ZDP-189 Pro's And Con's

I know that this steel is a Japaniese made steel some a part laminated. But how good or bad are they with corrosion. And how do you care for this steel and clean it? VG 10 and S30V I have used both but i was wondering if you use oil or just wash the blade in water...

Here's a post I made in another thread over in the Spyderco forum:

I've taken a liking to ZDP-189. Yes, it rusts much easier than S30V--I frequently use my knives for light-duty food prep, and right after I got it, I used my ZDP Stretch to cut an onion. I left the juice on the blade overnight, as a test, and I woke up the next day to some legitimate rust spots on the blade. They cleaned up easily enough, but I've treated S30V worse (I left lemon and lime juice on it) and it had either no effect, or only a very light haze the next day.

On the other hand, if you like to sharpen and keep your knives hair whittling sharp, ZDP-189 does a very good job at keeping a fine edge for a while--it keeps a fine edge significantly longer than S30V.

I'd say that no real "extra" care is necessary, other than just to keep it clean--if you leave acidic juices on the knife, don't be surprised to see staining/discoloration/or possibly rust.

ZDP is not always laminated. You can actually bu a knife with a full ZDP blade.

It's not a rust magnet. A lot of variabls play a large roll in the development of any corrosion of knife steel, guns, and other tools. if you learn to properly care for and maintain your tools, thee is nothing to worry about. I honestly think that the old "I don't want a knife made of x steel because it will rust". For the most part that is inaccurate beyond words.

That really helps....How did you clean off the rust and with what?

Thanks For Replying

I just used aluminum foil, salt, and a little bit of water. Rubbed the affected area until the spots went away. It might be easier to use a rust remover though, that was just the fastest and easiest solution that my hangover-fogged mind came up with rather than go all the way outside.

Or yu can use automotive wax/rubbing compound. Jut becausae it's knife steel does not mean that it cannot be cared for like any other type of metal. Think about chrome wheels on a car, or a motorcycle exhaust system, sainless steel cleaner for the restaurant industry. There are quite literally hundreds of ways to clean steel and protect it.
This forum has a ton of threads on what to do about corrosion, maintenance, and prevention:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/794-Maintenance-Tinkering-amp-Embellishment

I have a William Henry folder that has a laminated 420/ZDP-189 blade (It's the B15 Tom Brown Quest). I use it all the time for slicing apples, cutting meat and cheese etc. I wipe the blade off after use and put it in my pocket. I haven't had any sign of corrision.

I've had no issues with my solid ZDP D4s. They're work knives that get used in warehouse and backyard gardening environments. No chipping, no failures.

The worst that's happened is that the garden ZDP has had a few spots on the blade that easily cleaned off with a rag and some Simichrome, but ya gotta realize that my wife and my sister use that one, ride it hard, and put it away wet. I find it 3 months later, wipe down the blade with polish, sharpen it up, and it's go to go again.

I think ZDP like any steel should be properly cleaned, oiled & wiped dry. You should never have a problem with it. People should try to be more creative in finding uses for their EDC's than using them to prepare & eat their dinner - need to look into some kitchen cutlery maybe?

I'd feel like a flaming retard pulling out my XM-18 to butter a dinner roll or cut the fat off a pork chop. :)

I think ZDP like any steel should be properly cleaned, oiled & wiped dry. You should never have a problem with it. People should try to be more creative in finding uses for their EDC's than using them to prepare & eat their dinner - need to look into some kitchen cutlery maybe?

I'd feel like a flaming retard pulling out my XM-18 to butter a dinner roll or cut the fat off a pork chop. :)

I'm not talking about regularly making entire meals with a pocket knife (though I have done that a couple times--I made a very good wine braised steak rolled around feta/mahon cheeses), more like using it to cut a sandwich in half, or to shave some onion/cheese for a sandwich, or, and perhaps most often, to cut up lemons and limes for drinks.

I have an AG Russell Acies with a ZDP-189 blade - holds an edge very well.

I use mineral oil on the blade and I wipe it down at the end of the day after I carry it whether I use to or not.

I have had no problems with rust or staining.

I have a zdp-189 Delica and its held an edge wonderfully. As for rust resistance, I basically work on the docks in cali, I've yet to see more then a small spec of rust and thats,from leaning it out to a friend who didn't clean up afterwards, its a great steel choice

Last edited:
I'm not talking about regularly making entire meals with a pocket knife (though I have done that a couple times--I made a very good wine braised steak rolled around feta/mahon cheeses), more like using it to cut a sandwich in half, or to shave some onion/cheese for a sandwich, or, and perhaps most often, to cut up lemons and limes for drinks.

Don't mean to ruffle your feathers Cynic (nice handle btw). I'm just a keep 'em sharp wipe 'em down with oil guy. I don't sweat mineral oil, gun oil, Militec-1, Corrosion-X - bring it on but I need to do maintenance on my knives. If I need to eat with them and that would be in a catrosphoic/Armageddon scenario, I'll rinse 'em off if possible, use them then clean up again.

I'd still feel like a retard pulling out the knives I carry and flipping them open in an eatery for e.g. or looking like a lame *ss in front of my family by cutting my sandwich in 1/2 with a Spyderco Military or something along those lines. My folders are not sheeple friendly.

I'd like to go on record that I fully support your desire and right to do that if it makes you happy. Us knife nuts must back each other's play to some degree. :D :thumbup:

I'm in humid Florida and spend lots of time at the coast. I have several ZDP knives and have never done anything to prevent rust and I have never seen any sign of discoloration. I really don't understand why people say ZDP 'rusts' easily because I have seen nothing to suggest that. In fact it has around 20% chromium in it.

If it did get some discoloration then some metal polish like Mothers Mag and aluminum polish available at any auto parts store should take it off and not change the finish or look of the blade. On my M4 knives, which don't discolor much and are not stainless, I just put some on the tip of my finger and rub the whole blade down while concentrating on the discoloration. It brings it back to looking new and I think the light polish actually reduces the tendency to stain or patina.

I'm in humid Florida and spend lots of time at the coast. I have several ZDP knives and have never done anything to prevent rust and I have never seen any sign of discoloration. I really don't understand why people say ZDP 'rusts' easily because I have seen nothing to suggest that. In fact it has around 20% chromium in it.

If it did get some discoloration then some metal polish like Mothers Mag and aluminum polish available at any auto parts store should take it off and not change the finish or look of the blade. On my M4 knives, which don't discolor much and are not stainless, I just put some on the tip of my finger and rub the whole blade down while concentrating on the discoloration. It brings it back to looking new and I think the light polish actually reduces the tendency to stain or patina.

Noctis was having some CTS-XHP rusting issues - pretty big spots overnight. I think he lives in FL or HI . I know it's not ZDP but I have that steel in 2 of my knives and have never had a bit of rusting. I oiled the blades with Militec-1 heated it with a blow dryer until hot as h*ll and wiped them bone dry. Problems are on hold. Militec-1 is noted for it's lubricant properties but it's issue for the USCG and I think it's a darn good water barrier too. Just my $.02

I use my knives for anything that I need to cut at the moment and that includes food. If I want to cut my sandwhich in half, then I pull my knife out, cut, wipe off, and put away. I have never seen any funny looks or heard any comments. I personally could care less what people think but it hasn't ever been an issue to worry about either. I'm a grown man and will do what I need to if I'm legally allowed. Of coarse I'm fine with a T shirt and jeans/ cargo shorts and don't dress in the latest fashion for others.

Noctis was having some CTS-XHP rusting issues - pretty big spots overnight. I think he lives in FL or HI . I know it's not ZDP but I have that steel in 2 of my knives and have never had a bit of rusting. I oiled the blades with Militec-1 heated it with a blow dryer until hot as h*ll and wiped them bone dry. Problems are on hold. Militec-1 is noted for it's lubricant properties but it's issue for the USCG and I think it's a darn good water barrier too. Just my $.02

I wonder what brand knife it was and what type of finish. The finish plays a bigger role in corrosion resistance that alloy in my experience. A bead blast like Kershaw uses will rust pretty quick no matter what the steel. I don't use my knife in that steel but thought it was fairly stainless.

I wonder what brand knife it was and what type of finish. The finish plays a bigger role in corrosion resistance that alloy in my experience. A bead blast like Kershaw uses will rust pretty quick no matter what the steel. I don't use my knife in that steel but thought it was fairly stainless.
It was a Hinderer XM-18 with a stonewashed finish. Frankly, Rick might be onto something when he suggested it was the pH level of my tap water since ZDP also rusted on me when I forgot to wipe it dry after washing it. That, and the high humidity in Hawaii means that water takes longer to evaporate.

As an off-topic note, I don't recommend anyone use salt water or their own sweat to test corrosion resistance, that's just deliberately abusive. Though I should note that S90V and CTS-20CP passed that test with flying colors:D. Sleipner, not so much.

In fact it has around 20% chromium in it.

It takes about 13 % of free chromium to get a stainless alloy. ZDP is made with 20% of chromium but a large part of it is carbide former with the 3% of carbon. That's why ZDP is not the more stainless of all the steels. That said i don't have any rust issues with my ZDP blades but i use them every day and that's the best way to don't get edge loss by stain. However if you look inside the thumbholes of a ZDP Spyderco you will find rust while there is nothing such inside the thumbholes of VG10 or S30V ones.

dantzk.

Back