Your Traditional knife turn-off's

Blade cant, blade rub, blades that have been cleaned with a Dremel

I agree to a point, I think with traditional knives, at least I do, give a little more leeway as far as F&F comes. The more blades the more leeway, at least with production knives. This is why I like older traditional knives. I seem to find better versions of older patterns made in better quality which still have years of usability in them. The order knives when you buy a premium knife, using premium material and manufacturing processes were far superior to many of today's handmade versions.

An old Robeson Stockman from the 40s with that jigged red bone they covered their knives with was gorgeous. Even at a premium price for a vintage knife today you'll still make out better than if you bought a modern knife of equal quality.

KLC08677.jpg

A lot of what I hear in this thread are fit and finish issues, poorly ground kicks bring nail nicks below the liners and scales, it hides behind another blade but all just poor QC on the factory's fault. My post is most older knives if they were properly taken care of and used not abused will have none of the fit and finish issues.

I'm also not super huge on really shiny blades,

Some blades, especially high carbon steel steel blades tend to repelling rust better with a polished blade so a lot of times the shiny blades are a result of achieving the best low maintenance finish. Check out some of the old blade from the 20s-40s with a crocus finish, it was a non reflective finish but required regular care.

I seem to always defer back to older knives mostly because that's what I collected back in the day but some of the knives where extra monies were spent came with engine turned liners, file worked back springs and inlaid scales with polished filed NS bolsters. These were options on a knife and most didn't want them because they could triple even quadruple the price of a pocket knife. Keep in mind everyone carried a pocket knife back when these old traditional s were made.

Billboards on blades.

Shiny mirror finish blades

When it comes to billboards, my take is if you wanna advertise your brand name on my knife than sell it to me cheaper. I don't need for you to write the pattern on the side of the blade for me but I do like a nice etch job and people have entire collections based on advertising knives. I guess an argument could be made that a modern knife like a Bear Gryllis (sp?) Buffalo Slayer Trapper could be an advertising knife for Bear.

I have an old nickle silver twist ring Schrade Walden with the letters Wurlitzer embossed/stamped into the side, it's a beautiful piece, well designed well made.

iUmvZ5i.jpg

Shields on stag handles.

On the deep craggy stag I agree but the smaller and smoother, bordering on smooth bone lookin' stag I like some of the older traditional bomb and chevron shields or the arrows like Northwoods uses. It's dependent on the texture of the stag IMHO

xNoXvJd.jpg

I really don’t like “ California Clip” blades. I won’t own a knife with one

Lust curious, why the dislike for the California/Turkish clip. Schrade's 81OT is a great example of that blade and when it comes to small game it's a great blade shape, very handy for processing small animals.

1488328709_51_82_1.jpg

I guess it's not so much options I don't like as much as it is common sense manufacturing processes I've come to expect. Sunken joints so there's no exposed tang when the blade is closed. Easily accessible nail nicks placed in a common sense position, no gaps, evenly ground blades that come sharp outta the box. These are things I've come to expect from a quality knife old or new but with so many patterns and so many blade configurations why wouldn't you just buy a knife with the blades and configuration you want?

If it's a quality made blade/knife most if not all of the things described here would be a non issue, well except for Emspop's dislike of Cali clips ;) but even this is addressed when just buying the pattern you like with out that blade the rest like I said are non issues with a quality knife.

I was referring to stainless blades, because carbon steel blades patina and it can look great on a blade that's still shiny.
Btw I have nothing against the California clip on that old timer there, and that Robeson stockman you posted is just gorgeous.

This brings up another thing I don't really like, and that's humpback spey blades.
More than a few companies use or used humpback spey blades on stockman's and they're just so ugly this way, it doesn't hurt function but it's just ugly.

So what are the things you don't really like ?

Stainless steel. I hate that I can’t trust them to hold an edge. I have a few that were given as gifts but never carry them.

I have many stainless blades that hold an edge just fine.
But I agree in that I have some that don't, and those are seldom carried. They might get fondled, because they are pretty. But they don't often get put into my pocket. I am much more likely to carry a plain knife with a good blade than a fancy knife with a blade that is not.

Somebody mentioned knives that are not pocket friendly. Too large? Too pokey? I don't carry those much either.

I have a few, but don't care as much for single blade knives, either. Part of the reason I carry a traditional is so I have different blades shaped for different uses.

Blade rap. Laser etching (although I tolerate this on the right knives). Gaps between the springs and liners. Poorly finished handle slabs. Overly thick handle slabs. Horizontal OR vertical blade play (a little is OK, but there’s a fine line...).

Honorable mentions that, while “turn offs,” I do not let bother me *too* much: Sunken pins, blade rub, off centered blade(s), off centered shields, glued on (unpinned) shields, blunted tips (looking at you, CASE), uneven grinds.

So what are the things you don't really like ?

Let me say first that I just LOVE the full size trapper and Case's in particular.
What I could do without is the second blade because I feel it is in the way of the grip in use.
I don't mind two of the same length blades but I would want two knives rather than one knife with two blades in it compromising my grip.

Fortunately some time ago I was inspired . . . I was sitting there wishing and I just said . . . heck with it I'M GOING TO DO IT !
and did :
IMG_4180.jpg
took a few minutes with a dremel
and
THERE that's more like it !

Of course I like green handles so :
(that is a green handle; just very dark green with a bunch of black over it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that look
Maybe you can get an idea from the third photo; that is just the handle (don't look too close Boker gets a little lax in the liner department. High carbon and nice blade etching though / a keeper.
IMG_4029.jpg
IMG_4009.JPG
Yes I know they make single blade slim trappers. I want the full thickness handle though so I mod mine.

Getting back on topic this is my last trapper and I just cut the spay blade spine until it was flush with the handle and kept the blade. Compare to the white Case Trapper that is factory fresh / not modified. Frail but I might use it as my portable restaurant steak knife for cutting on ceramic plates. Haven't used it much yet.
I just want that two finger (plus my thumb ) grip near the pivot. The blade sticking out near my smallest fingers actually helps the grip back there so I tried that.
bottom knife in this photo.
IMG_4671.jpg

Last edited:
Let me say first that I just LOVE the full size trapper and Case's in particular.
What I could do without is the second blade because I feel it is in the way of the grip in use.
I don't mind two of the same length blades but I would want two knives rather than one knife with two blades in it compromising my grip.

Fortunately some time ago I was inspired . . . I was sitting there wishing and I just said . . . heck with it I'M GOING TO DO IT !
and did :
View attachment 797291
took a few minutes with a dremel
and
THERE that's more like it !

Of course I like green handles so :
(that is a green handle; just very dark green with a bunch of black over it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that look
Maybe you can get an idea from the third photo; that is just the handle (don't look too close Boker gets a little lax in the liner department. High carbon and nice blade etching though / a keeper.
View attachment 797293
View attachment 797294
Yes I know they make single blade slim trappers. I want the full thickness handle though so I mod mine.

Getting back on topic this is my last trapper and I just cut the spay blade spine until it was flush with the handle and kept the blade. Compare to the white Case Trapper that is factory fresh / not modified. Frail but I might use it as my portable restaurant steak knife for cutting on ceramic plates. Haven't used it much yet.
I just want that two finger (plus my thumb ) grip near the pivot. The blade sticking out near my smallest fingers actually helps the grip back there so I tried that.
bottom knife in this photo.
View attachment 797296
I've thought about this, but didn't like the idea of a 2 blade handle that's only got one blade in it.
I would rather disassemble the knife and subtract what I don't need.
Btw do you have a picture of that last one with the spey open ?

Crinked main blades,
Plastic scales (regardless of what type of plastic),
Cheap steel in expensive knives,
Anything but a thin FFG.

I can't stand poorly dyed bone. I think the handles should be pretty close to matching and if I get a dyed bone handle knife....I do not want to see any plain colored bone that didn't take dye.

And blade play....it drives me crazy.

Lust curious, why the dislike for the California/Turkish clip. Schrade's 81OT is a great example of that blade and when it comes to small game it's a great blade shape, very handy for processing small animals.

1488328709_51_82_1.jpg

If it's a quality made blade/knife most if not all of the things described here would be a non issue, well except for Emspop's dislike of Cali clips ;) but even this is addressed when just buying the pattern you like with out that blade the rest like I said are non issues with a quality knife.

I agree with everything you wrote in that most excellent post.
I wish I could make a reasonable argument to my dislike of the Cali/ Turk clip blade but it’s honestly a simple matter of aesthetics for me. There is just something about it that says weak/broken in my mind. Lol I never said I was reasonable!

Clay

Modern shadow pattern slip joints with such as carbon fibrer scales. Knives with screws instead of pins. Sabre grinds. Tacky fonts. Patterns with several too similar blades (or same blades).

I was wondering if my terminology would throw anybody off. :) I couldn't think of a better way to describe it at the time so I thought I better include a photographic example. Mark described it better in post #25 above but yes, we are both referring to the same thing.

Your terminology was fine--I just had a dumb arse moment. I shoulda looked more closely before posting. :D

Tangs that tower over the handle when closed like on this Laguiole. I have two or three knives like this. I like the knives in general but I don't like that feature. I will often pass on a knife that has a towering tang even if I like the looks of it otherwise.

View attachment 797111
Now I will never be able to get the term "towering tang" out of my head.

Zieg

I have many stainless blades that hold an edge just fine.
But I agree in that I have some that don't, and those are seldom carried. They might get fondled, because they are pretty. But they don't often get put into my pocket. I am much more likely to carry a plain knife with a good blade than a fancy knife with a blade that is not.

Somebody mentioned knives that are not pocket friendly. Too large? Too pokey? I don't carry those much either.

I have a few, but don't care as much for single blade knives, either. Part of the reason I carry a traditional is so I have different blades shaped for different uses.

is it likely a heat treating issue? poor heat treat perhaps? A lot of my knives sit in their tubes and boxes so I suppose its like the old saying goes, I know a sharp knife when I see it ... :D (something to that effect)

First thing, none of my turn offs would keep me from acquiring a knife that I really like, but they do weigh into my purchasing decisions and my choice in EDC. In no particular order of significance.
1. Mirror polished blades. I prefer as ground or better yet satin finishes.
2. Carbon steel on folding knives. I'm an older guy and spent my youth watching my pocket knife blades rust. So any carbon steel pocket knives I own, don't get much pocket time. I'm not fond of patina either. Damascus is OK either in SS or Carbon.
3. With the exception of Micarta I'm not fond of man made handle materials.
4. I can do without the blade etches.
These things are reflected in what I put in my pocket everyday, for the most part.

#1 on my list is a nail breaker pull followed by a too soft pull. Needs to be pretty much in the middle
#2 is blades that have a big logo etch. Put it on the box but not the knife!

-Blocky stag. Especially when it doesn't even transition into the bolsters. You see this a lot with stilettos.

-Stubby clip blades. I just think they look funny. I prefer California clips or at least what you'd see on a Buck 110. I'm talking proportions of course not actual size.

-Billboards on the blade.

-Those "lady leg" novelty knives. Do i even have to explain why?

-Christmas knives, espcially the ones with candy cane stripes.

-That red/green/yellow multicolor plywood that seems to only ever come on junk Pakistan knives

I love swedged spear blades though, its one of my favorite blade styles.

Last edited:
As a maker this is a very interesting thread.

Gotta say for those with the stainless blades that won't hold an edge. Either the steel choice or the heat treat is the culprit. Stainless done right can be some of the best on the planet for edge holding.

Back