1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

YouTube Review Constructive Criticism and your YouTube Favorites

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by steelhog, Jun 14, 2019.

1. steelhog

steelhog

Jul 2, 2009
    Hey all - seeing as the youtube comments section is basically always a dumpster fire I though I would create a thread for general constructive criticism and various feedback of all sorts for YT reviewers. Keep it civil but feel free to voice your YT review pet peves, constructive criticism or want to see more (please keep this general and don't list specific individuals unless its positive) and also to ensure things keep positive list out your favorite reviewer as a good example of reviews well done.

I will kick it off.

Constructive Criticism - I really wish the YT reviewers would start with a basic understanding of the knifes core design and not bad mouth it when it does not perform well outside of that core design (example "this thin ground skinning knife sucks because it chipped when I was batoning it through an ash log with a rock"). This is ok when its intended to be a funny review, but when they are serious they loose me.

Want to see more - I would love to see more reviews with tradition folders in use. Many of the traditional reviews are fantastic but mostly focused on collecting. More in-use videos with traditional knives would top my want to see list.

YT Favorite - I think a great example of a review well done is (Virtuovice) he always seems very genuine and more like the camera is just with him, opposed to a forced/BS review. His reviews are almost always PG rated, simple/straight forward and informative. Another good example on a different end of the spectrum is (advanced knife bro). Videos are funny, informative and not trying to act like everything is a live or die situation.

cudgee, kreisler and Steve Of England like this.
  2. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    YT Favorite - If i had to name just one knife-related YT channel, it would have to be Michael Christy. After going thru several guided sharpening systems, then using the Triangle Sharpmaker the conventional correct way, i finally ended up freehanding the way he does. It's the most distilled, most efficient way of sharpening and always ends up in hair whittling sharpness.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Retired45 and steelhog like this.
  3. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I really can’t watch the reviewers who have to have their face shoved to the review. I can’t really see the knife in detail (and it’s too far away). If you want your face in youtube, have separate short bits of you or start a lifestyle channel. Keep it on the desk.

And one more thing: actually use the knife!

DocJD likes this.
  4. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Consistency! Can’t tell you how many times I have seen reviewers trash some aspect and then on the next knife with exact same obvious issue, never say a word.

Also, I would like to hear on every knife comfort and ease of deployment and close. The best for that is Metal Effort. He calls it the OCD of a knife - Open, Close, and Disengage. Like that because I tend to fidget with mine a bit and I like knowing if a knife is uncomfortable to open and close. I have bought some great knives but could not stand to use em because it is almost like the designers went out of their way to make the lockbar as sharp as the blade.

And I agree about the reviewer being on camera. Not a fan. Could care less what they look like. That’s what Fake Book is for.

onekerf and steelhog like this.
  5. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Back when my knife hobby was in its infancy, I often turned to youtube before making any knife purchases, so I could see the knife in hand and close ups of how it operated, things like that. At the time ~2010ish, way too many knife videos were filmed in poorly lit garages, with potato quality cameras, with obnoxious music blaring in the background. I decided, that when I bought knives, if there were no good videos representing that knife on youtube, that I would make a video, trying to focus on a close up view of the knife, how it functions, and any glaring screwups it had. I have been doing this ever since. I don't do it for fame or money, but to help out knife buyers in the future who want to see a knife close up before buying.

In these threads, people always want to see the knife "in action" i.e. real world use - without realizing the effort going in towards making and editing a quality video showing that kind of action. Plus, I prefer to be behind the camera anyways, so my videos are overwhelming tabletop based, showing the knife up close. Always trying to improve, but I get mostly positive comments, and its nice to know you are helping other knife nuts out there in youtubeland.

eveled, mdrgn79 and steelhog like this.
  6. steelhog

steelhog

Jul 2, 2009
    Really good point about the OCD items. This is especially critical as many of us that buy online have no idea how it will feel or function without a good review.

7. steelhog

steelhog

Jul 2, 2009
    Hey man - fantastic channel and reviews! I hadn't seen you before and just watched your GEC-71 and buck 110 review. I really dig the delivery and content covered. Keep it up - I subscribed.

8. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I've never been able to stand any of the youtube knife review channels. If I do need to see something I usually turn the sound off and just hover the mouse over the bar until I see the angle I was looking for and jump to where they finally show a closeup, or the opening action, or whatever.

If I had a prisoner I wanted to torment though, I'd make them watch that bloviating watch salesman idiot guy 24 x 7 until they swallowed their own tongue to make it finally end.

Eli Chaps and DocJD like this.
  9. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    :eek:
    #shabazzhands
    5A03D03A-C616-4236-8F12-9CA6432EC7FB.jpeg

KCDR, lzeplin, NickShabazz and 2 others like this.
  10. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Advanced Knife Bro is the only knife-y channel I follow. He speaks with a wizened and biting sarcasm that I appreciate.

In the deluge of bloviating 30min knife reviews, AKB is a breath of fresh air. His writing is punchy and honest. I feel like he made the channel I would have ultimately made were I inclined.

steelhog and Bigfattyt like this.
  11. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I wish Donnie Baker would start reviewing knives.

12. RobertK

RobertK post tenebras lux Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2010
    I love that we’re in the stage where knife review videos are so prevalent. I’m spoiled. I get annoyed when there are little or no reviews of a knife I’m looking at hah.

I love the Shabazz. I don’t have a sub to a lot of other guys that are really active. I miss the solosknifereviews days. Also TheApostleP. The matter still does review but much less frequently.

13. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I personally can't stand the you tube reviews where someone talks. Or breathes. What can I say, I'm cranky and easily annoyed. But no review should be more than 3 minutes long.

ArchVV and evilgreg like this.
  14. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I hate reviews that start with loud music and trashy graphics before they even begin the review. Just get to the point. And most reviewers spend too much (way too much!) time talking, mostly just to hear themselves talk. Keep it under ten minutes and just tell us what we need to know (tip- I turn the playback speed up anywhere from 1.5X to 2X in order to get through the review quicker. If they had a 3X I would use it for Apostle P:p).

I do like to see who's talking; just makes me feel like I know the reviewer a little better.

Julian Williams likes this.
  15. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    My biggest issue is bad language. I’m not perfect by any means. But I worked hard to clean up my own language when I realized it was holding me back.

If you can’t put a sentence together without the F bomb. You really should not be reviewing things.

The excessive uhhmmms and aaaaahhhss are just plain annoying.

aboynamedsue and lzeplin like this.
  16. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I don't get unboxing videos. As soon as I see a shipping box on a table and a guy rambling on for more than 20 seconds , I switch the video off and move on.

As far as favorites, I like Nick Shabazz, Birdshot IV ( I actually enjoy there back and forth banter) and Cutlerylover.
    Most of the others I leave the sound off....

17. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    The uuuuummmmms drive me insane. Try listening to cutlery lover........impossible for him to get through a sentence without 14 uuuuummmms. Worse than chewing tin foil.
    The sanctimonious phlegm gargling snot snorting apostle???? No.
    Advanced knife dude has a good style and dr frunkey is cool for high end stuff.

18. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I can do without people just droning on without a plan as to what they are going to say.

But I really only watch Shabazz and Cedric&Ada, and they are great.

Just came across a channel called "The Elven Archer", which seems promising, even if I've only seen two videos.

19. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    Based on this thread, it seems that several people like reviews which are short and where the reviewer is muted. Doesn't sound like much of a review, or anything at all really. Might as well just look up the pictures and be done with it.

I, for one, am grateful to folks who thoroughly go over the details of a knife. Is that not the point of reviews - to know as much as you can about a product?

willc likes this.
  20. Metal Effort

Metal Effort

Aug 3, 2019
    Hey Man, thank you for the shout out. I've never been on this forum before. Youtube was telling me people were coming to my channel from here. I like feedback, both positive and negative. I'm glad to hear you like the OCD thing. I'll keep doing it.

-Nehemiah

Banter 247 likes this.