1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

ZT 550 now with deep carry clip?

Discussion in 'Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance' started by RByers91, Aug 7, 2012.

1. RByers91

RByers91

Oct 13, 2010
    Just saw the post on Facebook by ZT of a 550 with the same deep carry clip as the 560. Are they being made with the same clip now?

2. spyderchop

spyderchop

Mar 15, 2012
    just saw that too??

3. EZ Bake

EZ Bake

Mar 5, 2009
    Yep - just saw that. I'm going to wait to buy my 0550 now until they (hopefully) have those pocket-clips on them.

Here's the pic btw:

[​IMG]

4. RByers91

RByers91

Oct 13, 2010
    Yeah i was about to pull the trigger as well but will wait to see if that clip is now standard.

5. Ore_Ele

Ore_Ele

Feb 10, 2012
    It is the new standard. I've heard that there are actually some hybrids, where one side is tapped for deep carry, while the other is for regular.

6. sticktodrum

sticktodrum Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Damn... just my luck...

7. KershawLynda

KershawLynda Banned BANNED

Apr 10, 2012
    Yep that's right.... New 0550's coming off the line will have the deep carry clip. We found it to be more popular. You're also right that there was a very small batch (maybe only a hundred or so) of "hybrids" that were made during the transition. The back scale has the deep carry clip and the G10 side is drilled for the regular and it comes with a spare regular clip. Moving forward, production is designing them for deep carry on both the front and back. There's unfoturnately nothing in the model number to tell you which clip it has, so if you have a strong preference one way or another, I suggest calling the dealer to ask before ordering.

8. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Lynda, thanks. Would it be possible for me to get a prototype knife in this configuration. It's purely in the interest of science I assure you. I can then report my findings directly to you and Thomas ;)

9. RByers91

RByers91

Oct 13, 2010
    Awesome! Thanks for the update, will surely be getting one of these now!

10. Thomas W

Thomas W Banned by Moderators

Oct 11, 2005
    Cutout is reversed as well.

11. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I can get on board with that, but I prefer the old clip.:(

12. presz

presz Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2005
    I just noticed that too.

What was the reason for the change?

13. BrentD86

BrentD86 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 27, 2012
    hmmm.... should have another little bonus from work coming, maybe the 350 for work and newly revised 550 for casual days out. Something is seriously wrong with me lol.

14. chester22

chester22

Feb 1, 2012
    Well That is just great! Now I have to buy one!

15. viper89

viper89 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Wow that is great. Now I think I have to get one.

16. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Glad to see I was ahead of the curve for once...:D

Edit: Thomas if I send my 0551 in, would you fine folks at ZT be willing to swap my scale to the new design? I like the reverse cut-out a little better.

Attached Files:

17. BrentD86

BrentD86 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 27, 2012
    At least im not the only one with this sickness :)

18. jimmer_5

jimmer_5

Jan 25, 2007
    In general, it works a little better to have the cutout on the outside - it's not a deal breaker either way, but it's functionally better. We also moved it toward the butt a little bit to make it a bit easier to unlock and a bit lighter on the detent.

19. bad_juju

bad_juju

Jun 7, 2011
    I think visually it looks better. So i assume around serial # 2551 will be the transition for future ref. on the switch over. You know people are going to be asking when somewhere down the line! I also like the ZER*/ONE on there! Breaks it up a little better with that and the cutout. Liking the patch as well! I was looking to get one of these soon. Looks like i will wait for this one now.

20. Thomas W

Thomas W Banned by Moderators

Oct 11, 2005
    Unfortunately no.