Zippos?

KISS – A properly maintained Zippo with a decent back up is a sound choice. Shame this seems another skill parents tend to no longer pass on to their children.

baldtaco, I'm still not gonna use a Zippo for EDC, but that's a great post :thumbup: :D

... I hate "all-in-one" mini HI-FI... :barf:

lighterx3.jpg

baldtaco-II, I don't know if it is one of the precursors of Armageddon, but I agree with you :eek: . Try lighting that Bic when you're cold and your fine motor skills are gone. A Zippo can be lit while wearing gloves!

But this is an ongoing argument that will never be resolved, and I don't think I'll post about it again.

Just for the record, I carry both.

Doc

Last edited:
I have some kind of pocket torch but as opposed to a popular belief it isn't extremely wind resistant.
Real benefits are extremely hot flame that can ignite small twigs or cold fuel and directional flame.

Zippos are interesting considering they are very simple devices that can run on almost any fuel. I've run them on medical alcohol on a few occasions.

I use a zippo, a bic and a jetflame type. the jetflame and bic are the ones I keep on me in case of emergency, or if the zippo runs out. the zippo is extra to all other firelighting gear, as it is essentialy, for me, a cool gadget.

Cpl Punishment, hola

Not something I take a great deal of notice of but I think I'd notice if it was more than weekly. I've got a lot of variables going on though. Some weeks I'm in lock down and working without distraction, other weeks I'm with my woman so it has to feed two. Then there's the great plethora of disposable lighters lying around that I'll snatch up if one is in range. Oddly, if there is just me on the pipe for a week I'll tend to the disposable 'cos of flavour, yet like this last week in which we've pretty much done a week long love-in, my Zippo has had to smoke for two and I still figure I'm filling it up about the same.

attej, hey

That's cool, not seeking converts just comparing notes. ;-)

DOC-CANADA, wassup

I'd like to be sure I won't post on it too. But then I have to remember not to, and that ties me into the same bloody loop. Argghh.

To each,

Hope you are enjoying the vacation if you are taking one.

I don't carry one right now but did in the Marines. Worked fine, burned your leg etc. But you can light it and throw it if you have to, put a bicycle innertube around the body and lid to reduce evaporation and have some rubber to light in an emergency. You can leave it lit for awhile to catch fire to something without burning your thumb holding the lever down on the bic. You can do cool tricks to impress the kids, kind of like lighting matches on your zipper or teeth or finger nail. Just another piece of kit, enjoy them both. Reusable, the stink brings back memories long forgotten as a child playing with stuff you shouldn't.

A Bic will be in the glove compartment or pack but a Zippo is in the pocket.

Sure a Zippo has some draw backs but the comfort it gives is worth any of them for me. My Granddaddy always had a Zippo so now it's my lighter of choice. Just the smell of one lighting reminds me of him now. The memories ain't throw away like some styrofoam cup.

Don't overfill your Zippo is the best piece of advice for using one. Pick out one day of the week to fill it and do it then all the time. You can also do the rubber inner tube deal, personally I don't like this but to each his on.

I've other lighters to light my pipes, cigars, and fires but give me the stinky, old fashioned Zippo everytime.

"Zippos will ruin the taste of whatever is being smoked. "

As a smoker of premium cigars for over 15 years, I have to disagree. I regularly use a zippo to light my smokes. I have heard others claim that a zippo will impart a petro taste to a cigar, but if I let it burn for a couple of seconds before lighting I don't have a problem.

Plus, you can lift up the cotton wadding on the bottom of the zippo, and insert a couple of extra flints.

I'm torn; I don't often carry a Zippo with me any more, but they are a versatile device. Whenever I do carry a Zippo a can of fuel isn't too far off. They are pretty robust and if you can locate fuel or carry a small can they will last a long time (I too keep a few extra flints and an extra wick in the bottoms).

Another option is the small peanut lighter...the Zippo's offspring:D With the small rubber gasket, they've stayed full for over a year. Additionally, you can use a Zippo or peanut lighter (or the other funky liquid fuel pocket lighter) as an improvised candle for hands free work with a little light.

I agree with most though that the Bic is a tad more reliable for short term; and whether you carry a Zippo or peanut or metal match, carry a Bic as a backup if you're heading off trail!!!

ROCK6

Zippo's will fail on you. They will run out of fluid or flint.

They will also do a better job reliably lighting anything you can think of than any other lighter. Torch lighters are great on a boat or golf cart or in high wind but I can't find one even close to reliable(suggestions anyone?)...you have to warm them up in the cold and can forget about it at altitude.

For me, the standard Zippo goes 1-2 weeks before a refill. If I'm going to be in the field I'll flint and fill and sometimes toss a spy capsule of fluid in my tackle bag.

Bic's are awful in any kind of breeze but as a back up I don't know of anything better.

(Zippo trivia - any one have a Jaguar from the Zippo game? )

Zippos are fun to collect, and to use. However, if a situation where I will need a fire arrises I much rather have a BIC with me. Never go anywhere without one.

Check out a "Solo Storm Lighter." They're fairly inexpensive and have always worked for me. In the woods in all kinds of weather or just on the deck with a nice cigar.

Back