Your Traditional Knife of 2017

Is it OK to say that I can't narrow it down past two contenders? These two rank equally for me, and I will have to show both.
7s7JL96.jpg

2Yh1IRY.jpg
Uh-oh :oops: @lambertiana you're gonna get in trouble with Jack Black Jack Black for that :eek::D
You must choose 'The One Knife';)
Michael

I'm glad you had the courage actually use it! Thank you for the kind words :thumbsup:
Stellar indeed! I purchased it from a fine gentleman here on The Porch.
Thank you for making it available to me. I have been brave enough to use it, but probably spend more time fondling it and staring at it than actually carrying it!

I've been lucky to acquire "several" nice traditional knives this past year, but these are the standouts fo me.

The Chuchill. The clawed cougar & stags were really nice, but the micarta just called to me.
IMG_0655-X3.jpg

Barlows have been a favorite of mine for over 60 years. I picked this really nice Case XX up from the exchange.
DSC_0029-X3.jpg

I discovered the stockmans in the early 70's & they're a very close second, behind saw cut bone Barlows, for my favorite pattern. Here's two 66's that I picked up this year.
DSC_0041-X3.jpg

IMG_0518-X3.jpg

There's nothing really special about any of them, except they make me smile. My nomination for Knife of the Year would have to be the Chuchill though.

For me 2017 has been a good knife year. I decided to get back into traditionals on a whim. I had been shopping and waiting for the right knife to come around. I love stockmans. When I was a kid I had an old timer large stockman. I dont remember much about it. So I have been on the hunt for a big stockman and couldnt find what I was looking for. I like the clip point and the sheepsfoot blades on a stockman. Then one day I saw the 81 Bull Moose and thought “if only that was a sheepsfoot and not a spearpoint.” Then I realized I could do something bold and grind that spear into a sheepsfoot! So I pulled the trigger on a natural micarta and on an ebony handle. I got to work and they turned out exceptional. I have carried the natural micarta handle the most. The modded 81 Bull Moose has rekindled a flame that I thought was long sliced and diced by my numerous Spyderco Military sprint runs. Now I am constantly looking for a new traditional to buy. Havent seen one yet that I like, but it wont be too long.

Here is a pic of both. In the first pic the Ebony hadnt yet been modded. It was fresh off the grinder in the second pic
D124170F-9A2A-4454-B8CA-BA59AE93F8A7.jpeg C79D92A5-1C9F-4078-8AA3-64F16991527E.jpeg

it might have to be the 48 diamond jack for me. I ended up with 5 of those things at one point and I hate the muskrat clip. :eek::D:D:D:thumbsup:

My Churchill #35 Gabon Ebony would have to be my all around Favorite for 2017 since it falls into my pocket more then any other with my sambar stag 35 a close second but the black beauty has stole my heart .
My new Tuna Valley Carpenters Whittler almost knocked both off there pedestal because of its beauty but sometimes that’s just not enough . I have to stay loyal to my Ebony #35 :)
JHe1bTM.jpg

a20ocvZ.jpg

vlsBghO.jpg

Last edited:
This old Schrade is my knife of 2017. Not only a good find, but a good user as well. I bought it blind, it was in a "box of pocket knives" at an auction, and I was a thousand miles away from the sale. It was one of two push button knives in the box, and worth more than I paid for the lot. A little cleaning, some time with a stone, and it traveled to the mountains of New Mexico with me for a start. It's bigger than I usually carry, but the more I play with it the more I'm amazed at just how smart the design is. And, by extension, just how shortsighted lawmakers can be. There are times when being able to open a pocket knife without using both hands, without having to look down at it, and without fumbling around can be important. This 100 year old design allows all of that in a profile no different than most knives that don't. Beautiful.

VPyKAej.jpg
Exquisite knife. I had a small 2 blade with tortoise celluloid scales that was my grandfathers. It’s like why wouldn’t you put a button on a folder.

This is the year I got back into traditionals. It's only been a few months, but earlier this evening I was a bit shocked to count nine new knives. My wonderful wife has been quite understanding of this strange phenomenon, I must say. (Earlier this week I told her about seeing a beautiful Case muskrat that I decided -- reluctantly -- to pass on. She said, "You should have bought it." :cool:) So, I have many to choose from, but for my top knife of 2017 I will have to pick my Case 6344 medium stockman. It is a "small" medium, slim and light and easy to carry, the blades are easy to open, it takes a good edge, and typical of the pattern it has just the right blade for every occasion (especially with the pen replacing the spey). And it's my favorite color. :p

38138489306_770e481663_b.jpg

This is a tough one, but I picked a winner!
C30B0D12-EF62-4AA5-BE40-E62B18AFF1D2_zpsf1czvyou.jpg

This is a New York Knife Co advertising knife with aluminum slaps that serve as the liners and covers. Perfect sized at just under 3.5", and my favorite blade shapes too! I have a similar one (ok, maybe 4) made by Schrade that are advertising different companies but made using the same pattern.

24327545_158565454894659_3102792861209329664_n.jpg

The one on the left was my 4-year-old's "knife of the year." ;) I don't have pictures of my others boys' knives, but two of my four boys got their first pocket knives for their birthdays (though one was Dec. 2016). I'm handing down one of my knives to the second oldest boy for Christmas, since he missed out on his birthday for something he wanted more, but the 4-year-old will be getting yet another wooden knife (JJ's Knife Kit!) this year, since he hasn't shown he can follow the rules of using sharps just yet.

My knife of the year is on the right: Roland Lannier's debut knife after leaving Perceval to start his own company: the Why So Serious. I discovered Lannier from watching Stefan Schmalhaus's YouTube channel. I already received a Perceval L-08 in Gabon Ebony for Father's Day (thanks to my lovely wife!) in 2016, and I saved up to buy the Why So Serious back in January of this year. It is a bigger (longer) knife than I typically have carried, but I just love the lines and the tiny details that make it feel perfect in the hand and have the smoothest actions of any of my knives (it feels like it opens itself). It is made to be a folding steak/table knife so its a real slicer and that long slender blade makes for easy paring work in the kitchen.

It's pretty hard for me to pick just one knife to be " my knife of the year " But this one by John Lloyd,it'ds the small 3-3/4" version of Don Hanson's pattern just might be the one.

52100 carbon & Nguni ( a cattle from South Africa ) covers

The grind is amazing,the action is amazing ,the covers are just so fantastic and unique looking
It is just the right size for watch pocket carry,not too thick,not too thin.
It took me by surprise ,and that's saying a lot,not only can I be as picky ,but I see many per year.

lU66XyN.jpg

Lots of fine folks here, and I think I'd rather choose a person or the year than I would a knife, after all you can just walk into a store and buy a knife but great people are a different story.

That would be a different thread. The purpose of this thread is to choose A KNIFE, as explained in my opening post :thumbsup:

OK cogitation time over:D

This year I was lucky enough to come across a number of Black Box knives, the Swell Centre Pen shown, a Coffin Jack, Stockman, 2 Swell Centre split back Whittlers and very generous presents from Al and Bob - Teardrop and Sowbelly. I really like this series of knives: unusual patterns, really beautiful bone, reasonable prices and knives I can use.

BSBVZz9.jpg

But it's not enough is it for KOY? I mean, you find them great, they please you but it's what you expect as the consistency is high. What's needed for a KOY is an element of shock & surprise, something to make you think again. No? Right. This autumn GEC released a new interpretation of the 35 pattern which had been a Forum Knife 2016 and an SFO from the illustrious Campagna stable, naming it Churchill. At first I was completely unmoved, bored frankly. I thought the naming a bit kitsch even lame, a big EE knife did not arouse any interest in me. I barely looked at GEC's website coverage, stifling my yawns. My complacency and prejudice got undermined when I had a look at the Churchill thread, I began to wonder. A single-spring knife with Clip and Sheepfoot? That's a change, and one for the better. Then I saw the Cougar Claw Bone and lost my mind:D It reminded me of Queen's WCSB or Winterbottom Bone, Queen may get criticised at times for QC but in the past their bone has been of very high calibre indeed. And this Cougar looked the part. My dealer has good photos so I was able to select a nice deep grooved one, just like my little Tabby cat's favourite scratching tree all gouged:cool: It got better. The knife carries very nicely, not at all bulbous or heavy in the pocket, moderate pull with no tiresome half stops;) yet loud snap and brisk action. The two blades are so useful and both feel right when the other is closed. I was initially wrong about this knife, bigoted almost:eek: but I got stunned by it in exactly the right way, that's why it gets my KOY vote due to its surprise factor plus excellent gap and play free construction.

Churchill Cougar Clawed Bone shown with a GEC 56

o6D9Z6j.jpg

I don't think I've even looked in the Churchill thread yet! Perhaps I better hadn't! :eek: :D THey seem to be a popular choice here :thumbsup:

Is it OK to say that I can't narrow it down past two contenders? These two rank equally for me, and I will have to show both. First is the Guardian Lambsfoot:
7s7JL96.jpg

The second one is a NOS Puma stockman. I already have one that I bought in 1984, but it has significant sentimental value to me and I do not want to use it any more. I stumbled on this NOS and couldn't resist; buying it took me back to the excitement that I had for the original in 1984.
2Yh1IRY.jpg

No, sorry, same rule for everybody, ONE KNIFE ONLY PLEASE :thumbsup:

Uh-oh :oops: @lambertiana you're gonna get in trouble with Jack Black Jack Black for that :eek::D
You must choose 'The One Knife';)

Yep, that's the purpose of the thread :thumbsup: Come on guys, you're not being asked to choose which kid gets thrown out of the lifeboat! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

24327545_158565454894659_3102792861209329664_n.jpg

The one on the left was my 4-year-old's "knife of the year." ;) I don't have pictures of my others boys' knives, but two of my four boys got their first pocket knives for their birthdays (though one was Dec. 2016). I'm handing down one of my knives to the second oldest boy for Christmas, since he missed out on his birthday for something he wanted more, but the 4-year-old will be getting yet another wooden knife (JJ's Knife Kit!) this year, since he hasn't shown he can follow the rules of using sharps just yet.

My knife of the year is on the right: Roland Lannier's debut knife after leaving Perceval to start his own company: the Why So Serious. I discovered Lannier from watching Stefan Schmalhaus's YouTube channel. I already received a Perceval L-08 in Gabon Ebony for Father's Day (thanks to my lovely wife!) in 2016, and I saved up to buy the Why So Serious back in January of this year. It is a bigger (longer) knife than I typically have carried, but I just love the lines and the tiny details that make it feel perfect in the hand and have the smoothest actions of any of my knives (it feels like it opens itself). It is made to be a folding steak/table knife so its a real slicer and that long slender blade makes for easy paring work in the kitchen.

That's pretty special :) As is your son's Knife of the Year :) :thumbsup:

It's pretty hard for me to pick just one knife to be " my knife of the year " But this one by John Lloyd,it'ds the small 3-3/4" version of Don Hanson's pattern just might be the one.

52100 carbon & Nguni ( a cattle from South Africa ) covers

The grind is amazing,the action is amazing ,the covers are just so fantastic and unique looking
It is just the right size for watch pocket carry,not too thick,not too thin.
It took me by surprise ,and that's saying a lot,not only can I be as picky ,but I see many per year.

lU66XyN.jpg

That's pretty incredible Vince :) That it took you, who handles so many beautiful custom knives, and so much of John's work, was taken by surprise, says a great deal :thumbsup:

That would be a different thread. The purpose of this thread is to choose A KNIFE, as explained in my opening post :thumbsup:

I don't think I've even looked in the Churchill thread yet! Perhaps I better hadn't! :eek: :D THey seem to be a popular choice here :thumbsup:

No, sorry, same rule for everybody, ONE KNIFE ONLY PLEASE :thumbsup:

Yep, that's the purpose of the thread :thumbsup: Come on guys, you're not being asked to choose which kid gets thrown out of the lifeboat! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

That's pretty special :) As is your son's Knife of the Year :) :thumbsup:

That's pretty incredible Vince :) That it took you, who handles so many beautiful custom knives, and so much of John's work, was taken by surprise, says a great deal :thumbsup:

I tried my best to choose a knife :D
You know what, the Grohmann surprised me more than any other knife has, so I guess that's what I choose.

I tried my best to choose a knife :D
You know what, the Grohmann surprised me more than any other knife has, so I guess that's what I choose.

See, it wasn't THAT hard was it?! :D The Grohmann looks like a really interesting knife, I have only ever heard good things about them :thumbsup:

See, it wasn't THAT hard was it?! :D The Grohmann looks like a really interesting knife, I have only ever heard good things about them :thumbsup:

Well i chose it for now, but I've got a blade in the works that I've wanted for a long time so we'll see what happens :D

My Churchill #35 Gabon Ebony would have to be my all around Favorite for 2017 since it falls into my pocket more then any other with my sambar stag 35 a close second but the black beauty has stole my heart .
My new Tuna Valley Carpenters Whittler almost knocked both off there pedestal because of its beauty but sometimes that’s just not enough . I have to stay loyal to my Ebony #35 :)
JHe1bTM.jpg

a20ocvZ.jpg

vlsBghO.jpg

Nice cutlery, but...

Tell me about your chunk of wood there.
What is it?
Was going to ask what you’re going to make with it, but it looks to already be sanded and finished- live edge table top?

Back