Your Traditional Knife of 2019

It's time to choose pilgrims, pick up the gun!
Lol... :D:thumbsup:

I picked up quite a few nice traditionals this year, but if I could only keep one, it'd be this large Texas Jack that I picked up from the classifieds here. It's quickly become a favourite.
DSC00274-X2.jpg
That really is a beauty!

F2tsj1S.jpg

This one is exceptional (I have to admit the whole "bringing it back" thing adds to my fondness of it)
What a great Case knife. You have a keeper right there. :cool::thumbsup:

This year has had a few bumps in the road but overall has been a spectacular success personally. The only knives I can consider are those that I've kept. There are a few that will end up as someone else's knife of the year, and that's a good thing.
There are three grails that I've been chasing for a very long time that I managed to acquire this year. The first being the coin knife by J.D. Ware. An absolutely personal favorite of mine. It's really my jewelry piece. The second is the amber stag rounder by Jerry Halfrich. The photos speak for themselves. Third is a copper (beryllium) blade Schrade wire jack for my collection.
The coin gets carried and used sparingly. The rounder gets carried rarely and the wire jack is just for looking.
The fourth and final nominee and my choice for KOTY 2019 is one of several that I own but this one I picked up as part of a lot purchase this year. It's carried almost daily as the beater, do it all, indestructible, disappears in the pocket, laser cutter. The indomitable Douk-Douk.View attachment 1250712
Great choice. I should start carrying mine more often.

It was a good year for knives!
I'm enjoying everyone's posts. Some real beauties :):thumbsup:
The lambsfoots are well represented. Very interesting... Some beautiful covers on them.

I acquired many blades this year; I also sold a few. I'd say this year found me experimenting with many different patterns and features. From Spain to Montana, I tried knives from all over.

Taking the Bronze medal this year is a neat little fixed blade from custom BF maker @lessismore , aka Redmeadow Knives. The Serrano found its way to 8 lucky knife knuts. I like the blade profile and sheath. John is as skilled in leatherwork as he is with steel.

Serrano Day! by D P, on Flickr
Serrano Sheath by D P, on Flickr

Taking the Silver is a lockback sodbuster.
The A.G. Russell Rancher in white bone.
I like the ergonomics, size and action. This is one that surprised me; it's one that is true to the spirit of this thread, where actually carrying it led to a wonderful discovery. I can absolutely recommend one.

AG Rancher by D P, on Flickr
(It comes with a pocket clip that I removed, drilling out the screw and threading a lanyard in it's place).

The Gold for 2019 goes to this:
The A.G. Russell 4" Sunfish Lockback

AG Sunfish by D P, on Flickr
AG Russell Sunfish by D P, on Flickr

What a knife!
It's built like a tank, an absolute beast of a piece. What makes it my gold selection is the sheer beauty, uniqueness, action and ergonomics. A.G. Russell is hitting it out of the park lately.
Oh yeah, and it's a lockback-- my newfound love after a very busy year of experimenting.
Gorgeous knife! I love lockbacks. :thumbsup:

This year has had a few bumps in the road but overall has been a spectacular success personally. The only knives I can consider are those that I've kept. There are a few that will end up as someone else's knife of the year, and that's a good thing.
There are three grails that I've been chasing for a very long time that I managed to acquire this year. The first being the coin knife by J.D. Ware. An absolutely personal favorite of mine. It's really my jewelry piece. The second is the amber stag rounder by Jerry Halfrich. The photos speak for themselves. Third is a copper (beryllium) blade Schrade wire jack for my collection.
The coin gets carried and used sparingly. The rounder gets carried rarely and the wire jack is just for looking.
The fourth and final nominee and my choice for KOTY 2019 is one of several that I own but this one I picked up as part of a lot purchase this year. It's carried almost daily as the beater, do it all, indestructible, disappears in the pocket, laser cutter. The indomitable Douk-Douk.View attachment 1250712

Great choice Alan :thumbsup:

I see that I need to pay more attention to the SFO's Waynorth has been offering. I'm missing stuff entirely. But on the other hand, I don't need another slip joint and have slowed the buying down in 2019. There is an ebb and flow to this and I often just buy other knives. This year has been the year of the fixed blade and I have been using them much more. Been super pleased with the Condor Compact Kephart (in 1095) which is really traditional. It was not a costly knife.

Built by the stalwart and loyal Bill at GEC, during a pretty low point in my life in a hospital, this knife was the culmination of a dream of great cutleryness!!! Inspired by an old JR knife and the dedication to the pattern of the Chief Guardian (we all know who he is!!), I cannot but cherish this knife, and use it constantly!!
Certainly my knife of the year 2019!!:D
Lamb Patina aug 23.jpg

It’s a funny thing. You don’t always bond with a knife until later. For pure carry time, my 14 burlap is hands down the winner. I wouldn’t have picked it last year though, and this year it doesn’t “qualify.” But I sure have bonded with it.
BTg3WuBl.jpg

My Waynorths are by far some of my favorites. But they almost felt too nice to carry, so sadly I can’t say they took top place for actual pocket time.

That really only leaves one for me. Many other beauties found their way into my possession, but this 2019 acquisition from Mr. Toole got the most carry. I was and still am drawn to the wood grain and smooth lines. And as much as I prefer carbon steel, I have to say it’s nice to have a stainless option on rainy days.

bhaOU7Tl.jpg

Built by the stalwart and loyal Bill at GEC, during a pretty low point in my life in a hospital, this knife was the culmination of a dream of great cutleryness!!! Inspired by an old JR knife and the dedication to the pattern of the Chief Guardian (we all know who he is!!), I cannot but cherish this knife, and use it constantly!!
Certainly my knife of the year 2019!!:D
View attachment 1250765

Fantastic Charlie, what a year it has been for you my friend. Just 'ups' in 2020 please! ;) Well done :) :thumbsup:

That's a beauty Mark :thumbsup:

It’s a funny thing. You don’t always bond with a knife until later. For pure carry time, my 14 burlap is hands down the winner. I wouldn’t have picked it last year though, and this year it doesn’t “qualify.” But I sure have bonded with it.
BTg3WuBl.jpg
I have been very impressed with the practicality of the #14's. I think I have three which is unusual for me. I got a two blade (with clip) earlier this year and like it. Been carrying smaller knives but I still love a #42.

I really love my 2018 bladeforum stockman in elk. No issues at all except for a misaligned main blade pull. (the cutout is not parallel to the spine, it's definitely 'off')
But it's grown on me and find's a lot of pocket time.

However, that waynorth lambsfoot in ebony looks fantastic, I wish I could find one. I never even knew about them until now. Seems it was a very small run and they're all gone? :(

55e2F0Dcs8iF.jpg

BTg3WuBl.jpg

My Waynorths are by far some of my favorites. But they almost felt too nice to carry, so sadly I can’t say they took top place for actual pocket time.

That really only leaves one for me. Many other beauties found their way into my possession, but this 2019 acquisition from Mr. Toole got the most carry. I was and still am drawn to the wood grain and smooth lines. And as much as I prefer carbon steel, I have to say it’s nice to have a stainless option on rainy days.

bhaOU7Tl.jpg
That "Toole" is stunning :thumbsup:

Jack, I've been looking forward to this thread, it always ends up being somewhat thought provoking to me.

This year saw me buy a great many knives and since I am still in the habit of acquiring far more than I manage to sell or give away, I've had quite a selection to ponder.

I've had several knives this year that impacted me and so, borrowing from the format I've used in the past years, I will mention my runner-ups and honorable mentions. Bearing in mind, of course, that there can only be one (queue Highlander...).

This was a terrific year for Jack as he was able to (through no small amount of consternation and effort) bring us Guardians a stellar selection of very fine cutlery. Each one of them is a fantastic gem and I cherish them greatly, they will never leave my collection (although I did gift one of the Ironwoods to my son).

As fine as they are though, it was very difficult to knock my AC Lambsfoot from its lofty perch, as it was my 2018 Knife of the Year. That said, any one of these would serve as a suitable runner-up.

KLDu398.jpg

Aside from a good Lambsfoot, there isn't much that pleases me more than a swell end 2-bladed Jack. I was able to acquire a couple of extraordinary examples. One of them was a kind gift from Charlie himself and the 86 is an exceptional SFO from Barry. The Shapleigh itself warms the heart and I find it to be a very special knife.

NqpE7mL.jpg

The biggest surprise for me in terms of a knife that I didn't think I would take to but ended up falling for is the GEC #29. I didn't secure any reserves on the pattern and only happened to scoop one up when I saw some Stag that caught my eye. I was supremely surprised at how well I took to the pattern, being not only quite comfortable but also incredibly versatile. I bought it to keep in the case mostly but it has gotten a fair amount of pocket time. It serves as my final runner-up.

7CpNv3l.jpg

An honorable mention goes out to this Anniversary Edition GEC #15 in Red Soup Bone. It is a knife that I've admired from afar for quite some time and was finally able to take advantage of good timing and opportunity with the help of a good friend (Thanks again, Duncan!).

xOk9xmQ.jpg

Well, as it is said - "There can only be one!". I didn't have to think long and hard about my choice in this regard as it pertains to the one knife that has likely been in my pocket the most. It is with me when I am at my desk, it is my go to when leaving home, and it proves to suit my needs in such a superb fashion day after day.

From the first moment that I heard that Charlie was finally able to see a vision come true, I knew that it was going to be a very special knife. As soon as it arrived (with it's Ebony clad brother soon after), I knew that I would be hard pressed to find a better knife. Charlie's Waynorth Lambfoot knives are the epitome of cutlery perfection. Not only did Charlie provide an impeccable design for GEC to follow but GEC's execution of all of the details - from the graceful sway, the long nimble blade, the superb classic touches like the stamps, etches, and bolsters, and the perfect action - it is an absolutely superb example of traditional cutlery.

I had a difficult time choosing between the Ebony and the Jigged Bone at first when choosing one to carry/use regularly but I eventually settled on the Bone version. It quickly became a fast favorite and continues to age rather gracefully as the steel bolsters dull and the blade darkens. A quick strop here and there keeps the edge keen and I suspect that the bone is starting to smooth a bit more with carry. I am intrigued with the idea of how it will look years from now.

This is the third year running where a Lambsfoot knife has been my knife of the year. It makes me curious what next year might bring...

uRz9ZgS.jpg

LPWJjdF.jpg

gw6aQPd.jpg

1EVTKtb.jpg

c7F5Oqx.jpg

I've been waiting for this yearly thread of yours to appear, Jack! It's always good to reflect and realize that there may or may not be a knife that one has taken a shine to.

I've bought several knives this year: Five 2019 Case Barlows, several stockman patterns and other ones. The Barlows and stockman knives are both patterns I collect, but I've tried out a few patterns also.

One which I've looked at and considered over the years but never actually bought is the Case Texas Jack. This year in October I finally bought one (I already had about 100 Case knives but never one of these). It's Ok I thought, nothing special, I'll carry it once in awhile. But, over time I started having it with me when I walked, in my pocket around the house, on my nightstand at night. Yes, it has become my favorite knife. It doesn't appear in my posts often, but it's with me more often than not.

So, my 2019 Knife is Case's Texas Jack, specifically this one.

IMG_5015.JPG

While the #29 came out later in the year; it ended up surprising me a lot. Enough to have more than one, and get a lot of pocket time. I really like the size & versatility. I have become quite fond of having an awl/punch which can be used for many things. Honorable mention would go to of course the Real Lambfoot Waynorth SFO. A totally useful blade shape.
2019 Knife of the year - #29

JxjgksH.jpg

YSanB3f.jpg

Jack, I've been looking forward to this thread, it always ends up being somewhat thought provoking to me.

This year saw me buy a great many knives and since I am still in the habit of acquiring far more than I manage to sell or give away, I've had quite a selection to ponder.

I've had several knives this year that impacted me and so, borrowing from the format I've used in the past years, I will mention my runner-ups and honorable mentions. Bearing in mind, of course, that there can only be one (queue Highlander...).

This was a terrific year for Jack as he was able to (through no small amount of consternation and effort) bring us Guardians a stellar selection of very fine cutlery. Each one of them is a fantastic gem and I cherish them greatly, they will never leave my collection (although I did gift one of the Ironwoods to my son).

As fine as they are though, it was very difficult to knock my AC Lambsfoot from its lofty perch, as it was my 2018 Knife of the Year. That said, any one of these would serve as a suitable runner-up.

KLDu398.jpg

Aside from a good Lambsfoot, there isn't much that pleases me more than a swell end 2-bladed Jack. I was able to acquire a couple of extraordinary examples. One of them was a kind gift from Charlie himself and the 86 is an exceptional SFO from Barry. The Shapleigh itself warms the heart and I find it to be a very special knife.

NqpE7mL.jpg

The biggest surprise for me in terms of a knife that I didn't think I would take to but ended up falling for is the GEC #29. I didn't secure any reserves on the pattern and only happened to scoop one up when I saw some Stag that caught my eye. I was supremely surprised at how well I took to the pattern, being not only quite comfortable but also incredibly versatile. I bought it to keep in the case mostly but it has gotten a fair amount of pocket time. It serves as my final runner-up.

7CpNv3l.jpg

An honorable mention goes out to this Anniversary Edition GEC #15 in Red Soup Bone. It is a knife that I've admired from afar for quite some time and was finally able to take advantage of good timing and opportunity with the help of a good friend (Thanks again, Duncan!).

xOk9xmQ.jpg

Well, as it is said - "There can only be one!". I didn't have to think long and hard about my choice in this regard as it pertains to the one knife that has likely been in my pocket the most. It is with me when I am at my desk, it is my go to when leaving home, and it proves to suit my needs in such a superb fashion day after day.

From the first moment that I heard that Charlie was finally able to see a vision come true, I knew that it was going to be a very special knife. As soon as it arrived (with it's Ebony clad brother soon after), I knew that I would be hard pressed to find a better knife. Charlie's Waynorth Lambfoot knives are the epitome of cutlery perfection. Not only did Charlie provide an impeccable design for GEC to follow but GEC's execution of all of the details - from the graceful sway, the long nimble blade, the superb classic touches like the stamps, etches, and bolsters, and the perfect action - it is an absolutely superb example of traditional cutlery.

I had a difficult time choosing between the Ebony and the Jigged Bone at first when choosing one to carry/use regularly but I eventually settled on the Bone version. It quickly became a fast favorite and continues to age rather gracefully as the steel bolsters dull and the blade darkens. A quick strop here and there keeps the edge keen and I suspect that the bone is starting to smooth a bit more with carry. I am intrigued with the idea of how it will look years from now.

This is the third year running where a Lambsfoot knife has been my knife of the year. It makes me curious what next year might bring...

uRz9ZgS.jpg

LPWJjdF.jpg

gw6aQPd.jpg

1EVTKtb.jpg

c7F5Oqx.jpg
Excellent post, Dylan. And great choice. :thumbsup:

Back