Youtube Video Show

I think a series of videos on the history of Fiddleback would be cool. Kind of like when the old threads pop up in the forum. Maybe start with what models came first, what was the reason for them, how they changed over time and why, etc. You could even pull old pictures from Fotki and add audio over the top. Just a thought.

Regardless I like the video idea. :thumbup:

Great idea and good use of free time. Look forward to seeing them :thumbup:

I like the idea ... but I'd also like to see more eye candg pics/posts of knives in the works or just finished on your Instagram.

Go for it Id watch them. You may want to look into the GoPros cams. They are cheap small an almost indestructible they will also record in HD 4K. Ive got one that I use for every an the resolution is as good as most 1000.00 cams. I find myself using my GoPro more an more over my high end camcorder. Im pretty sure you can get them from 199.00 and up. Chuck

testing only. this is the first video i have shot w/ my camera and i wanted to see if it is a viable option for us to use

not indicative of what we are going to do
[youtube]uy9n7BJlOB4[/youtube]

Video is like painting. Lots of prep and a little work.

Couple of things that I've discovered as I dabbled across the years.

- Handheld video sucks, kind of. There are some awesome hacks to make a hand rig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR1VuHZeKDc
- Tripod, Tripod, Tripod

- Lighting is tough
- Automotive window shades make great portable reflectors
- Daylight LEDs in a clip light frame are good. Desk lamps at a thrift store are also good

- Planning is key as people pointed out. Speak Clearly.

- Clean backgrounds are very helpful. The cutting mat really makes a good background.

- Avoid jump-cuts where the video changes too quickly. I've found that counting to five, or even ten when I have the urge to push stop and letting the camera run a little longer helps. I can always cut in post-production, but can't easily add more video.

Figuring out a way to overdub would be cool also so you could shoot the video and then talk through it later. (For this I'm thinking a grinding scene without the noise and someone explaining what's happening.

Bottom line, you need to tell your story and you need to tell people why your knives are worth the money. It's hard without bashing others work, but it's key to bringing in new customers.

Lastly, what video software are you guys using. I highly recommend iMovie as it's really easy, but you need to be on an apple platform.

If you want to set up an area outside the shop that resembles a bushcraft type camp, I could come down and help you set something up. Would make a cool area and backdrop for demonstrations of the concepts behind the knives and of techniques.

Could you do a "Babes of Fiddleback" episode?

Having grown up in marketing I can attest to the marketing power of sex appeal :)

If you want to set up an area outside the shop that resembles a bushcraft type camp, I could come down and help you set something up. Would make a cool area and backdrop for demonstrations of the concepts behind the knives and of techniques.

Having grown up in marketing I can attest to the marketing power of sex appeal :)
that area is in the works

ill PM you when i have more info or details

****edit
"in the works" is not the correct terminology .....in the planning phase is more correct

Last edited:
that area is in the works

ill PM you when i have more info or details

****edit
"in the works" is not the correct terminology .....in the planning phase is more correct

LOL, hey, thinking is working, so said Henry Ford. In fact he was sure it was the hardest work and that was why so few engaged in the practice :)

Cool, just let me know man.

Final Cut for the Mac is really good also. You can also add background music and over dub that with voice audio.

Youtube channels with videos can be cheap advertising, but you still have to get people there and then have something worth a damn to watch.

I'd re-iterate what I mentioned before, and what has been said here again... your website NEEDS help. If I go to a website and it doesn't appear to be updated, nor engage me... I'm pretty quick to move on to the next. There are so many potential customers that have no earthly idea what Bladeforums is. Website construction isn't brain surgery anymore either. There are many great website design interfaces that you could easily teach yourself. SQUARESPACE!

If it were me, and I had a whole day to spare, I'd take at least one hour out of that day and devote it to social media (instagram, facebook, twitter). Try your hand at writing and share your experiences via newspapers, magazines, blogs etc.

Offer a small discount for signing up for MONTHLY NEWSLETTERS
- This month at the forge
- Knives in progress
- GIVEAWAYS
- Build-alongs
- Reviews from some of our very talented BF posters
- Employee spotlights
- User spotlights
- Knife gathering events
- (insert your video series here)

Or none of the above. Just some very quick thoughts. Good luck with your videos, I hope they serve the business well.

Last edited:
Hey, Andy,

I know a few things about this subject. I bet I could show you how to do this on a shoestring and still make it awesome.

Also, I am cheap to hire to help you--I can be bought for dinner. I am going to be your way for Blade.

Derrick

Hey, Andy,

I know a few things about this subject. I bet I could show you how to do this on a shoestring and still make it awesome.

Also, I am cheap to hire to help you--I can be bought for dinner. I am going to be your way for Blade.

Derrick
that sounds great.
ill buy your dinner if that is what it takes:D

Back