1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

ZT Limited Edition 0999

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Grandmaster, Nov 28, 2016.

1. WilliamCody

WilliamCody

Aug 30, 2016
    I'll stick with my 0566bw....

I like the ball bearings alot but it looks liks a spaceship, and costs about the same as well.

A little "kitchy" for my taste

2. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    I recall people ragging that the 777 & 888 were too freaky and futuristic looking.
    Other than the cf insert in the blade, I actually like the design. But $750 for a production knife is too steep for me. Regardless of how limited it is.
    That is what a lot of really good custom makers are charging nowadays, and personally I'd prefer to go in that direction.

3. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    I thought the 777 a great looking knife from day one ... and still do.

The 888 not so much. Its a bit ungainly looking compared to the 777.

4. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Joke price. This absurdity is why I am completely turned off to ZT.

5. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I had the opportunity to really check these out at Blade.

They are really advanced in the construction, the backspacer and lockbar are machined from billet ti, with the backspacer having a cutout through which the flipper tab "flies through" and eventually becomes the blade stop. Hard to describe.

The handle is 3d machined CF. Anyone here ever machined CF or even talked to someone who has? It's not easy.

The cutout in the blade with the carbon filler is a styling queue and another opportunity to showcase production capability.

I don't see any other companies making anything that comes near the 999 in terms of stacked variances and engineering technology.

Remember, this design was submitted at Blade in the American Knife of the Year category, which many of you might be surprised, IT WON in 2015.

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/blog/zts-0999-wins-the-blade-show-american-made-knife-of-the-year-award

I am hoping I am lucky to score one, and I will use it just as I do all my knives. Some will buy just to flip, but that is life in the big city.

Pictures from Blade 2015 - and I apologize, it's hard (at least for me) to get good pictures there -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to go check my emails to see if I got the newsletter!

best

mqqn

6. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Zero Tolerance 0999 Limited Edition goes on sale December 7, 2016 at 9am Pacific Time through a select group of Zero Tolerance authorized dealers (USA dealers only) for $750.00.

Here's the email announcement: http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a3e16c20a2197540019bfeeb7&id=133418370c&e=de09d7c2d9

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Proprietary composite blade: CTS-204P/CPM D2
    • Carbon fiber insert in blade
    • Manual opening with KVT ball-bearing system
    • Titanium handle with carbon fiber overlays
    • One-piece titanium frame lock & backspacer
    • Blade: 4.1 in.
    • Closed: 5.6 in.
    • Open: 9.1 in.

Video from the 2015 Blade Show with Jim McNair. Go to the 4:47 mark for the 0999.
    [video=youtube;Dlk7RubVxVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlk7RubVxVA&t=4m47s[/video]

7. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I enjoy it when ZT goes off the ranch when it comes to design. Yes it is quite an unorthodox look, but every so often it's good to just run with an idea and see where it takes you.

I also handled the 0999 at Blade 2015 and I am nothing but impressed with it. A tremendous amount of time, thought and machining is in that piece and its evident upon looking at it. Billet titanium construction, CF, composite blade technology, and attention to details (everything mqqn above stated) are just some of the reasons to appreciate it.

Yes, it isn't for everyone. And yes, the price will put many off but for those who enjoy the brand and funky looking knives, this will be a keeper for sure. If it isn't for you, then it isn't but if it is, I'd say go for it.

I just hope all those who really want one get to snag one.

8. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Absolutely cannot wait to get one!

I don't really understand the rationale for people saying they should not have produced the knife. It's not as though they are going to stop producing amazing knives in the $200 range. This is simply a showcase of design and production potential.

Just as with supercars, there is no need for a 1000+ horsepower car that utilizes both electronic and gasoline motors, but I sure want them to make it. Today's cutting edge design and technology, is tomorrow's norm.

9. WadeWilson

WadeWilson Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Im sure it's very well made and high quality as most, if not all, ZT offerings. But it's 100% not for me. The price is steep, no doubt. The design is just a bit outlandish and over the top. it reminds me of all the futuristic Call of Duty games. Can't get into it. The more I look at it, the uglier it gets.

Edit: I feel like I need to expound on this. It's ugly for a knife. It almost looks like there was automotive influence on this. If these lines and materials were on a car, I feel like it would work better. I dunno man, I'm probably over thinking it but, it just doesn't look like it was made for a hand. Yet, I bet it's very comfortable. Ugh, my brain!

10. greeenie

greeenie

Nov 27, 2012
    I am looking forward to this piece, this is borderline custom in my opinion. The sheer manufacturing that goes into a project like this is staggering. Im excited to get one(or try anyways)

11. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    I look at it as an over the top concept/custom design platform not unlike some of the concept vehicles at the recent L.A. Auto Show.

Lincoln Navigator:
    [​IMG]

Pink Panther:
    [​IMG]

12. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Extremely intricate machining. Lots of unique touches.
    I can appreciate the amazing build......but $750??? I'm going custom.
    Joe

13. majen

majen

Dec 6, 2008
    What was the price of the 777 and 888 when they first came out?

14. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    ZT has plenty of standard models I much prefer over this design. It is a cool looking knife but I would never be interested for anywhere near $750. That is custom territory. I'm sure the ZT apologists will claim it is worth every penny, and maybe ZT just figures it will go for that much or more on the secondary market so they might as well price it as such. Regardless, I don't really what they do with the premium designs as long as they put out nice production models that are affordable.

15. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    I appreciate the work that went into this design. I can see beauty in its intricacy even if its not really my style. But that insert in the blade...WTH is that? I don't get it. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  16. bobpoptart

bobpoptart

Jan 22, 2008
    I like the ZT designs that 'push the boundaries' both technically and ascetically. I love flipping (deploying, not selling) my 0777 and 0454. I'd like to get my hands on one. We'll see.

17. bad_juju

bad_juju Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2011
    I think you guys are looking at it from too many angles. I appreciate it for what it is. A showcase knife with a ridiculous amount of engineering. I get that it isn't for everyone but you can at least appreciate the engineering and top notch materials.

Forget about price for a moment and look at what they actually did with a single piece of Titanium! The flipper and how it works is pretty ingenious too. I played with this the past two years at Blade and I'll be damned if I didn't keep noticing new details everytime I picked it up! I talked to Mr Jim McNair the same guy who designed the 0777 and he was pretty happy with it. You can see in the pics provided by Mr mqqn above.

Sure the price may be steep and you can get a custom or whatever for a little more but look at it like a halo car and what they are capable of. I'm sure some of this cool stuff will make its way down the line in the future. In my personal opinion, yes I think it's worth every penny. I will be trying to score one. Good luck to those who want one ! And for those who don't, thanks for your opinion and being honest.

Cheers,

Justin

18. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016

Ditto

19. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    Carbon fiber inset totally destroyed it.

20. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    I think the price reflects not only the amount of work that is going into it but also the limited numbers.

That's an insane amount of tooling and programming and other sunk costs to put down just to get this thing made. Spreading that only over a handful of knives makes it super expensive.

When you have a LE like the 0392, you get the spread those costs across over a thousand knives and it's not nearly that complicated like the 0999.

Are the looks for everyone, not at all. It's a statement piece about pushing the boundaries of what they can do machining wise.