Your Signature?

Could those of you who use signature kindly explain the reason for your choice of it?

As for mine, this forum is such a huge wealth of information that I'm humbled by my realization of my ignorance. As such I would rather learn even only 10% of what is in here than "learn" 100% BS!

Thank you!

------------------
"It is better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot." -- Anonymous

Hey Titan.
smile.gif
You have work on Saturdays, too??

Dan

It looks like dannyc and I both use our first names as our signature. (Having fun at work, dan? Don't worry, I won't stay up so late that I will miss the post office tomorrow
wink.gif
)

Many quotes come to mind when considering that type of signature. I noticed 1reduck signs "Don't sweat the details." and I have responded "Just remember, its all details" but I am reluctant to place a permanent quote at the end of my posts. I felt a simple familiarization would be cordial, even though my Christian name is part of my handle.

Many quotes come to mind, but my favorite is simply too long to post in full. I have posted it in the past, when appropriate, and will do so now, since you raised the issue.

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

King Henry V (to Westmoreland)
Shakespeare’s Henry V

I used to use it when doing sound checks back when I worked in a nightclub. Really threw the bands for a loop. Beck got a kick out of it, though. (gratuitus name drop)

------------------
James

I have used both a quoye from from a cartoon caracter(Yeah I know I mispelled it, no caffine yet) Marvin the Martian, he's my favorite. And a quote that could be Clauswitz but is actually Metalica. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Joshua
To secure peace is to prepare for war.
Where's the KaBoom? There was supposed to be an earth shaterring KaBoom!

The Latin phrase in my signature comes from the seal of the Confederate States of America. Translated, it means "God vindicates" or "God will vindicate".

csaseal.gif

------------------
Kelly

Deo Vindice

Joshua, actually the quote is from Flavius Vegetius, a Roman writer from, I think< the 4th Cent. CE. In Latin it is "Si vis pacem, parabellum". BTW, that is where the use the term parabellum as applied to the, initially, German 9mm pistols and rounds came from.

As for my signature quote, it is a Quaker expression. The Light is the Light of God. It means "Go with God" or "Vaya con Dios".

Spark, please note that I am not proselytizing here.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

Duplicate post deleted.

[This message has been edited by FullerH (edited 29 May 1999).]

I use my tag line alot because it is true. And it might help someone to remeber who I am a little sooner, kind of like, ( there is that fat blow hard from Texas again ) hahaha. I am not sure how it is thaken in the written form, but over the phone it does get some chuckels. My brother inlaw just walk in and told me that "it displays my presonality". I think this is his way of calling me a fat slob, hehehehe.

Your fat little buddy in the Texas Panhandle
Chris, Top of Texas Knives
www.toptexknives.com

------------------

I have two signature lines I have used. The first is "Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz". It was inspired by the James Mattis's Norway Troll picture. Unfortunately the link to that picture appears to be broken.

Another signature I've used on occasion is "Stop when you get to bone". I don't use this one as often here in these forums. I use it mostly when my wife is cutting my hair.

David Rock

------------------
Money can't buy happiniess, but it can buy knives, and knives make me happy.

I use the Jefferson quote in mine because it sums up the way I feel about knives, guns, martial arts knowledge, etc. They're fun to have and I hope that I never have to use them for self defense, but I will if there's no other choice.

------------------
Ciao

Mike Melone
memelone@yahoo.com
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796

My sig is pretty self explanatory, it's just something for fun.
But on this Memorial Day, let me re-emphasis what has already been said above,

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers,

SemperFi Gentlemen.

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

From a series of books called the wheel of time.
To me it means that it takes time to find out who you are and it doesn't really matter too much what others think you're like.
In context it's a voice in the main character's head talking.
wink.gif

------------------
"I wouldn't mind you being inside my head if you weren't clearly so crazy."

My sig is either the translation of my forum name or a commentary about it and the name 'Sochin' is my favorite demo kata.

------------------
The Fighting Old Man

Mine is just an alteration of an old, and honorable one, but it feels more appropriate for the current generation.

------------------
Live free and buy. It's the American way.

I just liked the quote, cause when it boils down to it, it turns out pretty true. There are others that I'll be swapping out with from time to time, but this one usually gets a nod from most people.
wink.gif

G2

------------------
When a fellow says, "it ain't the money but the principle of the thing,"
it's the money.
F. McKinney Hubbard

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

I used to not be a very nice guy (some would say I'm still not all that nice, though I think I've come a long way). When I had to, I could put on a nice act that would fool most people, but not my family and friends.
I guess my signature was born out of my acknowledging (and people constantly reminding me) that I'm not all I'm cracked up to be.
wink.gif

------------------

Win
Knife lover, Philosopher, Humanitarian, and All-around nice guy
(all right, so I'm just a knife lover)

Sometimes the tiny details of a story put everything about the truth in the right perspective. The rape trial of Mike Tyson, for me hinged on one tiny statement by the victim " I felt yuckey". Likewise, an offhand comment made during the hearings on what happened at Waco, for me, formed a mental picture of a Government totally out of control. Innocent children inside the compound were being terrorized by armed assailants outside. For these kids, it had to have been a nightmare come to life. Outside, our professional FBI agents mooned the compound. My signature reminds me of the level of terror our Government can and will sink to. After the siege was over, I am sure most, if not all of these mooners went home to their families, and maybe even their own children. I imagine they gave as much thought to their actions as the Nazi death camp guards did to their herding of children into the showers. Strong analogy you ask? I don't think so. The end result was the same. Dead innocent children, and apathetic Government.

------------------
(!)

Mine's from George Silver's "Paradoxes of Defence" published in 1599.

And, of course, is basic martial arts philosophy.

------------------
"..it is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a
stone at every dog that barks at you.."

My signature line was used by my lovely bride earlier this year after another knife purchase.
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?

Back