Your list of top 5 "must-own" traditionals?

This has been an entertaining thread. How about hearing from the OP, what have you learned.

My contribution is this, five I don't have. Ha

Somehow this thread fast forwarded from 4 years ago so 300Bucks question posted in April of 2014 is even more relevant today... A addylo what have you learned in last 4 years? :D Better question is, how many hundreds of knives have you accumulated? ;)

Just based on reading the variety of suggestions and being a person that has only been gathering knives for a few years... I think it does take a while to learn what you like and that could always change with your next purchase :) I think not only is it fun finding your favorite traditional patterns, but it is just as fun to find the traditional handle material that you like for each pattern. Below are my current favorite pattern/handle combinations :thumbsup:

1. Barlow (sawcut bone)
WB-1C.JPG

2. Jack knife (clip & pen / harness jack in some nice jigged/picked/peachseed bone or old wood)
NYKCHJ-1C.JPG

3. Stockman (for looks bone/stag; for practical use staglon, cabone or delrin)
SC-3.JPG

4. Scout / Camp Knife (for looks I love the old bone scout knives; for practical use delrin or traditional SAK cellidor)
SSS1D.JPG

5. Pruner (beautiful old wood)
BOW.JPG

To me the search for traditional handle material has been just as fun as the search for my favorite patterns. Of course, my choices are only traditional slip joint folders, you could have another category for fixed blades and locking knives too! o_O

P.S. For historical purposes, I think a collector of traditional knives should have a smattering of cool old celluloid handle knives too that they store away from all of their other favorite knives ;)

20180505_201456_2.jpg

A Boy's Knife Jack, a Lockback, a Peanut, a Barlow, and a small Fixed Blade.

My list of must-own knives is short.

First, a 2.5"-3.5" pen knife.
Second, a 3.5"-4" jack.

Everything else is just gravy.

5 - sodbuster jr

4 - peanut or similar

3 - pen

2 - Vic recruit

1 - classic Barlow

Honerable mentions would be the Vic classic, and a Buck lockback of your choosing bid or small.

Back