ZDP Military owww owwwww!

Hi Dano,

It's more of a "how much horsepower can we get out of it?" type of activity. "Jumps higher and runs faster".

I can't say that it's profitable or even profit motivated, but Iwill admit that the knowledge gained must have some long-term advantage.

Hi Madfast,

We did some testing when they first made it, about 5 years ago. It tested well, but we were also also doing some testing on some of the Newest Crucible stuff and decided to use Crucible at the time.

I'd like to do a "mule-team" run with 20CV when that project gets off the gound. (BTW, it was called CV20 when they first made it).

sal

sal, can you elaborate what the general results of the tests were? any concrete reason why the crucible stuff got chosen?

awesome news! i really hope this mule team thing takes off. a steel test of this scale has never been done before. :thumbup:

Hi Madfast,

The material was fairly new so it is possible that refinements have also been done. They gave us 3 heat treats (diffeent hardnesses) indicating that different heat treats gave different properties in edge retention, toughness and corrosion resistance.

We tested all 3 heat treats in abrasion resistance and corrosion resistance.

Tests were positive. I prefer to avoid numbers (as there is always someone to argue otherwise). We earmarked the material for future use.

Our relationwhip with Crucible is good. We were the first company to use their powdered metals in blade production. (We sought them out). We work well with them, they're good to us. We do lab testing for them in performance evaluations of knife steels. We also get to "play" with some of their experimental knife steels.

We're also willing to make "batches" of a model with an odd / new steel to get "Real-world-testing". While we think "lab-testing" is very valuable, we also feel "Real-world-testing" is equally valid.

We have done testing with Ed Schempp and some of his very hi-performance steels and we find that both "Lab" & "Real-world" are necessary to find "truth".

Crucible's product was very competitive performance-wise, so it was, for us, more effective to work with Crucible than to begin, at the time, a relationship with another foundry.

sal

CPM-125V is not looking good :eek:

In the last test run, the grinding didn't go well. There was more wheel wear than steel removal. :eek:

sal

Wow! It is look excellent steel for me! Really! I suspected manufacturers conspiracy against steel which are too good so they require new methods of manufacturing and better equipment.

I hope you will manage how to do this in a way it will be OK with production. If so you will have great competitive advantages. Like you have being the only one who offers ZDP-189 in production!

May be you may send this steel to Seki, I guess if they manage to work with ZDP-189 they may do same with CPM S125V. However if Japan produce it - it will not be seen as an adecvate answer to Japanese ZDP189.

I hope to have sometime CPM S125V knife.

Thanks, Vassili.

P.S. Any plans to use CPM D2?

Wow! It is look excellent steel for me! Really! I suspected manufacturers conspiracy against steel which are too good so they require new methods of manufacturing and better equipment.

I hope you will manage how to do this in a way it will be OK with production. If so you will have great competitive advantages. Like you have being the only one who offers ZDP-189 in production!

May be you may send this steel to Seki, I guess if they manage to work with ZDP-189 they may do same with CPM S125V. However if Japan produce it - it will not be seen as an adecvate answer to Japanese ZDP189.

I hope to have sometime CPM S125V knife.

Thanks, Vassili.

P.S. Any plans to use CPM D2?

Hi Vassili,

Seki isn't too thrilled with working with ZDP. We hear complaints about how hard it is to grind.

I'm working on the S125. I'm often slow :rolleyes: but I'm persistant and tenacious.

On the new CPM-D2, yes.

sal

In the last test run, the grinding didn't go well. There was more wheel wear than steel removal.
Very interesting...I had always thought that the higher price of new steels was just because it's "new" and the foundry could charge more. What I hadn't thought about is the cost of grinding...wheels and labor.
I realize this might be proprietary information, but how many finished blades can be ground from 1 wheel? How many for different types of steel, both PE and SE?
Can a worn SE wheel be dressed down to grind PE's?
Thanks!
G27

Sal, your comments on CPM-S125V make that stuff sound more impressive than ever.
A few suggestions. Have you tried making really thin knives? I know it would be ideal to have this steel available for most models, but I would be willing to settle for something small with a really thin blade, Maybe the Ladybug?
Can the primary bevel of a blade be laser cut?
This also seems like the perfect situation for MIM technology to be put to good use, If CPM-S125V can be used in that process that would solve a lot of problems.

Keep up the good work.

Very interesting...I had always thought that the higher price of new steels was just because it's "new" and the foundry could charge more. What I hadn't thought about is the cost of grinding...wheels and labor.
I realize this might be proprietary information, but how many finished blades can be ground from 1 wheel? How many for different types of steel, both PE and SE?
Can a worn SE wheel be dressed down to grind PE's?
Thanks!
G27

Hi G27,

Each blade is different. Some take one pass, some take 4. Some steels take special wheels.

PE's & SE's are not interchangable. The determination must be made before grinding.

sal

Sal, your comments on CPM-S125V make that stuff sound more impressive than ever.
A few suggestions. Have you tried making really thin knives? I know it would be ideal to have this steel available for most models, but I would be willing to settle for something small with a really thin blade, Maybe the Ladybug?
Can the primary bevel of a blade be laser cut?
This also seems like the perfect situation for MIM technology to be put to good use, If CPM-S125V can be used in that process that would solve a lot of problems.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Joshua,

Thanx for the kind words.

I've not given up on S125, just need more larnin'.

I don't think a small blade would serve as well.

At this time, we cannot laser cut bevels.

MIM won't work at this time.

sal

Can Crucible press CPM S125V from powder right into triangular blade like blanks?
Or in thin blanks 1/8" which should be used scandinavian way without grind with only one primary bevel-edge like Helle knives for example.

Can Crucible make grinding wheel for you from let say CPM S500V or something? 100 years ago alll sabers mass produced for cavalery as I read somewhere was not really grinded to shape but steeled. May be this is the way for shapnig CPM S125V and Crucinble may make CPM 20V for this...

Thanks, Vassili.

Can Crucible press CPM S125V from powder right into triangular blade like blanks?
Or in thin blanks 1/8" which should be used scandinavian way without grind with only one primary bevel-edge like Helle knives for example.

Can Crucible make grinding wheel for you from let say CPM S500V or something? 100 years ago alll sabers mass produced for cavalery as I read somewhere was not really grinded to shape but steeled. May be this is the way for shapnig CPM S125V and Crucinble may make CPM 20V for this...

Thanks, Vassili.

Hi Vassili,

thanx for the suggestions, but just rolling the steel proved to be tough and this was the 2nd run. We'll have to figure out a way to grind it.

sal

Back