Your Traditional Knife of 2019

I have one more knife coming in a few days so I can’t finalize my decision. Let’s not forget the upcoming 2019 Blade Forums knife. ;)

Good point!

Every year someone posts that they have a knife due for Christmas, and that might be their knife of the year. However, there is just over a fortnight to go now until the end of the year, and I can't really see how a knife received within that time would qualify under the terms of my original post. How do you really get to appreciate a knife, decide that it stands out above all the other knives you've picked up this year, in two weeks? If you've reached mid December without finding a knife that you've gotten to love, and that has hogged your pocket like no other, you perhaps don't have a knife worth nominating at all? It's time to choose pilgrims, pick up the gun! :rolleyes:

2019 was a great year in knives! So many great knives that were made this year! GEC's had so many great patterns the #82s, #92's, #93s or the 77 Northfield Barlow's!

But....

T'was the year of the Lambsfoot! Wether it was Charlies first American made Lambsfoot or one of Jack's SFOs.
BHdDBY9.jpg

G25PBzv.jpg

RtOW26P.jpg

MVIMG_20191216_113949.jpg

Last edited:
I actually ordered and paid for this knife in 2018, but, due to delays that were pretty well documented here, I didn't receive it until 2019. At any rate, a Canal Street Co-op Boy's Knife in stag. My initial impression wasn't 100% positive, but I really came to love this one. Easily pinchable, fantastic snap, 154CM, and great stag. I carried it a ton this year and the awesome texture of the handles makes it a great worry stone. Very good fit and finish. I hope the Canal Street guys offer up some new knives in 2020!

canal.jpg

Every year someone posts that they have a knife due for Christmas, and that might be their knife of the year. However, there is just over a fortnight to go now until the end of the year, and I can't really see how a knife received within that time would qualify under the terms of my original post. How do you really get to appreciate a knife, decide that it stands out above all the other knives you've picked up this year, in two weeks? If you've reached mid December without finding a knife that you've gotten to love, and that has hogged your pocket like no other, you perhaps don't have a knife worth nominating at all? It's time to choose pilgrims,

Ok, ok. I already made my choice and I promise I won't change my mind. This knife collecting is tough work - as soon as I get a knife in the mail I start pining for the next oneo_O

Well..... I have acquired several fine knives this year,including these
56iUvLe.jpg

And while to me they're stunning knives I honestly don't carry them as much as I should. To danged purdy for my every day use.
And there isn't anything that I don't like about this one, love the size,shape,blade,covers, and that neat shield! This one is the runner up
KZJk6zL.jpg

But most of you have probably seen posts I've made recently about my knife of the year. How I'm actually quite shocked at how invaluable it has become to my every day use. Its so plain,utilitarian,and frankly such an odd duck. Of course its that weird little orange Calfpen
qulNF09.jpg

Build a fire? It handles that
Doctor a horse? It did that to
NOYm9jI.jpg

Working knife? Of course!
KzO9bCe.jpg

Such a odd unexpected knife,probably GEC's most underrated pattern imho.:cool::thumbsup:

Sorry for the pic overload:rolleyes:

56iUvLe.jpg

And while to me they're stunning knives I honestly don't carry them as much as I should. To danged purdy for my every day use.
And there isn't anything that I don't like about this one, love the size,shape,blade,covers, and that neat shield! This one is the runner up
KZJk6zL.jpg

But most of you have probably seen posts I've made recently about my knife of the year. How I'm actually quite shocked at how invaluable it has become to my every day use. Its so plain,utilitarian,and frankly such an odd duck. Of course its that weird little orange Calfpen
qulNF09.jpg

NOYm9jI.jpg

KzO9bCe.jpg

Such a odd unexpected knife,probably GEC's most underrated pattern imho.:cool::thumbsup:

The calf pen was a close second for me. Handy little knife for sure.

Hey Christian, I'm so glad you were able to pick up a Castor :cool: I haven't carried mine in ages, but I must give it some pocket time soon. I think it may have been the original inspiration for this thread :)

You should carry the Pequeña Jack. It can supplement whatever lambfoot you might be carrying for the day. That's what those extra pockets in the winter jackets we wear are for!

Every year someone posts that they have a knife due for Christmas, and that might be their knife of the year. However, there is just over a fortnight to go now until the end of the year, and I can't really see how a knife received within that time would qualify under the terms of my original post. How do you really get to appreciate a knife, decide that it stands out above all the other knives you've picked up this year, in two weeks? If you've reached mid December without finding a knife that you've gotten to love, and that has hogged your pocket like no other, you perhaps don't have a knife worth nominating at all? It's time to choose pilgrims, pick up the gun! :rolleyes:

Thanks for mentioning this Jack. I had qualms about mentioning the Castor since I technically picked it up last year. I got it in mid-December though, and as you noted two weeks isn't nearly long enough to evaluate a knife. So I included it this year. ;)

I understand your point, Jack, but I believe that only knives obtained during the year, from January 1 through December 31 (except for your modified rule this year) are eligible for "Knife of the Year." Under your modified rule, knives received from December 25-31 of 2018 are eligible this year, and by extension, knives received the last week of this year will be eligible for next year. But you suggest that a knife received December 17 should not be considered this year, even though it would be ineligible for next year. What if I receive, unlikely as it may be, one of Jim Bowie's knives, miraculously preserved, on December 23? THAT would definitely be my "Knife of the Year"! Oh, I know that's an extreme example, but I would like to consider ALL knives obtained in a year, both those that were received in the last hour, as well as those that "have borne the burden and heat of the day." I hope that is okay.

I found a '78 mini-T on eBay that needed work and was advertised with lousey pics ... so I took a chance & was lucky to get it for <$20. When I received it, the bone sides & bolsters were quite nice, just needed a good cleaning; but the clip blade was in bad shape - a couple hours of going through all the grits and after seemingly sanding off a couple finger prints made the clip like new. I didn't have it in the old fingers to give the secondary the same treatment, so I just cleaned that one up. Knife has such nice firm/crisp half stops, great walk and talk with zero wobble, bone sides have impressive fit and finish, it's been a regular EDC since I brought it back this summer. Considering the quality of this one and a couple '70's 47's that I've picked up this year ... I think there actually might be something to the lore of the '70's Case's - they are special. I compared it to a modern 07 & it's actually noticeably thinner - bolsters are far more contoured (hafting is quite a bit more refined). Here's the before & after ...

qKUtpsu.jpg

F2tsj1S.jpg

This one is exceptional (I have to admit the whole "bringing it back" thing adds to my fondness of it)

Last edited:
2019 was a great year in knives! So many great knives that were made this year! GEC's had so many great patterns the #82s, #92's, #93s or the 77 Northfield Barlow's!

But....

T'was the year of the Lambsfoot! Wether it was Charlies first American made Lambsfoot or one of Jack's SFOs.
BHdDBY9.jpg

G25PBzv.jpg

RtOW26P.jpg

View attachment 1250445

If I'm picking on of those to call the knife of the year is the Hartshead Barlow. Closely followed by the Waynorth Lambsfoot!

Cheers to 2020!!!

Great to see the patina on those blades Taylor :) We have certainly had a wealth of Lambsfoot knives this year :) :thumbsup:

I actually ordered and paid for this knife in 2018, but, due to delays that were pretty well documented here, I didn't receive it until 2019. At any rate, a Canal Street Co-op Boy's Knife in stag. My initial impression wasn't 100% positive, but I really came to love this one. Easily pinchable, fantastic snap, 154CM, and great stag. I carried it a ton this year and the awesome texture of the handles makes it a great worry stone. Very good fit and finish. I hope the Canal Street guys offer up some new knives in 2020!

View attachment 1250462

Looks like a great knife :) :thumbsup:

56iUvLe.jpg

KZJk6zL.jpg

qulNF09.jpg

NOYm9jI.jpg

KzO9bCe.jpg

Fantastic post David, for me it really captures the spirit of what a personal Knife of the Year should be :thumbsup:

You should carry the Pequeña Jack. It can supplement whatever lambfoot you might be carrying for the day. That's what those extra pockets in the winter jackets we wear are for!

You're right Christian, I must dig it out, can't believe how long it is since I last carried it :thumbsup:

I understand your point, Jack, but I believe that only knives obtained during the year, from January 1 through December 31 (except for your modified rule this year) are eligible for "Knife of the Year." Under your modified rule, knives received from December 25-31 of 2018 are eligible this year, and by extension, knives received the last week of this year will be eligible for next year. But you suggest that a knife received December 17 should not be considered this year, even though it would be ineligible for next year. What if I receive, unlikely as it may be, one of Jim Bowie's knives, miraculously preserved, on December 23? THAT would definitely be my "Knife of the Year"! Oh, I know that's an extreme example, but I would like to consider ALL knives obtained in a year, both those that were received in the last hour, as well as those that "have borne the burden and heat of the day." I hope that is okay.

I'd imagine that if you were to receive one of Jim Bowie's knives, you'd be putting it in the safe rather than carrying it Vince ;) I've had some wonderful knives this year, including some great collector's knives, which have real historic interest, but I haven't carried them. Likewise, I've had a few customs, one of which I thought would be a great accompaniment to my Lambsfoot, but it turns out that I have barely carried it. I was wrong about that knife, and it was only time which gave me a proper perspective on it. I still think that if you acquire a knife a week before the end of the year, you will not have time to properly judge it, to see if it actually works for you, or not, to bond with it, learn its flaws and faults, and compare it to the other knives you've carried this year :thumbsup:

I found a '78 mini-T on eBay that needed work and was advertised with lousey pics ... so I took a chance & was lucky to get it for <$20. When I received it, the bone sides & bolsters were quite nice, just needed a good cleaning; but the clip blade was in bad shape - a couple hours of going through all the grits and after seemingly sanding off a couple finger prints made the clip like new. I didn't have it in the old fingers to give the secondary the same treatment, so I just cleaned that one up. Knife has such nice firm/crisp half stops, great walk and talk with zero wobble, bone sides have impressive fit and finish, it's been a regular EDC since I brought it back this summer. Considering the quality of this one and a couple '70's 47's that I've picked up this year ... I think there actually might be something to the lore of the '70's Case's - they are special. I compared it to a modern 07 & it's actually noticeably thinner - bolsters are far more contoured (hafting is quite a bit more refined). Here's the before & after ...

qKUtpsu.jpg

F2tsj1S.jpg

This one is exceptional (I have to admit the whole "bringing it back" thing adds to my fondness of it)

Nice work :) :thumbsup:

It has been a whirlwind of knives for me in 2019. I've bought, sold, traded, bought again. There are many knives that I carried a lot, but had to let go of for this or that reason. But there are two knives that I've stuck to, and I hope to keep indefinitely.

D33-D378-E-9-AA1-4-D92-9-EAD-F44-A3-FBDBC11-1-201-a.jpg

The K'roo was a bit of an impulse buy for me. I had seen plenty of Willem O'Kelly's chunky franks and they didn't appeal to me at all (too chunky!). However, when I saw him post this classic lambsfoot pattern I knew it would be the lambsfoot to top all lambsfoots for me: micarta handles, stainless blade, custom precision. It is a perfect little knife and satiates my lambfoot desire completely. I carry it often, and it is classy enough to carry on any occasion and sturdy enough to do whatever work needs to be done.

I initially passed on the Big Bays when they dropped, even though I took a look at them and had time during the mad rush that happens with every Northwoods drop. I had bought my budget and though they were pretty I didn't pull the trigger. But eventually this used one showed up on the exchange at a very reasonable price and I had money back in the budget. It was just great timing. I've carried it, sharpened it, reprofiled it, and just loved it for its attractive appearance, its outstanding action, and its extra-sweet sabre clip point.

Since I can only choose one, I'll pick the one that I think I've carried the most, and which has received the most personal touch from my handiwork:

98-BD312-C-65-B5-46-AF-A9-E0-CC8-A016-C8-ADE-1-201-a.jpg

Happy 2020 Porch folks!

It might have been the American Jack I got from waverave through 5K Qs. It might have been the Russlock in Mom's green. It might have been the Parapluie Le Thiers. But that Crosman locking stockman has possessed my pocket since it arrived. I found it by accident when I was plying the bay for one of those sliding-lock Camillus stockmans, now hundreds of dollars, and I used to think 40 was too much.
6t9YlJd.jpg

This year has had a few bumps in the road but overall has been a spectacular success personally. The only knives I can consider are those that I've kept. There are a few that will end up as someone else's knife of the year, and that's a good thing.
There are three grails that I've been chasing for a very long time that I managed to acquire this year. The first being the coin knife by J.D. Ware. An absolutely personal favorite of mine. It's really my jewelry piece. The second is the amber stag rounder by Jerry Halfrich. The photos speak for themselves. Third is a copper (beryllium) blade Schrade wire jack for my collection.
The coin gets carried and used sparingly. The rounder gets carried rarely and the wire jack is just for looking.
The fourth and final nominee and my choice for KOTY 2019 is one of several that I own but this one I picked up as part of a lot purchase this year. It's carried almost daily as the beater, do it all, indestructible, disappears in the pocket, laser cutter. The indomitable Douk-Douk.IMG_9438-1024x1014.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8485-1024x787.JPG
    IMG_8485-1024x787.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0557-01-918x689.jpeg
    IMG_0557-01-918x689.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1116-1024x921.JPG
    IMG_1116-1024x921.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 13
Probably a bit of a homer choice from me but without question it's the #92 NF Eureka Jack that I converted to a bare end and recovered in exotic Mexican bocote. It was a tough call between this and my #35 Waynorth SFO Harness Jack. But the fact that this one came together perfectly for me and is unique helped it win the year.
20191217_080706.jpg

It was a good year for knives!
I'm enjoying everyone's posts. Some real beauties :):thumbsup:
The lambsfoots are well represented. Very interesting... Some beautiful covers on them.

I acquired many blades this year; I also sold a few. I'd say this year found me experimenting with many different patterns and features. From Spain to Montana, I tried knives from all over.

Taking the Bronze medal this year is a neat little fixed blade from custom BF maker @lessismore , aka Redmeadow Knives. The Serrano found its way to 8 lucky knife knuts. I like the blade profile and sheath. John is as skilled in leatherwork as he is with steel.

Serrano Day! by D P, on Flickr
Serrano Sheath by D P, on Flickr

Taking the Silver is a lockback sodbuster.
The A.G. Russell Rancher in white bone.
I like the ergonomics, size and action. This is one that surprised me; it's one that is true to the spirit of this thread, where actually carrying it led to a wonderful discovery. I can absolutely recommend one.

AG Rancher by D P, on Flickr
(It comes with a pocket clip that I removed, drilling out the screw and threading a lanyard in it's place).

The Gold for 2019 goes to this:
The A.G. Russell 4" Sunfish Lockback

AG Sunfish by D P, on Flickr
AG Russell Sunfish by D P, on Flickr

What a knife!
It's built like a tank, an absolute beast of a piece. What makes it my gold selection is the sheer beauty, uniqueness, action and ergonomics. A.G. Russell is hitting it out of the park lately.
Oh yeah, and it's a lockback-- my newfound love after a very busy year of experimenting.

As far as EDC goes, I have carried a Case XX era 6235 1/2 for years and am not likely to change anytime soon. As far as adding to my collection, the two below are pretty much a tossup for my traditional purchase of 2019: a Keen Kutter English jack, picked up at the OKCA show, and a Simmons Hardware Germany gents knife, purchased from Charlie (Waynorth).

RIMG1764.JPG RIMG1886.JPG

Back