1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chapp, Jan 26, 2019.

1. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1

Jul 26, 2010
    I like the guy, vids are pretty good, and I love when he forgets a part when putting a knife back together. That’ll never get old to me and it shows a genuine nature and honesty in his vids.

2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Bump
    Nick
    Where art thou ?

3. NickShabazz

NickShabazz Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 10, 2014
    I'm around, and checking the thread from time to time. But I'm trying not to bump the thread any more than needed, just because that feels super egocentric. (He says, bumping the thread!) And yes, that's a better method of reassembling the Delica, but I still don't tend to recommend taking the Delica apart.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  4. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    You're welcome
    What's the Balrog laying in wait ?

5. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Translation for the non reader :
    What is the scary reason not to take a Delica apart? Why not take it apart repeatedly ?
    and
    the reason I came back to post today . . .
    I just watched the YouTube on the small 31.
    Rick you say the reason for angling the clip onto the frame of the knife and off of the lock bar is :
    So the knife sits at a different angle in one's pocket.
    I immediately did a double take.

Isn't the reason for putting the tip of the clip onto the frame is to get it oriented so it doesn't apply excessive force on an already robust lock bar !
    The old one on the lock bar is exacerbated by how one grips the knife, fingers on top of the pocket clip, and so forcing the clip down on the lock bar and so applying even more un wanted resistance to unlocking the knife.

With the clip on the frame any force applied to the clip while gripping the knife to unlock it is transferred . . . benignly . . . onto the frame leaving the lock bar relatively free to swing open.
    Yes ? ? ?

6. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    you seem somewhat surprised that someone who just talks a lot about knives could have a logic problem when trying to imagine practical use

nothing in his videos (for me at least) speaks to him actually using the knifes in a daily, practical, or common way
    (opening a few boxes and the odd strap does not quality you as a 'knife user' imho)

I've always taken the approach his vids are useful to see one up-close, and flicked opened and closed a few dozen times and perhaps taken apart. Beyond that, I don't put much value in his lamentations etc ; )

A.L. and Munroc like this.
  7. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I don't think Nick would *want* you to put much value in his views. I think he takes great care to make clear that his opinions are exactly that--opinions. Your mileage may vary. I appreciate the fact that he takes care to explain *why* he holds a particular opinion to allow the viewer to make his or her own value judgments.

As an aside, as someone who has had a knife in his pocket every day for the past 50 years or so, what must I do to qualify as a "knife user"? Skin an elk?

8. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    In todays world of knife experts. He is at the top of his game . Doesn't waste your time on cut tests , hardness tests

Jake

9. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    I like his reviews and find I share a lot of the same opinions, so I generally trust what he says. I find his videos super helpful when trying to figure out if I want a certain knife or not. He's talked me out of a lot of knives I would have definitely regretted buying and I appreciate that.

He's pretty up front about how he uses his knives, and has stressed that he's not out there doing hard physical labour with pocket knives. He's a scientist who uses his EDC knife in the same way most people do, cutting open packaging or the odd piece of fruit. In fact he probably uses his more than your average person given he's talked about using certain knives like his Razel in around-the-house DIY work and maintenance. I know when I'm doing stuff around the house I don't reach for a pocket knife generally.

"opening a few boxes and the odd strap does not quality you as a 'knife user' imho"

So using a knife doesn't make you a knife user unless you use it to the degree you've arbitrarily come up with in your head? That's a weird thing to gatekeep. If he's not a "real" knife user, very few people are, including most of this forum. Most of us are just regular people who happen to be knife enthusiasts.

10. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    Can't say I've ever really thought about carrying a knife at the gym. I don't carry a knife for defence and can't think of any other uses for one in that setting. That said, if I had to, probably my Piranha P1. It's thin and lightweight and I've clipped it to the inside of my gym shorts before while going out for a walk on a hot day.

11. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    For the record, bumping the thread more than needed would be egocentric.

Taking care to *not* bump the thread would be superegocentric.

NickShabazz and halden.doerge like this.
  12. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    And would bumping it rapaciously and without thought or regard be idcentric?

r8shell and Eli Chaps like this.
  13. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Aug 4, 2015
    I think I need to start carrying a spoon instead of a knife since I'm not out in the wild using a knife all day, everyday. If you find out how to become a real "knife user", pass it along to me...

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    So using a knife doesn't qualify one as a knife user? I'd be curious to hear an explanation behind this.

kefefs, palonej, RickyBobby and 3 others like this.
  15. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    Me 2. Since the middle 60s a knife has been in my pocket. Nothing is funnier than someone trying to use scissor to cut with .

16. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Who? I dunno who/what he is.

17. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Did you just read the title of the thread and then post? I ask because there are plenty of context clues to glean that info if you had read even just the first page.

18. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Agreed. The sad thing is people will claim that nobody really needs a pocket knife in an urban setting. Then they will reach for a pair of scissors.

But, the icing on the cake is this... those same people will complain about the condition of the scissors the next time they are used. How they are made out of poor materials, and how co-workers never take care of office equipment, etc.

The next step is when workers start hiding scissors so that they have a "good pair."

benchwarmer380 and buckeyejake like this.
  19. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Seriously. The man himself has commented in this thread.

Knowing the topic and reading the thread always helps when posting in a thread.

kefefs, RickyBobby and benchwarmer380 like this.
  20. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    ELK! That's passe!
    REAL knife users have skinned a unicorn.
    SUPER knife users have done a chromatic dragon or two.

Rykjeklut, kefefs, Pomsbz and 3 others like this.