ZDP Military owww owwwww!

How cool would that be? Actually I don't see why it hasn't been produced yet seeing how popular the military is. If it was manufactured with G10 it wouldn't be outlandishly expensive. However, I personally wouldn't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for a carbon fiber version. Preferably with a bit more polish than the BG-42 millie. What do you guys think? I would really like to hear Sal's input on this.

S90V Military is in the works. So ZDP would be just too similar, wouldn't it?

the Millie is made in golden so i doubt we'll ever see a ZDP millie. wasn't a 125V millie mentioned a long time ago though....:D

what about S90V plus framelock, or compression lock! CF scale (full options)

My problem with the Military wasn't the lock per se, but the larger than usual cutout in the handle scale that allowed my hands in very 'normal' grips to disengage the lock. I'm not a huge believer in linerlocks, but the lock itself on the Mili I had was just fine. I'd love to at least see it without the cutout in the scale...a compression lock would probably be even better...

I otherwise really love the Mili...

-John

S90V? I've never used this stuff. What are it's strengths and what type of edge geometry does it perform best with?

Hi Uncle Rukus,

As mentioned, ZDP is unlikely in Golden.

We have done military's in ATS-34, CPM-440V (CPM-S60V), CPM-S30V and BG-42. We have a CPM-S90V version "in the works" as well as one other steel we're testing.

CPM-125V is not looking good :eek:

In the last test run, the grinding didn't go well. There was more wheel wear than steel removal. :eek:

We're making a few by hand, and we're working on forumualting a new wheel chemistry. So it will take a while, if at all possible.

sal

Just an assumption: At what point does the "super steel of the week" race become counter productive?

If the steel being ground is so problematic to the manufacturer (i.e. requiring the reformulation or creation of a new grinding wheel) what's the advantage to the ELU and even to the manufacturer?

Would the performance gained from the new steel, experienced by only a very few ELU's who really push the blade to its limits, justify the costs of one of the new materials, or is it mainly marketing; i.e. catering to the ELU who buys the newest and presumed best?

--dan

Just an assumption: At what point does the "super steel of the week" race become counter productive?

If the steel being ground is so problematic to the manufacturer (i.e. requiring the reformulation or creation of a new grinding wheel) what's the advantage to the ELU and even to the manufacturer?

Would the performance gained from the new steel, experienced by only a very few ELU's who really push the blade to its limits, justify the costs of one of the new materials, or is it mainly marketing; i.e. catering to the ELU who buys the newest and presumed best?

--dan

Thats why we all love Spyderco... Because they're a company willing to take such risks in order to further stimulate interest in metallurgy and provide knife knuts with new, great steels to test and use.

--dan

So who is Spyderco "racing" with in the steel game? I don't pay attention to many of the other production companies, but I really get the impression that Spyderco is the one who pushes the envelope most often with new steels in the production market...heck maybe even in the custom market.

Should Spyderco wait until the market embraces a new steel and then try and figure out to make it, or should they figure these things out before and be ready to adapt?

As far as marketing goes, from the adds I've seen, pushing ubber steels isn't really their game. Only steel junkies beg and plead for something different. Regular folks don't often care; and only notice steel changes rarely; if at all. Is Spyderco somehow playing a puppet master game, and we are too easily duped to see it? Or does Sal just enjoy the challenge with working with new materials and constantly trying to push the envelope?

I guess I find your post pretty insulting, I doubt you meant it that way but that is how I read it. :rolleyes:

zenheretic said:
Is Spyderco somehow playing a puppet master game, and we are too easily duped to see it? Or does Sal just enjoy the challenge with working with new materials and constantly trying to push the envelope?

Yeah, that.:cool:

I wouldn't have it any other way.

What's wrong with it's lock?

IMO nothing my friend, nothing. That's only the usual rumor about linerlocks or the linerlock of the Military in special (please don't get me wrong, sherlockbonez). :)

+1 :thumbup:

There is nothing wrong with the milie liner lock. After handling poor liner locks from other manufacturers, I can see why people are gunshy about liner locks. I think Spyderco got it right with their liner lock on the milie.

YMMV.

Andy

Sal, any testing or test runs with Duratech's 20CV???

not a lot of real world reports with that stuff yet. i know hinderer uses that now for his XM-18.

Hi Dano,

It's more of a "how much horsepower can we get out of it?" type of activity. "Jumps higher and runs faster".

I can't say that it's profitable or even profit motivated, but Iwill admit that the knowledge gained must have some long-term advantage.

Hi Madfast,

We did some testing when they first made it, about 5 years ago. It tested well, but we were also also doing some testing on some of the Newest Crucible stuff and decided to use Crucible at the time.

I'd like to do a "mule-team" run with 20CV when that project gets off the gound. (BTW, it was called CV20 when they first made it).

sal

Back