Your Very First Knife

I got my first real knife when I had just turned 7. My Dad gave me a nice Boker stockman with a clip, spey, and punch blade. I still have it though it's been used pretty hard. I learned to sharpen on that knife though, and it could look worse. I know I had some Colonial and generic stuff before that. I remember a little tin bolstered piece that had Tennessee on the white plastic handles and a fork and spoon. It's pretty funny really, I don't know too many people that would carry a knife that sad except for kids. Unfortunately they are so poorly made as to be dangerous. That's why my Dad got me the Boker I think. I thought that Boker had real bone scales on it until I was about 16 and realized they were Delrin. I also carried it almost every day in grade school. I don't think my parents even knew. I just never got in trouble with it.

Paul

My first was a very simple swiss army. I have no idea where it went. I got it when I couldn't have been more than 8.

The first knife I got new was a fixed blade, I'm not sure who made it, but it might have been Buck. That lasted me about 8 years, till some enterprising friend borrowed it and 'sharpened' it with a grinder and pretty much ruined it permanently.

My first CUSTOM knife was a Crawford Assassin, got it just a few months ago.

------------------
-Jon
http://www.22world.com

My first was an Imperial peanut jack with fake bone handles, just like Grandad's (or so I thought! ... he carried a premo Robeson barlow). I guess I was about eight or nine. After months and months of pleading, my mom had finally relented while we were on vacation in Colorado, buying it at some campground store. I swore to her up and down that I was big enough to handle it and that I would be careful. Of course it was about, ohh, a DAY before I got bored with carving a stick and instead whittled off a piece of my thumb! To her credit though, she bandaged me up, washed off the knife and gave it back to me. I have no idea where that knife is know, but I do know that owning it and learning how to handle and care for it was a big part of growing up back then. There was never any talk of it being a "weapon" and I was allowed to carry it anywhere I wanted except school.

I found my first knife on the ground while walking to first grade. The design is hard to explain. To open it you pivot the blade and a sheet metal sleeve sideways out of a metal frame, then you rotate the sleeve in the other plane to enclose the frame and form a handle. Sort of a flip-flop action to end up with a 2" lock bladed pen knife. I managed to keep that knife for years. I've got one like it in my collection.

I got my second at about the same time. It was a 1" bladed pen knife that was a prize in a package of Cracker Jack. This was back in the 1950's. This luck kept me buying Cracker Jack for years.

My first knife was an Imperial jack knife with a yellow handle, I can't remember if it was plastic or some kind of composite. We were living in the Phillipines at the time and my Pop was on leave from Vietnam when he gave me that knife. My first fixed blade was given to me by mother when we were visiting her father in Alabama. It was an Imperial also. I no longer have the jack knife but I still have the fixed blade.

Back