Your opinion on the NedFoss Bowie

Sorry, didnt mean to say they didnt make a bowie-like object in stainless steal, but I don't consider their stainless "bowies" to be bowies.

I'm happy to talk use and historical examples of bowies all day. One of my favorite subjects.
boPLAvQ.jpg

VMuLpTn.jpg

sjfBxum.jpg

Think outside the box. Maybe your stainless bowie is awesome, but I've used one once, and will need some serious evidence to ever buy another.
HBqeyUo.jpg

Last edited:
So only accepting carbon steel is thinking outside the box, but accepting both is inside the box?o_O Seems pretty backwards.

Nice bowie BTW

Thank you! Been an interest for many years.

I thought about that stainless point and it's a good point. I'm open to to it but I've got my own experince and evidence. Mainly some seriously knarled edges from makers I dont want to bring into it. Already looking like a troll but just highly opinionated about an unimportant topic and sometimes too blunt. My humor doesnt always communicate right.

I also think that bowies should be convex, and at that point stock removal and stainless seems crazy. But I am down with a 10.5" stainless clip point FIGHTER or CAMP KNIFE.

Really comes down to use. People looking for a camp knife dont need to be looking for a bowie.

May want to check out the San Mai Trail Master...not really meant as a pure fighter, but has a convex edge. I lent one to @Pàdruig to try out, and last I heard he was pretty impressed with it.

For fighters, they also had the San Mai Laredo and Natchez, but they are discontinued.

Sorry, didnt mean to say they didnt make a bowie-like object in stainless steal, but I don't consider their stainless "bowies" to be bowies.

I'm happy to talk use and historical examples of bowies all day. One of my favorite subjects.
boPLAvQ.jpg

VMuLpTn.jpg

sjfBxum.jpg

Think outside the box. Maybe your stainless bowie is awesome, but I've used one once, and will need some serious evidence to ever buy another.
HBqeyUo.jpg

They are bowies in all physical aspects that make a knife a bowie. Therefore, they are bowies.

Fakespot says the positive reviews on the Amazon site are legit. Real people seem to like the knife.

But I don't think most people buy bowie knives to use -- but because they like them, especially if they have macho designs with lots of curves and saw teeth. Their reviews mean little.

My sense is that it's a cheaply made knife. The sheath looks especially cheap. Definitely a mall ninja design, but that's not necessarily bad. I used to have the Buck 184 Rambo knife. I had lots of fun with it, but it's not the kind of knife that you'd want for a high level of utility.

The arguments over what is and what isn't an authentic bowie knife will never end, and there is not much evidence for what a bowie really is. But I'd guess that Jim Bowie's knife didn't look much like this one. After reading a lot of opinions on bowie knifes in threads here on Bladeforum, I get the sense that the real bowie knife was probably more like a kitchen knife than anything we'd call a bowie knife today.

Stainless is to bowie as yellow is to Ferrari. It is simply not done by normal people.

Bowies are always carbon steel and large.

A Bowie knife can of course be stainless. Here is one of mine.
Doesnt need to be big either. Look at vest Bowies - both the traditional and the contemporary ones. Also the Perrin Military Bowie and the Spyderco Street Bowie to name but a few.

There are probably more stainless than carbon bowies in the world. I'm not saying that is good, just logical. The average buyer will most likely pay $25 for a nice damascus blade than $1,000 for a custom san mai.

That isnt a bowie. Too small and junk stainless. Bowies are always carbon steel and large.

Such a strange hill to die on??

Seems equivalent to arguing that your favorite color of crayon is the only color of crayon that is good...

There are stainless steels that produce performance better than simple carbon steels all day long, in every category, including edge stability and edge retention, toughness, even at higher hardnesses than simple carbon steels.

I'm partial to AEBL (and several stainless steels lumped in that same category).

Easy to sharpen. Tough....decent wear resistance (better than 1095, 1084).

At the same hardness as simple carbon steel it is about 6 times the toughness measurement.

It is also bit tougher than 52100 which is a steel i also love.

I had several knives as a kid 35 plus years ago that soured me on stainless. From quality makers (at the time).

Don't let a poorly chosen steel, with a poor heat treat affect a whole category of steels.

It is like saying all cars are bad because your Pinto caught fire, or refusing to use tires because a set of Bridgestone delaminated...

There are certainly certain specific stainless steels I would not want in a large chopping bowie, etc.

Knife steel needs has great info where you can actually compare the numbers on a host of steels in every major category.

I'm not a "super steel" snob. I love many different steels. From 1055, 1065, 1084, 1095, 5160, L6, 52100, all the way up to cpm3v, and beyond.

Stainless, non stainless, tool steels, high speed steels, shock steels, spring steels.

I have knives in too many stainless and carbons to name.
Forged, stock removal etc. I've made both.

I have forged and stock removal steels in AEBL and love it in each.

There is a huge population of knife guys who won't use carbon steel, or won't use stainless and each side is missing out!!

This is not helped buy makers who spew out misinformstion about which ever steel they use vs which ever steel they hate.

Last edited:
Back