Your Very First Knife

OK everybody how old were you when you got your first knife and what type of knife was it?

I was 5 years old and the knife was pearl handled 2 bladed and the blades were stamped Imperial Stainless Japan. oooooo ah ah ah, ok so I was only five.

First knife was a black hollow handle survival handle knife, plastic handle and compass on the top, "King of The Cheapos" (anyone know the name of this knife) had black immatation leather sheath with sharpening stone.

The first real knife was when I was 18, long time ago, about ?????????? 1 year, I think? Anyway it was a Sog Northwest Ranger, excellent little knife, nothing but the best reports.

------------------
Hunting? Don't be a wise guy, what do you hunt with a knife?

Name it!

My first knife was one I bought for myself. It was during the mid sixties when I was about 10 years old. I took my weekly allowance of $1.00 and walked down to the five & dime and bought myself a Barlow folder for 98 cents. I wish I still had it, but it's long since gone....

My Granddaddy gave me a black handled scout knife complete with fork and spoon when I went on a camping trip. I was about 6 or 7. I lost that knife on the same trip. Looked everywhere for it but could never find it. Sure wish I had that knife now.

------------------
John
Lifetime member Buck collectors club
Member NKCA
Member AKTI

I was about six when my dad gave me a pen knife that had a blade about an inch and half long with mother of pearl scales, at least thats what they looked like. The first thing I did was cut down my tire swing. Why? I don't know I was six. There went the knife, my dad took it away from me.

Hey Savanna! You and I have shared the same fate - Grandpa gave me an old "cracked ice" celuloid "Diamond" sort of a muskrat pattern when I was about 5 or 6 and told me not to cut anything with it... I cut the ropes on the swing IMMEDIATELY - He took it away for until I was about 17! and yes - I still have it - Just turned 60 last month and the knife occupies a place of honor in my display box.

------------------
Don't wrestle with the hogs - they enjoy it and you get dirty !
Jonesy

My first one was when I was around 8 or 10. I was at the fair and my sister won a pocket knife, and I thought I was the one who deserved a knife!!! So my dad gave me a little knife (1 inch blade) with wood-looking scales (I think he bought it at the fair for a small fee). It would never sharpen, but it was my little knife! I still have it. I would still have my second knife, but it was one of those plastic hollow handled survival knives that died after one too many throws in the dirt! The last of my crappy knife purchases was a big 'ol bowie with a surgical stainless blade (a big selling point for me). It is pretty much junk, but I love it because It is sort of a symbol of exactly what I don't want in a knife!!! The sheath is great though...

O.K., so this was about my first three knives! I'm a knife addict
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Come What May..."

Hello,

My first knife was a Camillus Cub Scout knife with jigged blue Delrin handle scales - they still make the same model today. I got it as a gift from my grandpa when I was about 7.

Later,

MBS

------------------

Nevermind the dog...beware of owner!

My first knife was a 3 bladed pocket knife, with a clip point, a drop point, and a sheepsfoot. I was 6 or 7 at the time. Over the next 5 years, I had 3 of them, in varying sizes. Wish I had 'em now... maybe dad hung on to them...

Dave

------------------
They always talk about my drinking, but they never consider my thirst.

The first knife I bought for myself was a Gerber LST. This was before they came with a little plastic clip. Still have it laying around somewhere.

Blades

Victorinox SAK when I was 9. Still have it and looked at it last night as a matter of fact. 25 years later and it still has the curious tendency to try and slice into my thumb every time I'm not looking.
smile.gif

------------------
-Tim-

My first knife that I maintained in my possesion for more than a 24hours would have to be a Gerber LST.

Which I sold for about $15 profit, remarkably, after a couple of years.

------------------
You could put nacho cheese sauce on it...

My first knife was a little drop point folder with about a 2" carbon steel blade and imitation pearl handles.

Still have it 30 or so years later and it even takes an edge of sorts though many others have perished along the way. (Like the one I tried to copper-plate when I was learning chemistry at 10 or 11, something went wrong and the blade was eaten away. Didn't try that again!)

Roger

Afternoon All,

I don' remember the first knife or two very well other than they were 3-blade stockman patterns. The first one of real meaning was a Puma lock-back (Buck 110 style) that Dad gave me for a birthday when I was 20 or so.

And every time I get another knife from him it has almost the same meaning. I think that this is the one area where we actually show each other that we care.

Andy

My first was a Invictus 007 folder made in Pakistan, back when I was 11, still have it. From years of sharpening it has gone from a clip point blade to a weird Persian
smile.gif

------------------
KSwinamer

Atheism....A non-prophet organization

My dad gave me my first knife when I was six years old. It was a small Colonial pen knife with two blades and black handles. I don't think I ever used the smallest blade but it didn't take me long to cut myself with the longer one. I still have that knife.

My first knife is a Buck Odyssey 186FL. Nice knife for the money I payd for it.

My first knife was a fixed blade my great uncle made from a file and handled in old hedge, guess I was about 8.

Jake

I was ten or so and I bought a mexican folder with clear lucite scales over some red pattern I can't remember what it was. It had folding hilts and was a verrry cheap fighter. I had collected soda pop bottles to pay for it at quick trip. My parents were appalled and I couldn't carry it anywhere. Eventually I traded it to a kid up the street and I think that I got a switch blade comb and two bic lighters for it.
chet

Back