Your most unusual blades

I absolutely love that blade!! Home mod? Pro mod? Custom factory option? Or just a little Photoshop action?
It was a factory knife out of which I knocked the blade and installed it in a Buck Collector’s Club Take Apart Aluminum 110 handle.

The Nirk lock is definitely a nifty one:cool:

View attachment 1497819

I used to have a mini tighe rod and loved the nirk lock. Just wish I could get my hands on a medium size one.

Probably my only "unusual" knife:
rAXF9Bn.jpg

What's the bottom one? Looks like a TOPS but I couldn't find that model on their page.

That's an original version of the TOPS Magnum. Aluminum handles, 154 steel blade (black coating sanded off). I bought it back in 2002 or 2003 after reading a review from a respected member here who used one to pry open a bathroom door in a bar after the door knob malfunctioned and a woman was trapped inside. I was looking for a heavy-duty folder, and the TOPS Magnum appeared to be the best candidate at the time. It was the start of my "mega folder" phase.

That's an original version of the TOPS Magnum. Aluminum handles, 154 steel blade (black coating sanded off). I bought it back in 2002 or 2003 after reading a review from a respected member here who used one to pry open a bathroom door in a bar after the door knob malfunctioned and a woman was trapped inside. I was looking for a heavy-duty folder, and the TOPS Magnum appeared to be the best candidate at the time. It was the start of my "mega folder" phase.

I really like the looks of it. How's the action? I might have to try to find one.

I really like the looks of it. How's the action? I might have to try to find one.

When I first received the knife it took both hands to open it. Turned out they put three washers in the pivot (I assume a mistake). I removed one, leaving one on each side, and that solved the problem and allowed me to open it easily one-handed. After sanding off the textured blade coating it opens smooth as glass. A light wrist flick swings the blade all the way open.

The original Magnums don't have an adjustable pivot, the pivot is a thick solid steel rod that seats between the handle sides.

Lock up is rock solid with no blade play. I ground away some of the outer edge of the lock bar on mine because it was digging into my finger during use, so my lock will look different than the lock on others.

The blade is 11/64ths" thick (4mm) with a hollow grind and a fine edge.

There's no pocket clip, or holes for one.

W. Anderson W. Anderson

I like that! Not the sort of thing I would normally buy, doesn't fit my personal style. But, I know a thing or two about art, and some things about knives. That qualifies on both counts!
I can see why some might give it a sideways glance. I think that's what makes it special, you have to look past the form to see the function. I ASSUME that it's fully functional, and properly heat treated. Details would be appreciated.

I'm almost jealous....

Y
W. Anderson W. Anderson

I like that! Not the sort of thing I would normally buy, doesn't fit my personal style. But, I know a thing or two about art, and some things about knives. That qualifies on both counts!
I can see why some might give it a sideways glance. I think that's what makes it special, you have to look past the form to see the function. I ASSUME that it's fully functional, and properly heat treated. Details would be appreciated.

I'm almost jealous....
Yep. O1 steel at ~61 HRC. The edge-in orientation makes it fairly specific in use, but it also sees daily tasks. Mostly opening slim jims and envelopes, honestly. Google "sage blades" for more of Dylan's work. He is a true artist.

Thanks for that! I count no single affront to my artistic sensibilities. A fine piece, you should be proud!

Awesome knives! Had no idea John graham made a flipper hatchet (for lack of a better term)... What are the specs on it? Blade steel etc....

That one's a Graham Pocket Hawk. 6" open, 1" of edge. CPM-154 if I remember right. Got it direct from Jon about 2 years ago and it's still one of my best flippers.

Awesome knives! Had no idea John graham made a flipper hatchet (for lack of a better term)... What are the specs on it? Blade steel etc....
Man if you are ever looking to relocate that pocket hawk hit me up. Been after one for a VERY long time and would love to add it to my collection of Graham's (47 total so far)

Back