buy, so nothing is acquired purely by impulse. I generally spend a very long time considering purchases unless availability is an issue.

10. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    They’re all impulse buys. I tell myself no more for a while then something new and shiny comes along and I’ve got to have it. If it’s over 200$ I usually wait a week or so to see if I still “need” it. I don’t need another knife but somehow more will always find there way here.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  11. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    I don't impulse buy much now a days. I have found that once you get past around $100-$150 you are paying for "cool factor" more than anything else. I also have come to the realization that all the knives I have that are in that range set in the drawer while I carry a $18 Victorinox walker and a $25 Mora Eldris most of the time

12. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Over the past few weeks I decided I needed a pocketable slipjoint (but I am not into traditionals). I bought a Hinderer Slippy at $200, so this was a more considered/researched/purposeful buy. Two days later I bought a pair of Bokers that were somewhat what I was looking for, at right around $95 each (same deal, one purchase, but both below my threshold). I immediately turned the Bokers back around and came out about $10 poorer for my troubles. I kind of regretted buying the Bokers.

Object lesson for me is the impulse buy limit needs to be reset down a bit and I am usually far happier with items I've considered for a bit.

13. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I find that my throw-it-in-the-cart pegs around $50 when I'm using the family checking account. I can usually come home with something in that range without upsetting the weekly budget.

When I have cash to spend on whatever I want, I find that my impulse pegs around $250. I'll willy-nilly purchase a ZT without knowing exactly what i want.

Beyond that, i plan and check reviews. My purchasing price generally tops around $500. Beyond that, its just more than I want to spend.