Your Traditional Knife of 2017

IMG_2460.PNG I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to try out a lot of new patterns this year always thinking that "this" one has everything that I need. Only to find out that it really didn't check all the boxes. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that. When I was fortunate to win Randy's GA I chose the 35 Churchhill in stag thinking that this would make a great knife and I was not disappointed. But when I got the Ebony version everything just clicked. I love the blade selection and The dimensions of the overall knife. Very comfortable and very useful. For the time being and the foreseeable future I believe this one will be riding with me a great deal and I have to give it my "Knife of 2017 " award.......PS-but I do have an 85 on the way :)

My 2017 knife of the year has to be the TA Davison folder (Large Shadow Folder #1321) I purchased in March at a show. The runner up would be my jigged bone #48 Improved Trapper. I've passed on a lot of the GEC and Northwoods offerings since June. Would love to have a few of them, but I have enough for now.

Last edited:
This knife appeared on my desk in the spring, and sat there for a while, biding its time! Being a little less bulky than old Boiley, it nudged that good old Barlow out of my pocket most hot days, and still lingers on. Pretty insistent! It's gotta be my KotY for 2017!!
Pocket smooth, snappy and an edge-holder, it's a worthy old girl!!

KotY 2017.jpg

This knife appeared on my desk in the spring, and sat there for a while, biding its time! Being a little less bulky than old Boiley, it nudged that good old Barlow out of my pocket most hot days, and still lingers on. Pretty insistent! It's gotta be my KotY for 2017!!
Pocket smooth, snappy and an edge-holder, it's a worthy old girl!!

View attachment 810406

View attachment 810489 This peachseed 15 Tc Barlow would have to be my 2017 traditonal knife. I have really come to like the #15 barlows. Looking forward to next years offerings.

Nice choices fellers :thumbsup:

This was not like picking my favorite Child , but it was getting close to it .
I have accumulated more knives this year than I thought that I had . It is a good thing that SWMBO does not follow this forum . They came from Antique Malls , Flea Markets , Knife Shows , GEC Open House , and Very Good Friends . In 2017 we also saw the availability of more Lambfoot knives .
These are all GEC's . Most of them were bought new and some from another Legend , Half/Stop Half/Stop . I was also able to finally get a TC Barlow or two .

These , I picked up from other places .

These are some Lambfoot knives that include the Guardians , one from @mrknife , and Two Taylor Eye Witness .

These 2 beauties were Gifts from 2 other Legends : @paulhilborn and @Campbellclanman . Both of these knives just put me over the moon . I will not choose my favorite of them . I will just start carrying them together as a pair .

These are 2 Old Taylor Eye Witness knives . The 2 bladed one is a Sheepsfoot and the single bladed , and longer of the two , is a Lambfoot . The Sheepsfoot was found at the Badger Blade Show and the Lambfoot was from an on line dealer .

The knife of the year for 2017 for me is the one that has greatly reduced my carrying of my 73 Stag . I usually have my 2 old TEW's laying out side by side and the one I pick the most is the Old Sheepsfoot because it is a little thicker and it has a small pen blade . It is just a knife that you have to use to understand my pick . It may not be the prettiest one , but it is made as well as ANY OF THEM and it is the most useful .

Harry

I have accumulated more knives this year than I thought that I had . It is a good thing that SWMBO does not follow this forum . They came from Antique Malls , Flea Markets , Knife Shows , GEC Open House , and Very Good Friends . In 2017 we also saw the availability of more Lambfoot knives .
These are all GEC's . Most of them were bought new and some from another Legend , Half/Stop Half/Stop . I was also able to finally get a TC Barlow or two .

These are some Lambfoot knives that include the Guardians , one from @mrknife , and Two Taylor Eye Witness .

These 2 beauties were Gifts from 2 other Legends : @paulhilborn and @Campbellclanman . Both of these knives just put me over the moon . I will not choose my favorite of them . I will just start carrying them together as a pair .

These are 2 Old Taylor Eye Witness knives . The 2 bladed one is a Sheepsfoot and the single bladed , and longer of the two , is a Lambfoot . The Sheepsfoot was found at the Badger Blade Show and the Lambfoot was from an on line dealer .

The knife of the year for 2017 for me is the one that has greatly reduced my carrying of my 73 Stag . I usually have my 2 old TEW's laying out side by side and the one I pick the most is the Old Sheepsfoot because it is a little thicker and it has a small pen blade . It is just a knife that you have to use to understand my pick . It may not be the prettiest one , but it is made as well as ANY OF THEM and it is the most useful .

Harry
Looks like 2017 was a great year for knife collecting for you Harry! That would have been a tough choice indeed. A lot of beauties you have there sir!

Harry

LOL! :D :D :thumbsup: Hey, how many kids have you got Harry?! :eek: :confused: ;) :D :thumbsup: Wow! What a great haul! I didn't realise you'd been THAT busy my friend! :eek: That TEW is a really beautiful knife though, and a fantastic find, I can see why you picked it :) Great post :thumbsup:

This knife really showed me how smooth a slipjoint can be. It also ticked a lot of my personal boxes in what I look for, including grainy micarta, sheepsfoot blade, and a great pocketable size. My first barlow, my first TC, and my first Bladeforums knife. This is my clear knife of the year.

GGZq9GA.jpg

Last edited:
The knife of 2017 that has been a huge surprise to me and an absolute instant favorite is the tried and true Case Sway Back Jack. I received this several weeks ago as a gift from one of the most upstanding/generous members on the porch Ron, Half/Stop Half/Stop . Great size, fully capable of meeting almost any daily need I can think of and beautiful fit and finish to boot. The discontinued Sway Back Jack CV in Chestnut jigged bone has really impressed me and although I may carry a second knife, this SBJ hasn't left my pocket since it arrived. It is certainly my knife of 2017!

Thank you again Half/Stop Half/Stop for your awesome gift!

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 8.09.36 PM.png

The knife of 2017 that has been a huge surprise to me and an absolute instant favorite is the tried and true Case Sway Back Jack. I received this several weeks ago as a gift from one of the most upstanding/generous members on the porch Ron, Half/Stop Half/Stop . Great size, fully capable of meeting almost any daily need I can think of and beautiful fit and finish to boot. The discontinued Sway Back Jack CV in Chestnut jigged bone has really impressed me and although I may carry a second knife, this SBJ hasn't left my pocket since it arrived. It is certainly my knife of 2017!

Thank you again Half/Stop Half/Stop for your awesome gift!

View attachment 811569
Thank you for the kind words Jake! I’m happy that you’re enjoying the SBJ and honored to have been able to give a gift that you deem worthy of your Knife of The Year!

Jack Black Jack Black When you posted this thread, I hadn’t considered a knife for this year. I was pleasantly surprised at how much thought “I had” to put into which knife would win my title.

I had to think about this and wait to use a Delta Jack. I chose this one for several reasons and it is my knife of 2017.

D18DE154-5606-43A5-8754-062F18E5DFCD.jpeg

I always enjoy this thread, seeing the choices and reading the "why" of a particular choice, thanks Jack Black for starting the 2017 edition. Now Jack, in your guidance in the starting post you stated; "Perhaps it was an inexpensive knife, which you picked up somewhere, slipped in your pocket, and then found you couldn’t stop carrying it". Just like in the old Outdoor Life magazine stories from the 1960's (This Happened to Me!) I experienced this in 2017. Had to fly out to Fort Worth in March for a week long meeting being held in the Stockyards area of town; I forgot to pack a pocketknife in my check-in bag. I wasn't happy when I realized I would be without a pocketknife for a week, but as luck would have it I discovered a pawn shop one block from the hotel while out taking my early walk the first morning - I went back there to see what they might have during my lunch break. Discovered this old HSB Junior Cattle Knife and bought it for $20 - snappy, no wobble, blades intact - very nice find and it became my favorite for months, it still gets plenty of pocket time (but in truth hasn't pushed the Case 6318 entirely out of first place). OH

HSB_9729_mark_.JPG

I always enjoy this thread, seeing the choices and reading the "why" of a particular choice, thanks Jack Black for starting the 2017 edition. Now Jack, in your guidance in the starting post you stated; "Perhaps it was an inexpensive knife, which you picked up somewhere, slipped in your pocket, and then found you couldn’t stop carrying it". Just like in the old Outdoor Life magazine stories from the 1960's (This Happened to Me!) I experienced this in 2017. Had to fly out to Fort Worth in March for a week long meeting being held in the Stockyards area of town; I forgot to pack a pocketknife in my check-in bag. I wasn't happy when I realized I would be without a pocketknife for a week, but as luck would have it I discovered a pawn shop one block from the hotel while out taking my early walk the first morning - I went back there to see what they might have during my lunch break. Discovered this old HSB Junior Cattle Knife and bought it for $20 - snappy, no wobble, blades intact - very nice find and it became my favorite for months, it still gets plenty of pocket time (but in truth hasn't pushed the Case 6318 entirely out of first place). OH

HSB_9729_mark_.JPG

Nice story my friend :) This Aitor Castor Pequena was my Knife of the Year a few years back, it took me a long time to kick it out of my pocket :) :thumbsup:

In 2017, if you’re lucky, you may have bought, found, or been given, an EXCEPTIONAL knife. Maybe it was a knife you didn’t think was going to be that special, but it has absolutely CHARMED you. Perhaps it was an inexpensive knife, which you picked up somewhere, slipped in your pocket, and then found you couldn’t stop carrying it. It must be a knife you have gotten since the start of the year. If you’ve come across a knife like that, perhaps you’d like to nominate it as YOUR knife of the year.

I bought a half dozen or so knives this year. Not a dog in the bunch and I love carrying all of them. But there is one that stands out, and in particular, it meets the bolded description above. I bought a Buck Creek 3 3/4" half Congress, more out of curiosity than because I thought it was going to be a great knife. But for me, it is a great knife. Love the pattern. Very nice fit and finish. Very comfortable in the hand. I've carried it a lot since I bought it.

For me, this is the knife of 2017:
Jt1VhtR.jpg

As much as I like the 2017 Forum knife the knife that spends the most time in my pocket is a Schatt and Morgan gunstock pattern that I picked up off of the secondary market. I can't be sure of the blade steel, the fit and finish is not quite up to GEC standards but with all that said it consistently makes it into my pocket.

For me the 2017 knife of the year is this one.
PXNjteL.jpg

Looks likes banner year Harry! The bone on the TEWs is just fantastic ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harry

Back