Yumas in CPM154!

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
So I've been often asked why I havnt or when I am going to offer knives (mainly the Yuma) in a good stainless steel. Truth is ive wanted to for a very long time, but I've let the complexity of the heat treat intimidate me a little... O.K. A lot. Most of you here know I do all of my own heat treating and sometimes doing things out of your comfort zone can get in your head a little especially when your reputation depends on it.

The time came for me to be pushed outside that zone.. With more and more people wanting them, I decided to basically dive in head first. It took me a little while to get the time for the necessary experimentation, and I had a couple of failures, but I am now proud to say not only did I learn a new skill, but feel comfortable and confident that it is being done to the best of my ability. So, for all of you out there asking for it, here it is, you got it.

The Yuma in CPM154

So, these are the only four that exist at this time. Three of them are already sold and in a private collection. The blue/black/orange liner one is on its way to Whitty at USA made blade as I type this and will be for sale as soon as it hits the store. There will be more of these in the future, but for now, the one that will be available at Whittys is going to be the only one on the market until BLADE show in Atlanta where I plan on having a half a dozen or so on the table.

Last edited:
Nice, Todd. How's the edge retention holding up? Chips? Rolls? Dulling out? I have no experience with that steel.

CPM154 is good stuff -- it's pretty much the stainless equivalent to O1 in versatility, edge retention, toughness, etc....

Goddamnit, can we wait to advertise them after I've gotten the last one from Whitty please? Shit.

:D They look great man!

Congratulations on taking that step. You should feel proud of that, but on top if it, you produced several fine looking knives.

Zieg

Full disclosure and stuff.. from what I know that blue one is going to USAMadeBlade, and it won't make it to the website if I have anything to say about it. Whitty is a stand up guy, he'll offer it fair and square, I'll bet it will be on the website Tuesday because of the PO shutting down Monday. If you see it and want it don't mess around, I've got alarms and shit set up for Tuesday.

Will you offer this steel on Maguas? Ground thin?

3V, that's the ticket. Sweetest steel out there, so easy, it really is. Are you going to go in that direction?

Cheers!

Will you offer this steel on Maguas? Ground thin?

3V, that's the ticket. Sweetest steel out there, so easy, it really is. Are you going to go in that direction?

Cheers!

I have a batch now in 3V , two Yumas and two Tradewaters. I got the heat treat correct on them, but there is nothing easy about grinding 3V post heat treat. Maybe I don't have the right belts, but its been a pain in my rear.

Cool. I'll keep watching. I'm sure you'll get used to the wear resistant steels.

I've been using a K390 blade for a few months. Yea sure, it holds an unreal edge, but when I sharpened it, yikes, it took forever.

Back