ZT 0450 rattles

We have one ZT0450G10 left in stock and I just checked it. It has no rattle. Just to be on the safe side I also checked a couple of 450s, 450CFs and 460s and none had any rattle at all.

In the past couple of months I probably took 15-20 of the 450G10s apart for anodizing and never once noticed an issue. Not sure what is rattling but it does sound strange. I am sure ZT will gladly fix it for you. If not and you want to send it to me I will be happy to check it out and see what I can do.

Just curious, have you taken it apart or changed anything on it?
I haven't touched it at all. I made that mistake with a 770cf once and it was never centered again. I'm not adverse to it, but I don't think it's something that can be fixed by taking it apart.

Are you sure about the movement range of a couple of mm? That would be larger than the size of the detent hole.

Regardless, I would send it in for warranty service. You can call KAI but I am certain you will be told to send it in.

I checked it again. probably more like ~1mm of play. I looked inside as best i could and it really looks like the detent ball is too small for the hole.

I didn't attack anyone or call anyone names. I was quite sincere. The fact that the blade "rattles" when closed is entirely subjective and appears to have no effect on it's ability to function as a cutting instrument and or it's safe use as one.

If you don't care for my comment then ignore it.

I didn't attack anyone or call anyone names. I was quite sincere. The fact that the blade "rattles" when closed is entirely subjective and appears to have no effect on it's ability to function as a cutting instrument and or it's safe use as one.

Ummm...no. I can't agree with your treatment plan and I have to hope ZT wouldn't either. This knife doesn't function as designed and the OP is correct in wanting to make it right. I don't think you've really helped here and if I choose to ignore you, I won't be able to call you out the next time you don't help.

Kershaw agrees with my assessment that this is not correct. I am sending it back to them tomorrow. I've printed a label and will update the thread once i have a resolution.

Just because you didn't call anyone names doesn't mean you are not trolling the thread. It doesn't affect its cutting ability, but it does affect it's opening, and while it may not be a safety hazard, its not what I would expect given the ost of the knife and the reputation of the MFR. My previous statement still stands. I'll alter my label to YOUR address if you are willing to send me a perfect version of the knife in question. I suspect you won't take me up on this. Why would anyone want a flawed knife when the bar set on ZT production folders is so much higher than that.

All trolling aside, as I said I have the same problem . I have the full titanium version. What I also noticed is that I can see a part of the extent hole when the knife is opened. Then a a part is sticking out from under the scale. At 45 degrees opened, you can see almost the halve of it sticking out.
So I think in my case the detent hole is just too big.

All trolling aside, as I said I have the same problem . I have the full titanium version. What I also noticed is that I can see a part of the extent hole when the knife is opened. Then a a part is sticking out from under the scale. At 45 degrees opened, you can see almost the halve of it sticking out.
So I think in my case the detent hole is just too big.

Part of the detent hole being exposed when the blade is locked does not necessarily mean the hole is too big. In several ZTs that I have I can see this, though none of them has any blade play in closed position. As I said in another thread, however, a ZT 0909 that I recently acquired does exhibit the same issue as described in the OP and it is now in KAI for service. I will report back once receiving the knife.

i got a 0850 thats rattling/loose. i think its the detent. must have not been made correctly. im going to email Kai to do warranty on it eventually.

It's in their hands now. They said it's not normal, and I sent it in. It could be as long as 6 weeks.
service can take up to 6 weeks but often doesnt take that long. not saying it wont, but it could be a lot sooner.

quite a few. Just took more than half to my Edge Pro tonight. Then a .3 micron balsa strop followed by a leather strop. Tree toppers!

Thought I would report back on my ZT 0909 with the same issue. The knife was sent to KAI on Thu two weeks ago. Got it just a moment ago. The issue was fixed. It is now perfect in every aspect. Kudos to KAI for its excellent CS. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thought I would report back on my ZT 0909 with the same issue. The knife was sent to KAI on Thu two weeks ago. Got it just a moment ago. The issue was fixed. It is now perfect in every aspect. Kudos to KAI for its excellent CS. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Any idea what the issue was? Just realized one of my limited ZT's has a rattle as well as feeling ''notchey'' while closing the blade. I'd prefer not to send it to the mothership.

Last edited:
Back