Your list of top 5 "must-own" traditionals?

Howdy all,

There may be a thread on this but my search-fu isn't strong enough to find it.

I'm just beginning to become more aware of the variety of traditionals out there and am overwhelmed at the choices. So, knowing what you know now, help a potential new collector out.

If someone were to want to start their collection with a good sample of "great" traditionals, what top five "must-own's" would you recommend?

Go!

These are not in any particular order, but here are mine.

1: Peanut
2: Medium Stockman
3. Sodbuster
4. Mini-Trapper
5. TL-29

OK, here's my list if you're starting out; mind you, I thinking Case knives, which give you the most bang for your buck over any other USA made blade...

1. Stockman, medium size, with spey blade
2. Texas Jack in CV
3. Whittler
4. Physician/Doctor/Pharmacist pattern with spatula
5. Congress

...and lastly, to round out your collection, a single bladed lockback mini Copperlock. That should get you started, and as the obsession takes hold, you'll be looking at all German made examples of traditionals, and if you want to splurge, then other USA offerings from GEC, etc. If you become certifiable, then a custom made of your favorite pattern, which will easily set you back close to 4 figures. I have a supply of pre-ban elephant ivory, and I wanted a custom maker to make me a simple Stockman, in a simple 1095 steel, and I would supply the ivory...he wanted $995.00, so I guess I'll stay away from customs; that's Colt 1911 money. Good luck.

The most coveted at the moment is a case Bose Norfolk or a Case Bose pruner.

Regards

Robin

For me, it's a matter of history.

Stockman. Too much cutting packed into a pocket size package to ignore.

Barlow. Where would Huck and Tom be without one?

Scout. When I was growing up, it was a boys first 'real' knife.

Sodbuster. Lot;s od old time history in that one. Both here and in eastern Europe.

Peanut. Do I have to go there?:D

I'm going to name some brands (current and recently obsolete) as well as patterns;
1.) Standard Stockman - about 4" (Buck 301, Case 6392 or 6347, or any other good brand of your fancy - there have been hundreds of brands made over the years).
2.) Barlow (3-3/8") any good one you can find (GEC, Case, Böker, Ulster, Schrade, Camillus, etc.)
3.) Buck 103 fixed blade - for skinning.
4.) Buck 118 fixed blade - game deboning and meat cutting.
5.) Heavy duty lockback of your choice (Buck 112 or 110, Schrade LB7, Case Mako or Hammerhead, etc.)

My recommendations since participating in this wonderful subforum.

1) Opinel - I bought a #8 in carbon steel and it has been my go-to for Scouting trips where I can't take a fixed blade. Very capable knife for the money.

2) Swiss Army Knife - I've had a SAK of some sort since I was a kid, they're just too darn useful. The Alox versions are very nice (Cadet, Pioneer, Soldier, Farmer)

3) Sodbuster - Simple no frills knife that will handle your cutting needs.

4) Jack Knife - One of my favorite patterns. Main clip blade & a smaller pen blade.

5) Peanut - I traded for a Case yellow Peanut after reading the praises sung by member jackknife above. At first you will think it is too small, but keep carrying it. After a while you will realize it can handle most of your daily cutting needs. A lot of utility for a little knife.

If we are talking about folding pocketknives, here is my list in no particular order:
1. Case Peanut
2. Case Stockman
3. Opinel
4. SAK
5. Buck 110

MY list, which may not be the ideal list for anyone else:

1. Case Small Texas Jack, 62032
2. Victorinox Alox Cadet
3. Case Medium Stockman, 6318 or 63032 pattern depending on your preference.
4. GEC #15 in your choice of blade configuration (Boy's Knife, Boy's Jack, TC Barlow, Radio, etc).
5. Buck 301 or 303 Stockman. For those tougher jobs.

My advice to a new collector is to start slow and pace your purchases. I don't know if you plan to collect for display, trading, compulsion to own things, or plan to carry and use them. If you are a carry-use kind of person, I would propose the following advice, which I wish I could send back in time to myself.

- After you compile your list of "must haves" buy ONE knife, in the middle of the pack (i.e not too small, not too big, not too many blades, not too few).

- Carry that knife daily for a solid month. Use it, clean it, sharpen it, get to know it. See how well it fits your needs. Let it get some wear, patina, scratches and dings, to where you don't worry about it and just carry it.

- DON'T BUY any other knives during that month. You can look and plan, but don't buy.

- At the end of the month, you will have learned what you do and don't like about that knife, the handle materials, the steel, the weight, the size, the blade shapes. Now you are ready to make your second purchase, armed with that knowledge.

- Repeat the process. 1st knife goes in the drawer, new knife in the pocket, carried for a solid month.

What this will do is allow you to pace yourself, and focus your purchases on knives you will really like and that fit your needs. It is way too easy to grab a bargain here and an interesting pattern there and find yourself with way more than you really intended on getting, instead of a focused group of styles and patterns that you'll actually use and carry. At the end of a year you'd potentially have 10 to 12 knives. You can adjust those numbers a bit depending on your budget per knife and overall budget. You might even get to your top five in the first five months and find that you were satisfied with those.

Still thinking about the last four but my #1 would be an amber stag copperhead by Bill Ruple. It's probably more of a "never-own" than a "must-own" though. :D

You'll want a chopper. I like khukuris personally.

Now you'll need a smaller knife. A puukko pairs well with a big knife.

dsc1788o.jpg

Do you want a folder? I like the balisong for its strong lock. They're fun too.

dsc1775i.jpg

Enough with the foreign stuff. How about a good ol' American bowie and tomahawk?

dsc0921p.jpg

Oh my...did you mean slipjoints? Should've said so. :D

Bose Tribal Spear/Zulu - Case version OK.
Bose Norfolk - Case version OK.
Scagel reproduction folder - single blade, 5 pins, stag/antler handle made by Jerry VanEizenga if you can
Leather stacked fixed blade - Bird/trout by western for me.
Remington Bullet knife - custom if possible

Barlow
stockman
Tear drop jack
folding hunter/trapper ex. Remington 1123/1173
3"-3 1/2" equal end pen

I agree with the already chosen American Patterns (especially the Peanut and the Barlow). But please do not forget: Europe has some very nice traditional knife patterns as well!

An absolute must have is some kind of friction folder like the Svord Peasent. That pattern is around since the roman empire ruled!

Now for a few European examples to get your imagination (and google-fu) going:

Germany: Mercator Knife (55 Cat knife)
Germany: classic lever lock "Springer"
Germany: Hippekniep (kind of the German version of a sodbuster)
Germany (fixed): Jagdnicker

England: classic Sheffield Lambsfoot (one of my personal favorites!)
England: Ettrick

Spain: Navaja
Spain: Pallaresa (Shepherds Knife)

France: Opinel
France: Laguiole
France: Corsican Vendetta Knife
(Just examples, the French have many beautiful regional patterns, for examples see HERE (Thanks Pete! ;)))

Scandinavia, (fixed and folding)(I do not know exactly where which one comes from): Mora, Fjällkniven, EnZo, EKA

Serbia: Shepherds knife

That is just a few examples but should cover the most well known ;)

Best regards,
Benrd

Back