ZT 550 now with deep carry clip?

OK - as previously reported, ZT's Warranty Service Dept. just sent back my 0550 and replaced the Ti side with the new deep carry pocket clip design:

I haven't seen this really discussed before, so forgive me is this has already been mentioned. I was surprised to see that the G10 side of the knife still has horizontal screw holes for the old-style pocket clip as opposed to vertically aligned screw holes which correspond to the new deep carry pocket clip. The deep carry clip is not reversible.

ZT says they are including both old and new versions of the pocket clip in the production version packaging.

If you were thinking (like I did) that handle scales made for the old-style 0550/1 wouldn't fit the new versions, rest assured they will. Now if we can only get some new scales out there in the market....

Rolex John, I just want to interject here - there are a few of the new clip style 0550's out on the market that were not reversible, but all the current ones will be fully reversible and will only use the deep carry pocket clip.

In your case, the Warranty department changed out your titanium scale but did not replace the front handle scale and liner, which is why your pocket clip is not reversible.

The Hinderer replacement scales will fit the new version (the profile and handle screw placement did NOT change), but until Rick runs a new batch, the pocket clip holes will not be compatible with the deep carry pocket clip.

My 551 opens super smooth and i cant swing it out with gravity. Once you overcome the strong detent it flies open. I think most of the problems or complaints about the old style 551/550 not being smooth are because people dont like the strong detent because it hurts thier thumb. Im sure there are some real problem cases but i think most of them are expecting ZT knives to open like benchmades.

I heard the reverse cutout makes the lockbar easier to move which probably means less pressure on the blade when closed and a softer detent.

It's not the reversed lockbar relief that makes it easier to open and close, but the placement of the new lockbar relief. The new lockbar relief is pushed further back towards the butt, and the slot is a bit longer. This lengthens the lockbar slightly, and contributes to the knife having a little lighter detent. As a result, the knife is easier to open and close.

Wow, I'm stunned to see posts from folks who prefer the 0550 to the 0560! I have both, and I love them both, but honestly the 0560 blows the 0550 clean out of the water in every way! it is about 100,000,000 times more smooth (due to the KVT bearings, I assume), the handle fits my hand perfectly (I do have large hands, but not overly huge), I like the Elmax better, love the flipper, I basically like everything about th 0560 better. That being said, I will consider buying one of the new 0550s, though, love the deep-carry clip, & I can't have too many ZT's!

Rolex John, I just want to interject here - there are a few of the new clip style 0550's out on the market that were not reversible, but all the current ones will be fully reversible and will only use the deep carry pocket clip.

In your case, the Warranty department changed out your titanium scale but did not replace the front handle scale and liner, which is why your pocket clip is not reversible.

The Hinderer replacement scales will fit the new version (the profile and handle screw placement did NOT change), but until Rick runs a new batch, the pocket clip holes will not be compatible with the deep carry pocket clip.

That's interesting. My assumption was as you explained. But it didn't make sense to me that my knife would be sent back as a "hybrid" without the version of the liner and scale which corresponded to the new version. I asked why this was the case to Jeremy Smalling at ZT Warranty Support and this was his emailed response:

Hi John,
We have not changed the clip on the front handle in production. The finished good from manufacturing is designed to have a deep pocket carry on the back and the normal shallow pocket clip on the G10 side. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

This would seem to be in direct contradiction to your statement. Is one of you incorrect?

It's not the reversed lockbar relief that makes it easier to open and close, but the placement of the new lockbar relief. The new lockbar relief is pushed further back towards the butt, and the slot is a bit longer. This lengthens the lockbar slightly, and contributes to the knife having a little lighter detent. As a result, the knife is easier to open and close.

Unfortunately, mine updated model is no easier to open than a 2nd, older 0550 I have. The new one doesn't open any easier - the detent is unnecessarily strong in both examples. In fact, because it's more worn in, the older model does open more easily.

That's interesting. My assumption was as you explained. But it didn't make sense to me that my knife would be sent back as a "hybrid" without the version of the liner and scale which corresponded to the new version. I asked why this was the case to Jeremy Smalling at ZT Warranty Support and this was his emailed response:

This would seem to be in direct contradiction to your statement. Is one of you incorrect?

I can't recall which thread I seen it in, but this was toched on before. There were a few transition pieces they manufactured which were old style front g10 side with new design ti lock side. Not many of these were made but yes they did sell some as new. They have since made the new side and from here on they are the new style clip front and back. So there was a short time of the hybrids. I hope that helps explain!

They might as well give you a new knife if they are going to change out the front side with which there was nothing wrong. I can see why they do not do this. They fixed what was wrong and gave you both style clips with it. Yes It is a bit different to have two different clips but it is still usable. The only way I might be really upset about it would be if I was left handed.

I can't recall which thread I seen it in, but this was toched on before. There were a few transition pieces they manufactured which were old style front g10 side with new design ti lock side. Not many of these were made but yes they did sell some as new. They have since made the new side and from here on they are the new style clip front and back. So there was a short time of the hybrids. I hope that helps explain!

They might as well give you a new knife if they are going to change out the front side with which there was nothing wrong. I can see why they do not do this. They fixed what was wrong and gave you both style clips with it. Yes It is a bit different to have two different clips but it is still usable. The only way I might be really upset about it would be if I was left handed.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but that's not how it was explained to me (see the quote from above).

I would have paid for the correct liner given the option - I'm not crazy about this "hybrid." I think I'll have a hard time getting scales for it in the future.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but that's not how it was explained to me (see the quote from above).

I would have paid for the correct liner given the option - I'm not crazy about this "hybrid." I think I'll have a hard time getting scales for it in the future.

Sorry if it all got jumbled up for ya. If you don't want it though, you could always gift it to me! I don't have one and have been jonesing for one!

If you don't want it though, you could always gift it to me!

I was going to offer the same thing. :)
Especially with the detente as it is...when others complain it's too hard, that's when I know it's just right for me.:thumbup:

Well I was very reluctant to try one of these new ZT 0550 because of my prior bad experience with two ZT 0551's that were in the 100 number serial range.
Both of the two I had could not be opened with the thumb studs with-out tearing skin.
They sure got it right on this new model, this think flips out like a Para 2 or any of the Griptilians.
Don't be scared to try one, you will love it. Mine arrived today and I already put some new pants on it.

Image-29.jpg

Image3-26.jpg

Image8-18.jpg

Image21-5.jpg

Well I was very reluctant to try one of these new ZT 0550 because of my prior bad experience with two ZT 0551's that were in the 100 number serial range.
Both of the two I had could not be opened with the thumb studs with-out tearing skin.
They sure got it right on this new model, this think flips out like a Para 2 or any of the Griptilians.
Don't be scared to try one, you will love it. Mine arrived today and I already put some new pants on it.

Banana Yellow!:eek:
Just messin with ya! Nice pics.

After finding and skimming through this thread ........ now I have to get one of these newer ones also :rolleyes: :cool:

Back