ZOMBIES! No, really

Okay, there's a million kinds of zombies and other things- everyone remembers the ultimate lone wolf survivor in The Omega Man, right?

But as a scenario for survival, does anyone else look at this as a 'serious' joke? It could be rabid overbreeding dogs, or zombies, or just an invasion of half starved people eating post EOTWAWKI stragglers.

How are you prepared for forting up? for having to shoot 500 rounds in a couple hours to keep the zombies/birds/dogs/mutant ostriches away? What if physical contact with a particular animal really WAS death?

I have a SHTF combat/survival bag built on an Eberlestock pack and a couple thousand square miles of empty foothills and mountains in my backyard. A Ultra 87 shotgun is going in the side scabbard, with the Savage 10FP in the backscabbard and I'll be toting either my FAL or Wilson AR in hand. The Taurus 357 revolver will be on my ankle and the SW 6946 on my hip. I'm used to packing heavy so another 30 pounds of guns and ammo on top of the 80 I already carry isn't going to be a whole lot. I'll be putting as much distance between me and any form of civilization I can. Found a nice little spot this weekend, up in Seven Devils, there are valleys 1000 feet deep surrounded by rock cliffs with clear mountain streams and lakes full of brook trout with plenty of ground birds, rodents, deer and goats. It is separated by a town of 500 people by a 17 mile long 1 lane gravel road that hugs a cliff side all the way to the top. There is one pass that goes into sheep lake and it can be easily covered by a single person with a bolt action rifle. If I have time to make it that far, that's where I'll be, with my new Koyote Leuku and my RC-5, eating trout and drinking clear mountain water.

If it's zombies I'm going to the nearest mall and fight them off from there.

I always think I've got everything I need for that scenario. But, then, like the other day, I visit County Comm and end up spending more money. I've got more stuff than I could possibly carry if I had to bug, but I look at it as stuff I could barter with as well.

Count me among the first round of zombie converts. I live in Chicagoland. I guess I can hide in Busse woods for a few hours....

Lol. Didn't mean to make light of your scenario. Some day I'll live in an area that has trees.

that's a lot of guns! Might want to cache some ammo and other supplies, at least :D

Fleeing civilization is something that is in some of the family plan options- there are types of diseases or terrorist attacks where a nice loooong extended camping trip would be a good thing.

Count me among the first round of zombie converts. I live in Chicagoland. I guess I can hide in Busse woods for a few hours....

Lol. Didn't mean to make light of your scenario. Some day I'll live in an area that has trees.

okay, your get out of dodge plans have to be hellish.

Being in the suburban sprawl of Metro Detroit, my options are somewhat limited. I'd probably try to wait it out at my place until I thought things were getting to hairy. If I couldnt get out, theres a couple of municipal buildings and other large "compound" style houses around that would lend themselves well to fortification.

Hopefully I would still be able to go, and my family has a cottage about 3 hours north of Detroit. If things got even more dicey I've got some family in the UP on some serious acreage, and that would be my next stop.

As for gear, I'm not completely happy with what I have, but I think I could do alright. Need some more ammo and need to stockpile some more food.

that's a lot of guns! Might want to cache some ammo and other supplies, at least :D

Fleeing civilization is something that is in some of the family plan options- there are types of diseases or terrorist attacks where a nice loooong extended camping trip would be a good thing.

oh the typical survival crap is stuffed into gallon ziploc bags and squeezed into the pack-sleeping bag, 2 person north face tent, 2 3 liter water bladders, a ketadyn micropump, cheapass multicaliber cleaning kit, survival fishing kit, HB tomahawk, ontario machete, first aid kit, cold weather clothing, small hygiene kit, vitamin supplements, fire kit... like I said it weighs in at about 80 pounds without the guns, but the Eberle pack wears like it's 40.

You guys may find this interesting: http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf .

It is a real, peer-reviewed academic paper. It never ceases to amaze me what some folks get research funding for!

I am not worried about a zombie apocalypse. But I do have concerns about my city's ability to handle an intermediate-length disaster or public health crisis. In Toronto, there are a surprising number of people who eat out for every meal, every day, and are otherwise 100% urbanized. I don't begrudge them anything, but they are definitely going to be in rough shape if we run into a combined disease + power outage + winter storm situation (which is certainly not without precedent). I keep a reasonable stock of food on-hand, as well as everything necessary to 'camp at home' if need be. If things look like they will be rough for longer than a few weeks, I suppose I would get out of town and head north, though I imagine that could get a bit hairy.

Ultimately, if things really go belly-up, I'll be the guy with the sharp stuff and conch shells. :p

All the best,

- Mike

Then again, i might just get some buddies together, an ex-girlfriend, and try to hold them off at a local pub.

I have a brilliant plan, but I'm not telling anyone 'cause then everyone will do it and it won't work anymore.

Then again, i might just get some buddies together, an ex-girlfriend, and try to hold them off at a local pub.

Hey, that's EXACTLY what one of my friends did in New Orleans after katrina. A bunch of people who couldn't easily get out for transportation reasons and a few stubborn souls got together (I think it was like 11 of them) at the bar one of the guys managed and just... stayed. And opened.

Well, if you think you might be going down for the count, what better place then at a bar. Go down swinging, hammered off your butt, with a drunken bar tramp in your arms. mmmm...one can only dream. Now where did I put the gin?

I'd rather die snuggled in my bivvy with stone roasted trout and mountain greens in my belly, but that's just me ;)

If "roasted trout" is a code word for hot bar tramp, and "mountain greens" is a code word for amber ale, then I'm with you all the way. :)

round here "mountain greens" means something else entirely.....hahahaha

if the zombies etc come, I'm going to grab my kabar Khukuri, put on my best Italian suit paired up with combat boots, light a cigar, grab a bottle of 50 year scotch, crank up the amplifier and crank out Cradle OF Filth and start beheading things.

Kidding aside, I see a situation like this being about fortification and supplies. I work for a public water agency, and I can think of two of our reservoirs that would make an ideal location to hold out for an extended period of time...with plenty of water. We keep emergency supplies in our warehouse, enough to keep a handful of people going for many weeks. If I could get the supplies to the reservoir quickly, and lock up the compound, it would could be made fairly zombie proof in short time. If it goes on longer than a month things would likely start to get hairy. Even the coyotes are skinny around here, so survival after the supplies run out would be challenging.

Back